Video Quality

jeffpratt

Question

Hi Again,

I've finally found a computer that will apparently allow me to work in EMC 10; however, I'm encountering new issues. I can successfully import from my mini dv. If I play this avi file, it looks fine in windows media player. But as soon as I bring it into VW, the quality worsens. It gets all "pixely"...like a poor resolution photo would look. Why is this? Am I doing something wrong? Do I have a setting set incorrectly?

As a test, I've taken a 15 minute video clip and imorted and edited it 2 ways:

1. with Roxio

2. with Windows Movie Maker

The size of the file that is imported is identical using both methods. But the quality is better when I bring it into Movie Maker than when I bring it into Roxio. I've been struggling with Roxio for several years. I was using version 7. I had problems with that, but I don't ever recall this particular issue. Therefore, I'm thinking and hoping that maybe I'm doing something simple that's wrong and easily correctable.

Thanks in advance. You guys are all so knowledgeable, I hope you can help.

-jeff

HP Pavilion dv9700 Notebook

Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T7250 - 2 GHz

3 GB RAM

Windows Vista Home Premium

32 bit Operating System

Ge Force 8600M GS 512 MB dedicated video memory

8 answers to this question

So does nobody know, or do you just not want dinner with me? This is the first time that no one's been able to help with one of my questions. Thanks

I have no idea.

Are you selecting 'best' or HQ when you go to burn?

I tested exactly the same piece of video using VideoWave/MYDVD Express and Windows Movie Maker/Windows DVD Maker to burn and I couldn't tell the difference in the final DVD. Well, there was one difference. The DVD made with Windows wouldn't play on my DVD player.

If I play this avi file, it looks fine in windows media player. But as soon as I bring it into VW, the quality worsens.
If you are looking at the 'preview', that is LOW RESOLUTION for a reason. Most computers, even the fastest, can not keep up for high resolution previews 'live'. The ONLY way to see the final output is to actually render the entire video and play it back on a DVD player/TV or render to file and play it back on the comptuer.

If you are looking at the 'preview', that is LOW RESOLUTION for a reason. Most computers, even the fastest, can not keep up for high resolution previews 'live'. The ONLY way to see the final output is to actually render the entire video and play it back on a DVD player/TV or render to file and play it back on the comptuer.

Yes Gary, I guess I am talking about the preview. I thought at some point in the past I actually did burn both Movie Maker and Roxio versions to discs, but maybe I'm mistaken. I've gone round and round for so long, I cannot be sure. I'll give it a try. If you're right, then I'll feel a little silly. BUT, let me ask you this...if your theory is correct, why do you think it looks really good in the Movie Maker preview, but not in the Roxio preview? Have you ever used Movie Maker?

I hope you're right. Thanks for the fast reply!

-jeff

One more question Gary...I'm rendering it right now. Should the render preview also look lousy? Because it looks worse than the VideWave preview. It has horizontal lines going through it all the way from top to bottom. Thanks again!

One more question Gary...I'm rendering it right now. Should the render preview also look lousy? Because it looks worse than the VideWave preview. It has horizontal lines going through it all the way from top to bottom. Thanks again!
Previews are just that - previews! Not sure what you mean about the lines.

Movie Maker has a higher resolution 'preview' and also takes more CPU power to do that. When I use Movie Maker and make lots of edits, transitions and effects, the Movie Maker preview slows down and even gets jerky. I never have problems like that in Videowave.

OK, so I've now actually burned some movies to discs, and the quality is significantly worse than what I get with Movie Maker. I've experimented multiple times with three different movies and have gotten the same results with all of them. The DVD has poor resolution, jagged edges, and lots of flashing when people are moving. I tried rendering in software mode and that helped with the flashing, but the overall quality is still poor. I've got to believe that Roxio is a good program, and being a novice, I'm probably doing something wrong. I just don't know what it could be. Basically what I'm doing is:

open roxio media import, choose AVC compliant DV devicechoose AVI DV format (not MPEG2), click captureedit in VideoWavesend to MyDVDset to hi qualitytried rendering in HW mode first, then also in SW mode with poor quality results

If I just play the AVI file (in Windows Media Player) after the import, it looks great. If I use Movie Maker to edit and Windows DVD Maker to burn the DVD, it looks great. And if I just hook up my camcorder directly to the DVD recorder that's attached to my TV and dup it that way, it looks great. But as soon as I use VideoWave and MyDVD, it goes down the tubes. If someone can help me solve this problem, I'll buy you dinner :)

-jeff

So does nobody know, or do you just not want dinner with me? This is the first time that no one's been able to help with one of my questions. Thanks

Previews are just that - previews! Not sure what you mean about the lines.

Movie Maker has a higher resolution 'preview' and also takes more CPU power to do that. When I use Movie Maker and make lots of edits, transitions and effects, the Movie Maker preview slows down and even gets jerky. I never have problems like that in Videowave.

OK, so I've now actually burned some movies to discs, and the quality is significantly worse than what I get with Movie Maker. I've experimented multiple times with three different movies and have gotten the same results with all of them. The DVD has poor resolution, jagged edges, and lots of flashing when people are moving. I tried rendering in software mode and that helped with the flashing, but the overall quality is still poor. I've got to believe that Roxio is a good program, and being a novice, I'm probably doing something wrong. I just don't know what it could be. Basically what I'm doing is:

open roxio media import, choose AVC compliant DV devicechoose AVI DV format (not MPEG2), click captureedit in VideoWavesend to MyDVDset to hi qualitytried rendering in HW mode first, then also in SW mode with poor quality results

If I just play the AVI file (in Windows Media Player) after the import, it looks great. If I use Movie Maker to edit and Windows DVD Maker to burn the DVD, it looks great. And if I just hook up my camcorder directly to the DVD recorder that's attached to my TV and dup it that way, it looks great. But as soon as I use VideoWave and MyDVD, it goes down the tubes. If someone can help me solve this problem, I'll buy you dinner :)

-jeff

Archived