Microsoft Security Component Upgrade

Rayi

Hello. I am trying to avoid installing Windows Media Player 11. It is well documented that it breaks Roxio 7.5 videowave, as well as problems with Roxio 9 but I still like to use Roxio 7.5 from time to time. Netflix is now requiring that you use WMP 11 in order to watch movies on demand. However, they say that you may be able to install the "Security component upgrade" to WMP 10, although they say it has been know to not work in every case. I was wondering if there would be issues with the "Security component upgrade" as well for Roxio 7.5 & 9. Any advice experience with this issue appreciated. thanks

Hello. I am trying to avoid installing Windows Media Player 11. It is well documented that it breaks Roxio 7.5 videowave, as well as problems with Roxio 9 but I still like to use Roxio 7.5 from time to time. Netflix is now requiring that you use WMP 11 in order to watch movies on demand. However, they say that you may be able to install the "Security component upgrade" to WMP 10, although they say it has been know to not work in every case. I was wondering if there would be issues with the "Security component upgrade" as well for Roxio 7.5 & 9. Any advice experience with this issue appreciated. thanks

Sounds like a DRM thing to me. I can only guess but I'm not hopeful that it won't cause problems with v7.5. Please let us know how it goes.

Sounds like a DRM thing to me. I can only guess but I'm not hopeful that it won't cause problems with v7.5. Please let us know how it goes.

Yes, it is a DRM thing. The secure component upgrade upgrades the "digial rights management" in WMP 10. I already went through a complete reinstallation of 7.5 because of IE7 and was hoping to avoid that again. I'm unclear as to what exactly causes IE 7 & WMP 11 to break Roxio 7.5, as well as 9. I don't hear of Nero having problems but I never did like Nero. If I try it, I will try it on another computer or hard drive.

The "Security component upgrade" did not help to be able to use WMP 10 to watch Netflix movies. I tried WMP 11 on another computer that I installed Roxio 7.5 and it didn't seem to cause any problems. I was able to go from Videowave to DVD builder and be able to burn an image to disc with no problems. In Roxio 9, I didn't have any problems. It seems IE7 is the big problem. Although, I have read that some people have had problems with WMP 11.

The "Security component upgrade" did not help to be able to use WMP 10 to watch Netflix movies. I tried WMP 11 on another computer that I installed Roxio 7.5 and it didn't seem to cause any problems. I was able to go from Videowave to DVD builder and be able to burn an image to disc with no problems. In Roxio 9, I didn't have any problems. It seems IE7 is the big problem. Although, I have read that some people have had problems with WMP 11.

Thanks for the information Rayi. Every little bit helps :) It's been known for along time that IE7 Breaks 7.5 but I'm not involved enough to know about WMP 11.

Frank...

I'm running WMP11 on 3 different systems,each of which has a different version of Roxio (8,9 and 10).

2 systems have XP (8,9) and 1 has Vista (10).

I've not had a problem with WMP causing any troubles on any of the machines.I don't run IE7 on any except for the one with Vista (included browser).

Archived