• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 17 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Major Trouble With Dvd Builder

elsquared

Question

Hi all-

I've been having major trouble with the DVD Builder on my Easy Media Creator 7.5 - I know this forum is for version 8, but where else can I go? Anyway, take a look at the screen capture below. You'll see the Production Editor is completely empty, where there should be a filmstrip. I've tried to change settings, uninstalled/reinstalled Roxio, and even downloaded an update from the Roxio website. Nothing works. Does anyone have an idea on what's wrong, and how I can fix it?

Larry

roxioscreen.jpg

11 answers to this question

Once you roll back to IE 6 and WMP 9 or 10, sometimes it takes an uninstall and reinstall of the software to get it working right. When IE7 came out, I did a lot of testing with EMC 7/7.5, and that was the case with me, the first time. I had to uninstall and reinstall. The reinstall worked.

Also, make certain that you have the Microsoft Automatic Update turned off or you'll have Internet Explorer reinstalled automatically by Microsoft.

Also, make certain that you have the Microsoft Automatic Update turned off or you'll have Internet Explorer reinstalled automatically by Microsoft.

Actually - download and run this and it will block IE7 from downloading and installing automatically

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

It's from MS so it won't do any harm (it makes a registry change as far as I know to take IE7 off the 'critical' list)

First thing would be to check to see if you have updated to IE7 or WMP11.

Either of those will destroy EMC 7.

To add to what Jim said.

The screen you posted is what happens when you install IE 7.

To uninstall IE 7 and roll back to IE 6 read this: http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=23162

Also, change your automatic updates so that it will show you updates before downloading and installing or Windows will reinstall it.

You can get over the problem just as easily and a lot cheaper by simply removing IE7 - despite what MS may say, it's not a needed patch - in fact they make a tool available to stop it automatically installing and even SP3 won't have it according to MS.

To gi7omy: I rolled back to IE6, and it is working. I took out wmp11. Rebooted several times during these tasks. Then put a clean DVD -RW in the new burner, opened EMC7, opened Create Slide show, opened my 8 minute, narrated show, and hit Burn DVD. It actually made it to about step 3 of the creation program, then crashed as before. And now I cannot get even that far. Everything is screwed up. I'm just about an inch from chucking the whole Roxio business and go by Adobe or MS equivalents and start learning all over again. Roxio does not respond to email queries; so score them at "0" for service. I don't need this aggravation, that's for sure.

Thanks for your efforts to help, but something is terribly wrong with my software, and I haven't a clue what to do, except get rid of it.

DDBoutwest

To gi7omy: I rolled back to IE6, and it is working. I took out wmp11. Rebooted several times during these tasks. Then put a clean DVD -RW in the new burner, opened EMC7, opened Create Slide show, opened my 8 minute, narrated show, and hit Burn DVD. It actually made it to about step 3 of the creation program, then crashed as before. And now I cannot get even that far. Everything is screwed up. I'm just about an inch from chucking the whole Roxio business and go by Adobe or MS equivalents and start learning all over again. Roxio does not respond to email queries; so score them at "0" for service. I don't need this aggravation, that's for sure.

Thanks for your efforts to help, but something is terribly wrong with my software, and I haven't a clue what to do, except get rid of it.

DDBoutwest

Check your e-mail spam folder for Roxio replies and then add them to you list of accepted e-mailers.

I don't have EMC 7 on my computer anymore but I believe that you have the options to burn the slide show to an ISO file. Do so. if it hangs, then there is something in the show that the program doesn't like. It could be anything from bad timing on a transition, to a bad audio file. Edit your project in Video Wave and then output it to an mpg2 file. Watch where it hangs (if it does) and that will give you an approximation of where the problem is. If it doesn't hang, just use that mpg2 file in My DVD.

First thing would be to check to see if you have updated to IE7 or WMP11.

Either of those will destroy EMC 7.

Jim, I have EMC 7 (took a while to learn the jargin and abbreviations), and I do have IE7. EMC 7 seems to work fine, but trying to burn a slide show encounters the error others have mentioned. I installed a new HP burner (HP1040i, if that means anything to you) on my 3 year old Dell 8400 (lots of steam here) last night, and reloaded EMC 7, to no avail. I know burner works as I easily transferred 4GB of slides as JPEG for back up. So if IE 7 is the culprit, can I upgrade to EMC 10 and get over the problem? Much appreciate any advice.

You can get over the problem just as easily and a lot cheaper by simply removing IE7 - despite what MS may say, it's not a needed patch - in fact they make a tool available to stop it automatically installing and even SP3 won't have it according to MS.

If you want it because it's a tabbed browser - I'd suggest you give Firefox a try - that had tabs before IE7 was even an alpha ;)

DDBoutwest

Once you roll back to IE 6 and WMP 9 or 10, sometimes it takes an uninstall and reinstall of the software to get it working right. When IE7 came out, I did a lot of testing with EMC 7/7.5, and that was the case with me, the first time. I had to uninstall and reinstall. The reinstall worked.

So if IE 7 is the culprit, can I upgrade to EMC 10 and get over the problem? Much appreciate any advice.

Yes. Easy Media Creator 10 will work with Internet Explorer 7.

HOWEVER, read the computer specifications for EMC 10 carefully before you buy.

Archived