Lock-up Since Att Yahoo

videorama

Question

Have had EMC for several years and worked great. Since signing on wit AT&T Yahoo IP i have experienced random lockups. Usually it happens while trying to add/edit something into the text track. sometimes it will happen every few minutes and other times not for 20 minutes. Sometimes it will clear with closing VW from Task Manager but will immediately repeat and other times that will fix it for a while.

I have tried turning off the AT&T pop-up blocker and Spam blocker - no affect.

Wondered if anyone else ever had this (when going to AT&T) and how they fixed it.

Fortunately, the system works as a whole but man it is perplexing having random lock ups!

18 answers to this question

I don't think ATT YAhoo installed IE7. One of the first things that I did after getting ATT Yahoo was try out DVD builder. It ran A-OK to an ISO and to disk. Thank goodness for that! Little did I expect the freeze thing though.

Again, thanks soooo much for the help. Every thing helps!

ML gets the cigar! I followed the instructions and created a short cut and parked it on the desktop right next to AT&T YAHOO icon. Used the short cut to disconnect ATT Internet connection and Roxio works flawlessly again! I am using the post-it to keep track of whether I'm connected or disconnected too.

It is great to have a place like this to ask for help and better yet to have such good helpers as you and grandpabruce to resolve our problems. You guys have made my day and I hope that each of you is having an equally good day as I am!

ML gets the cigar! I followed the instructions and created a short cut and parked it on the desktop right next to AT&T YAHOO icon. Used the short cut to disconnect ATT Internet connection and Roxio works flawlessly again! I am using the post-it to keep track of whether I'm connected or disconnected too.

It is great to have a place like this to ask for help and better yet to have such good helpers as you and grandpabruce to resolve our problems. You guys have made my day and I hope that each of you is having an equally good day as I am!

I am glad that ml's suggestion helped. High fives to you!

I do now, because I got that Sony a year ago, but when I used EMC 7.5, I had mpegs from my VHS-C tapes, and some were large. Editing took forever, when adding text, etc. I used Video ReDo to split the mpegs.

Lots of good info. guys - and I thank you for that!

Keep in mind Roxio ran fine for years until I got ATT Yahoo hook-up so I would think it has something to do with that.

I'm running EMC 7.01XXXXX. I know that some operations take more than just a couple seconds but this is WAY long. The preview build takes about the count of three and then the hour glass appears and it is all over. I have left it for 20 to 25 minutes (just to see) with no return. Funny thing is the Task Manager (Windows) kills it OK and even asks if you want to save your changes! As a matter of fact I was never running any 3D when this happened, just straight old text - no fade, no slide in, etc.

My first thought was Spyware (see I do read your posts) And ran a "Complete" system scan. Only return was a "Tracking Cookie" which the utility deleted (and it has not returned. May have been there for quite a while from the old dial up CompuServe).

I can live with it but will try the disconnect thing ML outlined and see what happens then. As a matter of fact, I'll feel better knowing I can be isolated from the net except for when I actually want to be connected.

Thanks again!

Keep in mind Roxio ran fine for years until I got ATT Yahoo hook-up so I would think it has something to do with that.

Emmmmm...... I just had another thought. :glare:

Did the ATT Yahoo install Internet Explorer 7?

Internet Explorer 7 'breaks' portions of EMC 7. You're going to run into problems when you try to use DVD Builder because it won't let you add titles to the menu.

Go to the link at the top of this board and follow the link on how to uninstall IE 7 and go back to IE 6. http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=23162

The ATT Yahoo should work with either browser because I have IE 6 on my older computer and it works with ATT DSL. However, you're going to have to change your Windows Update notifications to notify before downloading or it will reinstall IE 7. If you have problems, ATT has pretty good online support.

You're welcome. Glad it worked for you.

Well blast! I was unpleasantly surprised to have the same trouble again yesterday. It seems that working with .jpegs is particularly troublesome. The strange thing is the frequency of the problem - one time it is after a single .jpeg is added and other times after 10 or 15 at a drop. Most times it does not hang up at all (regardless of the number of ,jpegs) and then it will hang up several times in a row. I was originally calling it a freeze up but in actuality it is just hanging up on the process. Ending it with the Task Manager closes VideoWave and then all is ready for another round.

I was bummed about it but seems that I can dump all the .jpegs in a "Slideshow" project, save that, and then use the saved "Slideshow" project in VideoWave - soooh I guess that will be my salvation.

Question - would purchasing EMC 9 or 10 change this situation?

Well blast! I was unpleasantly surprised to have the same trouble again yesterday. It seems that working with .jpegs is particularly troublesome. The strange thing is the frequency of the problem - one time it is after a single .jpeg is added and other times after 10 or 15 at a drop. Most times it does not hang up at all (regardless of the number of ,jpegs) and then it will hang up several times in a row. I was originally calling it a freeze up but in actuality it is just hanging up on the process. Ending it with the Task Manager closes VideoWave and then all is ready for another round.

I was bummed about it but seems that I can dump all the .jpegs in a "Slideshow" project, save that, and then use the saved "Slideshow" project in VideoWave - soooh I guess that will be my salvation.

Forget about using the "Slideshow" wizard, use Videowave for any video, slideshow, etc assembly.

Have had EMC for several years and worked great. Since signing on wit AT&T Yahoo IP i have experienced random lockups. Usually it happens while trying to add/edit something into the text track. sometimes it will happen every few minutes and other times not for 20 minutes. Sometimes it will clear with closing VW from Task Manager but will immediately repeat and other times that will fix it for a while.

I have tried turning off the AT&T pop-up blocker and Spam blocker - no affect.

Wondered if anyone else ever had this (when going to AT&T) and how they fixed it.

Fortunately, the system works as a whole but man it is perplexing having random lock ups!

I think there's another Yahoo pop up blocker in there somewhere. I remember having to hunt for the second one, but I don't remember where it is.

Is that a DSL connection? Sometimes you'll have programs trying to update themselves in the background and programs will freeze while the updates are being applied.

You might have to go into the Windows Network connections and disable it while you're editing. All those programs have utilities that continually monitor your internet connection and depending on your computer, use up resources that you might need in editing. I created a shortcut on the desktop to the network connections that allows me to enable or disable it easily.

Probably not.

My guess would be that you're having the hang up in the preview.

Unfortunately, there's no way of telling what is causing the problem. It could be the jpegs, the amount of room in your RAM memory, or some other program interferring.... etc.

You can check on how much RAM memory your program has available while you're editing in VideoWave by going to Help\ About\ System information. If it's low on available RAM, that might be causing problems.

About the only thing you can do is save often and reboot occasionally.... especially after a 'freeze.' Rebooting is a pain, but solves a lot of computer problems. I routinely reboot before I start editing.

Emmmmm...... I just had another thought. :glare:

Did the ATT Yahoo install Internet Explorer 7?

Internet Explorer 7 'breaks' portions of EMC 7. You're going to run into problems when you try to use DVD Builder because it won't let you add titles to the menu.

Go to the link at the top of this board and follow the link on how to uninstall IE 7 and go back to IE 6. http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=23162

The ATT Yahoo should work with either browser because I have IE 6 on my older computer and it works with ATT DSL. However, you're going to have to change your Windows Update notifications to notify before downloading or it will reinstall IE 7. If you have problems, ATT has pretty good online support.

I don't think ATT YAhoo installed IE7. One of the first things that I did after getting ATT Yahoo was try out DVD builder. It ran A-OK to an ISO and to disk. Thank goodness for that! Little did I expect the freeze thing though.

Again, thanks soooo much for the help. Every thing helps!

Probably not.

My guess would be that you're having the hang up in the preview.

Unfortunately, there's no way of telling what is causing the problem. It could be the jpegs, the amount of room in your RAM memory, or some other program interferring.... etc.

You can check on how much RAM memory your program has available while you're editing in VideoWave by going to Help\ About\ System information. If it's low on available RAM, that might be causing problems.

About the only thing you can do is save often and reboot occasionally.... especially after a 'freeze.' Rebooting is a pain, but solves a lot of computer problems. I routinely reboot before I start editing.

Yeah, it is the preview thing because the hour glass appears immediately after the preview bar completes. Have 1.5 gig of RAM so that should not be the problem but something afet AT&T Yahoo came on board. Way over my head!

I think I have settled on plan B - I assemble all my Jpegs in W-MovieMaker and then output that to a file on the computer. I then open VideoWave and drag that file in as an entity. I can do editing (titles and such) from VideoWave. So far no hang-ups that way.

Again, thanks for the help.

I think there's another Yahoo pop up blocker in there somewhere. I remember having to hunt for the second one, but I don't remember where it is.

Is that a DSL connection? Sometimes you'll have programs trying to update themselves in the background and programs will freeze while the updates are being applied.

You might have to go into the Windows Network connections and disable it while you're editing. All those programs have utilities that continually monitor your internet connection and depending on your computer, use up resources that you might need in editing. I created a shortcut on the desktop to the network connections that allows me to enable or disable it easily.

Thanks ML! Yes it is DSL (over the phone line). I figured it was something like you mentioned.

I'm not very computer savve (don't know my *&% from a hole in the ground) so I'm wondering if it would work to just disconnect the phone line from the Gateway (modem?) box while i'm in Roxio?

I just hate that it takes spells like that. I just knew I would run into problems if I made any changes to my system so for years I have not added a thing to the computer - No IE11, SP2, etc.

Let me know your thoughts on unplugging the box.

As always .... Thanks so much!

I'm not very computer savve (don't know my *&% from a hole in the ground) so I'm wondering if it would work to just disconnect the phone line from the Gateway (modem?) box while i'm in Roxio?

I just hate that it takes spells like that. I just knew I would run into problems if I made any changes to my system so for years I have not added a thing to the computer - No IE11, SP2, etc.

Let me know your thoughts on unplugging the box.

As always .... Thanks so much!

Well, you could do that, but those connections aren't meant to be plugged and unplugged.

It's really simple to disable that connection. You have Windows XP?

If so, go to Start/ then Control Panel, select Network Connections. Look for the Local Area Network or High Speed Connection. Right click on it and choose Disable.

To make it easier to find, make that Control Panel window smaller then left click on the Local Area Network icon and drag it to your desktop.

Now you should be able to right click on that desktop icon and enable or disable easily. ( You might want to put a post it note on your monitor when you turn it off or you'll find yourself trying to figure out why you can't get online.)

I hope when you meant you haven't made any changes, that doesn't include cleaning up and defragmenting your hard drive. And now that you're DSL surfing, make certain that you clean out your temporary internet files occasionally.

Also, make note of what VW is doing if the freezing continues. When it builds a preview after you do an editing change, that can sometimes take a few minutes, but 20 seems like much too long.

Well, you could do that, but those connections aren't meant to be plugged and unplugged.

It's really simple to disable that connection. You have Windows XP?

If so, go to Start/ then Control Panel, select Network Connections. Look for the Local Area Network or High Speed Connection. Right click on it and choose Disable.

To make it easier to find, make that Control Panel window smaller then left click on the Local Area Network icon and drag it to your desktop.

Now you should be able to right click on that desktop icon and enable or disable easily. ( You might want to put a post it note on your monitor when you turn it off or you'll find yourself trying to figure out why you can't get online.)

I hope when you meant you haven't made any changes, that doesn't include cleaning up and defragmenting your hard drive. And now that you're DSL surfing, make certain that you clean out your temporary internet files occasionally.

Also, make note of what VW is doing if the freezing continues. When it builds a preview after you do an editing change, that can sometimes take a few minutes, but 20 seems like much too long.

Great info ML. Since you made it so clear I'll do the disable thing - I'm sure that is within my realm and also quite sure it will solve my problem.

I do defrag often (I have learned that and a good deal more by reading these forums that you and the others so graciously populate) and I have kind of made a habit of deleteing the temp files on a regular basis just before signing off line.

Good thought on the post-it. That is exaxtly the kind of stunt I would pull!

Generally it is right after the preview build (especially after a text edit or dragging a jpeg into the time line) when it freezes and I have given it up to 20 minutes to pull out. As I said, it is such a random pattern that it has to be a coincidental thing. It takes spell where I can edit for 20 to 25 minutes and then times when 3 or 4 freezes in a row.

Can't wait to try this new approach out!

I'll let you know what I end up with a good Roxio again.

Generally it is right after the preview build (especially after a text edit or dragging a jpeg into the time line) when it freezes and I have given it up to 20 minutes to pull out. As I said, it is such a random pattern that it has to be a coincidental thing. It takes spell where I can edit for 20 to 25 minutes and then times when 3 or 4 freezes in a row.

Now that's a bit more information than I had before and you might try something else first.

It might be what you're adding. Things like 3d slow everything down.

Make certain that you save every few minutes. When the program has to save everything in memory, it can slow things down.

Have you checked for spyware? Some of the spyware checks for an internet connection every few minutes and if they're trying to check at the same time you're hitting preview, unexpected things can happen.`

One additional thing that hasn't been mentioned. In EMC 7.5, editing any mpeg file was extremely slow, and if the file is large, it gets really bad.

Thanks, Bruce.

I'd forgotten that. I always use dv avi.

Archived