jedrekzbuffalo

Conversion To Pal

Question

Hi folks,

I've tried burning my NTSC project to PAL without success. I've clicked on PAL in the TV Standard preferences, but my disc comes out NTSC. Is there something I'm missing ?

Thanks,

Andy

5 answers to this question

What format is the source file and which setting are you using in the Toast Video window? If you are trying to convert the video inside a VIDEO_TS folder from NTSC to PAL then you need to first extract the MPEG files from the VIDEO_TS using the Toast Media Browser.

Choose DVD with the top button of the media browser. Insert your source DVD or place the VIDEO_TS folder that's on your hard drive onto the desktop. When text appears in the browser window use the button below DVD to access the titles level of the VIDEO_TS. Select the titles that you want that appear in the browser window and drag them to the Video window with DVD video selected as the format. Now when you go to burn your DVD or Save as Disc Image Toast will ask you if you really want to convert the format to PAL.

Thank You tsantee,

It worked. I must have followed a different path earlier, that's why the window asking me if I really wanted to convert did not show up before. What a handy feature Toast offers-ability to convert to PAL so that I can send the videos I make to family in Poland.

All the best,

Andy

What format is the source file and which setting are you using in the Toast Video window? If you are trying to convert the video inside a VIDEO_TS folder from NTSC to PAL then you need to first extract the MPEG files from the VIDEO_TS using the Toast Media Browser.

Choose DVD with the top button of the media browser. Insert your source DVD or place the VIDEO_TS folder that's on your hard drive onto the desktop. When text appears in the browser window use the button below DVD to access the titles level of the VIDEO_TS. Select the titles that you want that appear in the browser window and drag them to the Video window with DVD video selected as the format. Now when you go to burn your DVD or Save as Disc Image Toast will ask you if you really want to convert the format to PAL.

Now my problem is that when I want to compress to fit, it doesn't ask me if I really want to encode to PAL. Why doesn't it always ask me that ?

Andy

It won't ask you when using the Fit-to-DVD feature. You must extract the MPEG files and use the DVD video setting in Toast for Toast to activate its transcoding to PAL. After a VIDEO_TS folder is created - which must be done before the Fit-to-DVD can be used - Toast will keep whatever format exists in the VIDEO_TS regardless of your preference.

If Toast already did the PAL conversion from the extracted MPEGs, then the disc image file it created doesn't need any transcoding when performing the Fit-to-DVD process.

OK, thanks. It worked. I'm not sure why it didn't work the first time. What's frustrating to me about Toast is the inconsistency in the way things are labelled and the inability to obtain all info. about files (ie. TV standard).

Also, I'm wondering why not all files show up in the Movies folder when I look for files.