• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 10 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Installed Emc 10 Not Not Working

binzy

Question

13 answers to this question

[rant]

If I paid myself what I earn at work.... Just fixing all this stupidity with permissions (EMC10 etc.) could have bought me at least 4-6 new computers. It probably would have been faster (less painful for me) to just wipe the machine, put Linux on it. Then buy a new $400 PC for the kids.

:angry2:

[/rant]

even better, give your kids a Linux computer and let them start early... both PCLinuxOS and Ubuntu are good choices for new users

:unsure: Hmmm... I wonder if the system clean that McAfee does did me in? I had EMC10 working on my XP home machine... Then this weekend I discovered EMC10 won't run at all. In the past, I've blamed some of the "Windows" updates for breaking things like this.

Will try to do a "repair" install tonight to see if that fixes. I've downloaded the EMC10 NTLDR patch also. Plan to patch my system with that too.

It's always irritating when you run a program... and get "zero" indication of errors and it doesn't start.

-Dave

:unsure: Hmmm... I wonder if the system clean that McAfee does did me in? I had EMC10 working on my XP home machine... Then this weekend I discovered EMC10 won't run at all. In the past, I've blamed some of the "Windows" updates for breaking things like this.

Will try to do a "repair" install tonight to see if that fixes. I've downloaded the EMC10 NTLDR patch also. Plan to patch my system with that too.

It's always irritating when you run a program... and get "zero" indication of errors and it doesn't start.

-Dave

In other threads, both Norton's and McAfee's registery cleaners have been identified as causing such problems with EMC10. I believe it was GrandPaBruce that posted which entry had to be excluded when you ran these cleaners. I do not have the link to this post handy. From what I have seen, about half the people swears by the use of such cleaners and the other half swears at the use of such cleaners. I have used them in the past and from some of the entries recommended for deletion or "fixing", I decided not to use them any more since there are often good entries that for some reason are listed as needing "fixing"

hi, all been having fun with emc10 got it to run and made a video etc, and now a few days later it wont run.

Im using vista

any suggestions????

What's it do? Any messages?

Did you run any registry cleaners? If so, they might have caused a problems. Try a repair install and see if that helps. However, more info in your post would be most helpful.

This is the key that Who Are You made reference to:

CLSID\{3E867EE6-00C0-40FA-95C0-C9CCB3BA7692}\InprocServer32," refers to a missing file, "TempVector

I too found EMC10 to stop working mysteriously. Looking at my Norton's Systems Works One-button-checkup log showed the following which I have sent off to customer support:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

The key, "CLSID\{E9F98025-A7B7-44F4-8015-F6079B5CCE0D}\InprocServer32," refers to a missing file, "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\10.0\DLLShared\."

Was fixed with the scanner that:

Deletes the invalid Registry entry.

The key, "CLSID\{3E867EE6-00C0-40FA-95C0-C9CCB3BA7692}\InprocServer32," refers to a missing file, "TempVector."

The file extension, ".Sonic," refers to an invalid program identifier, "BackupCentral.File."

The file extension, ".CM10RCMResourceLoader," refers to an invalid program identifier, "CRCMResourceLoader Object."

The file extension, ".CM10RCMLayoutEvent.1," refers to an invalid program identifier, "CRCMLayoutEvent Object."

The file extension, ".CM10RCMLayoutEvent," refers to an invalid program identifier, "CRCMLayoutEvent Object."

I too found EMC10 to stop working mysteriously. Looking at my Norton's Systems Works One-button-checkup log showed the following which I have sent off to customer support:

The key, "CLSID\{E9F98025-A7B7-44F4-8015-F6079B5CCE0D}\InprocServer32," refers to a missing file, "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\10.0\DLLShared\."

The key, "CLSID\{3E867EE6-00C0-40FA-95C0-C9CCB3BA7692}\InprocServer32," refers to a missing file, "TempVector."

The file extension, ".Sonic," refers to an invalid program identifier, "BackupCentral.File."

The file extension, ".CM10RCMResourceLoader," refers to an invalid program identifier, "CRCMResourceLoader Object."

The file extension, ".CM10RCMLayoutEvent.1," refers to an invalid program identifier, "CRCMLayoutEvent Object."

The file extension, ".CM10RCMLayoutEvent," refers to an invalid program identifier, "CRCMLayoutEvent Object."

The second one is the one to have OBC ignore.

What's it do? Any messages?

Did you run any registry cleaners? If so, they might have caused a problems. Try a repair install and see if that helps. However, more info in your post would be most helpful.

thanks for quite reply...not very good at these things....

anyway....have run registry mechanic as you do to try and keep things tidy.....just tried a repair...still no luck.....I double click on emc 10 icon....and it tries to start but nothing happens....

any other info i need to provide????

thanks for quite reply...not very good at these things....

anyway....have run registry mechanic as you do to try and keep things tidy.....just tried a repair...still no luck.....I double click on emc 10 icon....and it tries to start but nothing happens....

any other info i need to provide????

You need to do a "clean install". You killed the suite with Registry Mechanic.

The key which disables EMC 10 when removed/altered is a subkey of HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{3E867EE6-00C0-40FA-95C0-C9CCB3BA7692}

When this key is removed, clicking on the EMC icons will not start them.

Until Sonic/Roxio fix the problem, if you are going to use a registry cleaner that's at all vigorous then you need to make sure this key is excepted by your registry cleaner.

Regards,

Brendon

I believe they are working on it, and might not use such a vulnerable system in future.

In the meantime, while I was prodding this I noticed that if I exported that key and then reimported it again after the registry cleaner had disabled EMC10, two things happened:

1) EMC10 was re-enabled. This means exporting a copy of that key will save you having to do a clean reinstall again. You can just import the copy of the key with Regedit.

2) My registry cleaner didn't seem interested in that key any more after it was re-imported, and wouldn't remove it after that. It's as if Regedit rewrote the key properly so the original error wasn't there any more. Reimporting the key before it breaks might make it a little more "bulletproof". It does with RegSeeker, but I haven't tested that with Norton's OBC.

Note: The value in the registry key is unique to your system, so an exported key won't help anyone else to recover from this problem.

Regards,

Brendon

This is the key that Who Are You made reference to:

CLSID\{3E867EE6-00C0-40FA-95C0-C9CCB3BA7692}\InprocServer32," refers to a missing file, "TempVector

Had to un-install EMC10, then re-install. After that... DVD wasn't recognized. So, had to "regedit" and delete the lower/upper stuff so Win XP would reinstall the DVD.

Will have to take care of getting McAfee to ignore this tonight. Only have a few more months of McAfee to put up with anyhow. I'm planning to switch to something else since having all this trouble getting SW (not just EMC) to work on my XP Home system. I've have "everyone" as Administrators. So, McAfee doesn't let you apply any (bare min) controls on what the computer users see because they are all "admin".

[rant]

If I paid myself what I earn at work.... Just fixing all this stupidity with permissions (EMC10 etc.) could have bought me at least 4-6 new computers. It probably would have been faster (less painful for me) to just wipe the machine, put Linux on it. Then buy a new $400 PC for the kids.

:angry2:

[/rant]

Dave

Archived