• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 21 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Dazzle Device To Import Lp's With Preamp

Rico555

Question

23 answers to this question

Well we know how well Media Import supports USB video and analog devices. LOL Personally, I wouldn't have thought about using it for audio capture. I always use Sound Editor's option for capturing because I usually need to do some editing, too.

Frank - instead of using the Dazzle 150's audio outputs to your sound card, try running the regular audio capture from Sound Editor and see if the Dazzle's USB audio input shows up as an input device.

Using one of my other XP computers, I installed all the Video and audio drivers for the Dazzle 100. This is the first time I have tried using the D-100. Hooked up all the audio and video cables from the out ports of my TV, then into the D-100, then from the D-100 to the USB 2.0 in port on my computer. Using either EMC 9 or 10 (Capture Video) I can capture both the audio and video both. That's works great. I guess one could strip the audio portion from that and just have the audio signal, but that seemed an odd way to go.

When I go to the Sound Editor program and check to see what hardware shows up, all I see is my sound card. The D-100 does not show up. If the sound card is removed, I'm not sure what I would see. Probably not the D-100 either.

I haven't tried seeing if the D-150 would show up in the hardware list as I did not want to install the D-150 drivers on over the D-100 drivers I had already installed. Thought maybe that would get thngs all screwed up. I'm not sure just how one would capture just the audio signal if you are trying to use the EMC 9 or 10 programs. I doubt if that will work at all. However, the D-100 does work great for capturing both video and audio using EMC 9 or 10.

I think I will stick with my D-150, as I can capture audio only, audio & Video or just video. Seems like it has way more capabilities than the D-100.

Frank...

When I go to the Sound Editor program and check to see what hardware shows up, all I see is my sound card. The D-100 does not show up.
Kinda what I would have expected. Not many programs will recognize USB audio devices. One reason I would be really skeptical about those USB turntables. Great idea, but you would probably have to use special software.

Kinda what I would have expected. Not many programs will recognize USB audio devices. One reason I would be really skeptical about those USB turntables. Great idea, but you would probably have to use special software.

The really odd thing about the D-100 Gary is that when you hook up all three cables (red & White audio & yellow Video) and capture from somethjng that has "Both" audio and video, it captures the audio just fine via the USB cable. Funny to me that they can't separate the two like the D-150 does. I think you are right on regarding many of these USB hardware, as there may be incompatibilities with other hardware and/or software.

Frank...

The really odd thing about the D-100 Gary is that when you hook up all three cables (red & White audio & yellow Video) and capture from somethjng that has "Both" audio and video, it captures the audio just fine via the USB cable. Funny to me that they can't separate the two like the D-150 does. I think you are right on regarding many of these USB hardware, as there may be incompatibilities with other hardware and/or software.

Frank...

So the the final result of this discussion (after getting side-tracked with the Dazzle 150) is that the Dazzle-100 that comes with EMC-10 Deluxe cannot be used to capture audio from an audio only device. That is all the OP wanted to know :rolleyes:

So the the final result of this discussion (after getting side-tracked with the Dazzle 150) is that the Dazzle-100 that comes with EMC-10 Deluxe cannot be used to capture audio from an audio only device. That is all the OP wanted to know :rolleyes:

Not with the EMC 9 or 10 Program

Frank...

After trying this myself and talking with higher ups in tech support they agreed the device can NOT import only audio.

Here is the email from tech support confirming this.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for contacting Roxio Technical Support

*** says sorry for the misinformation.

The only way you can import the LP sound is by using the line in only

According to Tech support the Dazzle USB device should work importing audio only, it doesn't have to have a video source. So yes it should work with cassette players and a turntable as long as you have an amp connected between the turntable and dazzle input.

The tech said there are many drivers that could interfere with the Dazzle device and that I should start with disabling my sound card and go from there. However, my Dazzle device works fine recording VHS tapes and making dvd's so I don't see how there could be a conflict. I will try this weekend and post my results if I get it to work. Thanks to everyone helping.

Walt---Yes it does work with audio only. As a matter of fact I use that probably as much as I use the video/audio combination.

Terry: That's probably my fault for just taking a photo of the ends of the cables Terry. Here's a shot of the cables laying out so you can trace the audio cables to the 1/8" mini plug that goes to the computer. Hope you can see it O.K.

Frank...

Walt---Yes it does work with audio only. As a matter of fact I use that probably as much as I use the video/audio combination.

Terry: That's probably my fault for just taking a photo of the ends of the cables Terry. Here's a shot of the cables laying out so you can trace the audio cables to the 1/8" mini plug that goes to the computer. Hope you can see it O.K.

Frank...

Frank, shouldn't the yellow cable be labelled "video" instead of "audio".

Also thanks on the info re: the audio only capture. Will have to try that one of these days.

Yeah,I know about the cable you're using Frank but on the Dazzles I have there is no output from the Dazzle that accepts an RCA.The only outputs from the ones I have are USB.There is no place to put that cable.Are you using the Dazzle 150?

To be able to use the ones with a USB out to capture audio the Dazzle would have to show as an audio input to the computer.If it doesn't then capturing audio only isn't going to happen.I've got it woking in both XP and Vista and in neither one can I capture audio only.If support says it can be done I have no idea how.

Nice pics :) .

I'm gonna see if I can get the 100 to capture audio only when I get home.I've tried before but never succeeded.Now if Support says you can then I think I'll give it a closer look.

First I need to reinstall 9.1.My registry cleaner killed it...lol

Terry, it might depend on the software used to capture audio. I'm not sure if Audio Capture in EMC is designed to even recognize USB audio devices. That's fairly much what it boils down to. Just because a device has Windows drivers, doesn't mean that all apps will recognize it. For example, I have a USB 2 webcam with microphone on it. The webcam and the microphone get installed, but nothing on my machine recognizes the USB microphone.

Even if EMC doesn't recognize the Dazzle audio inputs, there still could be some other app out there that will.

My Dazzle captures video and also Audio. The cables I use are RCA jack red and white for the audio and yellow for the video. Out from the hardware device and into the Dazzle unit, and then out to the Line in on my sound card with a 1/8" 3 ring plug. Works every time !

(See attached)

Frank...

I agree Gary.There could very well be apps that do recognize it.I just don't think that EMC is one of them.That's what puzzles me about Tech Support saying it does.I've tried before and it's never worked but if they say it should then amybe more testing is in order.I have my doubts about it working but only testing will tell.

I don't know that I've ever tried with Audio Capture but Media Import has never worked.

My Dazzle captures video and also Audio. The cables I use are RCA jack red and white for the audio and yellow for the video. Out from the hardware device and into the Dazzle unit, and then out to the Line in on my sound card with a 1/8" 3 ring plug. Works every time !

(See attached)

Frank...

Does that work for an audio only input such as a cassette deck or LP player?

Frank, shouldn't the yellow cable be labelled "video" instead of "audio".

Also thanks on the info re: the audio only capture. Will have to try that one of these days.

Sorry about that Walt. You're absolutely right. I mis-labled the Video cable. It should read Video cable Only.

Terry: I have both the Dazzle 100 (that came with the boxed EMC 10) and also the Dazzle 150. The cables I showed were the ones I use with the Dazzle 150. And it can capture audio only or audio and video together depending on how I hook it up. The Dazzle 100 device as Jess has shown has only the single cable that is attached to the unit and the end is as suggested a USB plug.

I haven't tried capturing just audio only with the 100 unit.

Frank...

I don't know that I've ever tried with Audio Capture but Media Import has never worked.
Well we know how well Media Import supports USB video and analog devices. LOL Personally, I wouldn't have thought about using it for audio capture. I always use Sound Editor's option for capturing because I usually need to do some editing, too.

Frank - instead of using the Dazzle 150's audio outputs to your sound card, try running the regular audio capture from Sound Editor and see if the Dazzle's USB audio input shows up as an input device.

post-49-1203096749.jpg

Archived