Ems Hang In Windowsxp

ssaulnie

Question

I've read through several other threads and did not find a similar set of circumstances so I'm going to risk fire & flame in hopes of getting to a solution. I have the most current update of EMC10 installed on two machines. One has WindowsXP Professional SP2 as the OS. The other has WindowsXP Media Creator with all applicable updates as the OS. EMC10 runs without any apparent problems on the XP Professional Machine. I do use a registry cleaner, Registry Mechanic, on both machines, but it has caused no problems wrt to disrupting proper running of EMC10 on the XP Professional machine. On the XP Media Creator machine EMC10 will not run properly. I have scrupulously used the manual uninstall/clean install method prescribed for EMC10 several times. The result is always the same. The installation procedure appears to run normally with no indication of a problem. Initially, Easy Media Creator 10 Suite and the subordinate applications run fine. I can run apps such as Creator Classic both individually or from within the Suite without problems. However, over time they stop operating. I don't use the applications on a regular basis so can't be precise about the elapsed time, but after a passage of time, the programs no longer start. When I try to start them, eithre from the start menu or directly in Program files, they try to start. I see an hour glass momentarily and then nothing-- no flash screen or any other indication the program is running. Since I have one machine that runs correctly, I can confirm by comparing their task manager windows that there is no program activity, i.e., running in the background on the problematic machine. It seems to me that something on the XP Media Creator machine is blocking EMC10 from running, but only asserts itself after a period of time has elapsed since installation. I've not been able to determine what or why. I've verified that Windows Firewall has all necessary permissions. As best I can tell settings on the XP Professional and XP Media Creator Machine are the same. This may in fact be a Registry issue, but I haven't been able to root it out. Prior to installing EMC10 on the XP Media Creator machine, I was using EMC8 on it without any problems. I performed the prescribed manual unistall of EMC 8 before attempting to install EMC10. An additional note, I have never used the Media Creator Module that came preinstalled on the problem machine. I have plenty of other software to accomplish the purposes. I do have Windows Media Player 11 installed on both machines and use it from time to time to play .wma format files. Thanks in advance for any insights or problem resolution advice the forum can provide.

5 answers to this question

Posting an update. After making my original post, I spent more time last night browsing the Hangup forum for additional info. I concluded that Norton SystemsWorks remained the most likely culprit. It's installed on the problem machine; it's not installed on the sweet one. I had already attempted to ensure individual registry keys called out in the forum were in place, but that had not resolved failure of EMC10 to start. There's are many other entries scattered throughout the forum, primarily by Grandpa Bruce, that refer to other problems with One Button Checkup. I decided to attack the problem with a sledgehammer rather than a rapier. To do so I:

1. Created a Check Point and backed up the existing registry.

2. Ran One Button Checkup with EMC10, whose installed programs would not start, installed and made all recommended fixes.

3. Performed the same operation with Registry Mechanic, my normal registry cleaner.

4. Performed the clean uninstall/install procedure prescribed by Roxio

5. Reinstalled EMC10. Installation proceeded normally, but it always does.

6. Verified that the EMC10 programs would start. They all appeared to open normally.

7. Created another Check Point and Registry Backup

7. Ran the registry cleaning module of One Button Checkup.

8. Selected ignore for all the file or activeX problems identified by One Button Checkup, assuming they were related to the installation of EMC10. I think that the number and specification of the errors identified will be system specific so I won't list them in detail. My approach was to set One Button Checkup to ignore them all.

9. Ran One Button Checkup (all modules) and fixed any problems identified (There were none for the Registry Scan).

10. Ran Registry Mechanic and chose ignore for a few problems that I could not conclusively determine were not related to EMC10.

11. Shut Down and Restarted the computer.

12. Held my breath and restarted the various EMC10 programs. They all appeared to start normally.

That took a couple of hours to complete, but after so many spent trying to resolve the problem already, what's a couple more on the margin?

Conclusions:

1. As discussed elsewhere in the forum, Norton SystemsWorks 2005 One Button Checkup is an EMC10 killer if it's not instructed to ignore certain errors it detects. Left unchecked it will delete a combination of key and activeX entries that are needed for EMC10 to run.

2. Fixing individual keys or trying to restore individual activeX controls is not productive. A clean uninstall/install seems necessary.

3. Status of long term solution is unknown. Start hangup problem has always appeared after some passage of time. If anyone who reads this post is aware of other programs that conflict with EMC10 and prevent it from running properly, I would appreciate your posting them.

Today, I have exactly the same problem. I have XP. I had a major problem with the download. In the middle of the download (after 2 hours) I received the message- "Script in this movie is causing Adobe Flash Player 9 to run slowly. If it continues to run, your computer may become unresponsive." I tried twice to download and the computer froze up. The third time I aborted that segment and it downloaded without a problem. I emailed and called support, in regard to this problem, but the response was to look on the site for a solution. No help what so ever. Between Norton and EMC10, I'm ready to throw the computer in the garbage. I spent 3 hours on the phone with Norton support and my head was spinning. Now today, I went in to work on a project in EMC10 and can't get it to open. I read your response and only wish I could make head or tails out of it. I'm not computer savy and wouldn't know where to begin. I regret ordering this software as I have never had a problem with any other.

Jo

The problem machine is the desktop that runs WindowsXp Media Center. I run Norton antivirus on both machines. I run Registry Mechanic on both machines. On the Destop with the problem I also run Norton Systems Works which also checks registry. Taking guidance from another thread in this forum I've made sure that Systems Works does not erase the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{3E867EE6-00C0-40FA-95C0-C9CCB3BA7692}. That key is present in the registry of the problem machine. I don't know if there are any other registry keys that the Symantec program deletes that would prevent EMC10 from running.

Ssaulnie,

There are some areas of the registry which are echoed in other parts, and your HKLM\SOFTWARE\ key may be one of these, however the prime key to protect is actually a sub-key of

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{3E867EE6-00C0-40FA-95C0-C9CCB3BA7692}

so it might pay you to protect the HKCR one instead of/as well as your HKLM key.

Regards,

Brendon

Are you using the same virus programs on both machines?

Which one is on the problem machine?

The problem machine is the desktop that runs WindowsXp Media Center. I run Norton antivirus on both machines. I run Registry Mechanic on both machines. On the Destop with the problem I also run Norton Systems Works which also checks registry. Taking guidance from another thread in this forum I've made sure that Systems Works does not erase the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{3E867EE6-00C0-40FA-95C0-C9CCB3BA7692}. That key is present in the registry of the problem machine. I don't know if there are any other registry keys that the Symantec program deletes that would prevent EMC10 from running.

Archived