• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 27 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Cannot Find Required Files

tonyosis

Question

I need some desperate help.

I am using MyDVD9.0 on XP machine, and have been using VideoWave for most of my productions including pics, movies and music.

Recently, I completed a rather large, 1 hour+ production and tried to burn it only to find that my DVD writer is not recognize (I am addressing this for a fix through another forum at this time). While trying to figure things out, I tried to make things work through MyDVD, without luck.

The BIG PROBLEM that has now occured, for some reason, is that when I try to open the Videowave file "DSMS" or something like that, the production opens with a prompt window "Cannot Find Req'd Files" with links to Retry, Browse, Skip, etc..

All of the pictures and music files are still in their same locations.

When I cancel in this window, the production opens with most picture placeholders having question marks.

What happened? What is the fix? Heeeeeeelp pleeeeeeeease.

9 answers to this question

Well, I did not find the error associated with "cannot find/locate files"; I was just making a disconnection/observation that the issue came several weeks after I cleaned my system with the registry cleaning program. I "feel" that this program may not be the root of the problem. I may be wrong.

And, yes, I was referring to the preview of the production related to the "choppy" jaggedness of the font (Amazone I think).

Soooooo, after I choose Video File for DVD Authoring Best (which if memory serves takes quite a long time), do I then export to MyDVD to create my menus?

Again, many thanks for all of you that are trying to help me out here

Well, I did not find the error associated with "cannot find/locate files"; I was just making a disconnection/observation that the issue came several weeks after I cleaned my system with the registry cleaning program. I "feel" that this program may not be the root of the problem. I may be wrong.

And, yes, I was referring to the preview of the production related to the "choppy" jaggedness of the font (Amazone I think).

Soooooo, after I choose Video File for DVD Authoring Best (which if memory serves takes quite a long time), do I then export to MyDVD to create my menus?

Again, many thanks for all of you that are trying to help me out here

It's quicker if you go to the File menu in VideoWave and choose Burn with MYDVD Express or Send to My DVD. My DVD will allow more customization of menus.

And if you keep loosing file, you need to check for a virus that might be affecting your hard drive, or make sure you back up that hard drive because you might be headed for a hard drive failure ( External hard drives are great for this. )

I need some desperate help.

I am using MyDVD9.0 on XP machine, and have been using VideoWave for most of my productions including pics, movies and music.

Recently, I completed a rather large, 1 hour+ production and tried to burn it only to find that my DVD writer is not recognize (I am addressing this for a fix through another forum at this time). While trying to figure things out, I tried to make things work through MyDVD, without luck.

The BIG PROBLEM that has now occured, for some reason, is that when I try to open the Videowave file "DSMS" or something like that, the production opens with a prompt window "Cannot Find Req'd Files" with links to Retry, Browse, Skip, etc..

All of the pictures and music files are still in their same locations.

When I cancel in this window, the production opens with most picture placeholders having question marks.

What happened? What is the fix? Heeeeeeelp pleeeeeeeease.

Have VideoWave relink to the pictures. Don't cancel out of the window that comes up.

I tried to relink. I selected Browse to go directly to the folder that contains the pics, but obviously I am doing something wrong. I have tried linking individual pics, in other words, I select the "missing" file, go to where it's at, open it, and then the missing file is not represented anymore. Wellllllll, I'd have to do that 200 times to get all the pics back!!!! What's worse, is that when I close Videowave and reopen it, all the work was for not because all the files are missing again.

I would not only like a fix for this (pretty please), what why this might have happened (if possible).

Thank you for baring with me, and thank you in advance.

Tony

I tried to relink. I selected Browse to go directly to the folder that contains the pics, but obviously I am doing something wrong. I have tried linking individual pics, in other words, I select the "missing" file, go to where it's at, open it, and then the missing file is not represented anymore. Wellllllll, I'd have to do that 200 times to get all the pics back!!!! What's worse, is that when I close Videowave and reopen it, all the work was for not because all the files are missing again.

I would not only like a fix for this (pretty please), what why this might have happened (if possible).

Thank you for baring with me, and thank you in advance.

Tony

Where are the files stored? Is it an internal drive or an external drive?

Before you go any further, do a File\ Save as.... and give the production a new name. That way if something goes wrong, you've got another copy to work from.

Usually the cause of this problem is a folder being renamed or drive letter being reassigned. A drive letter being reassigned can happen if you're using an external drive or have added a new internal drive.

When the Browse for Missing Files comes up, write down the path of the files and compare them to where the files are actually stored. If it's not the same path as the pictures, you might be able to rename the folder or the drive to correspond to what the program expects. If that doesn't work....

If the files are in one folder, like My Pictures, you can hold down the Control key and select all the pictures. The program should relink all of them ( and it will ignore any pictures that aren't on the storyline). Now you may have to see that relink box again, but check to see if the pictures are actually relinked. I got the box even after all the files had been relinked.

okay.

Files are stored on the hard drive, under the "Pictures" folder (in My Documents folder).

I added an internal DVD drive about 6 months ago, with no issues, until recently when I installed a registry cleaner. After that, my computer is not recognizing the DVD writer as such, but a CD drive. We're trying to work through this issue.

However, even more recently, I now have this issue with the files not being found. I have not relabelled anything. It seems my computer is spiralling into a black vortex, and I'm ready to throw the #$^@ thing out the window.

Thank you for your suggestions, I will try them tonight when I get home. Hopefully this works.

ps. would performing a system restore function to an earlier date undo this problem???

Tony

okay.

Files are stored on the hard drive, under the "Pictures" folder (in My Documents folder).

I added an internal DVD drive about 6 months ago, with no issues, until recently when I installed a registry cleaner. After that, my computer is not recognizing the DVD writer as such, but a CD drive. We're trying to work through this issue.

However, even more recently, I now have this issue with the files not being found. I have not relabelled anything. It seems my computer is spiralling into a black vortex, and I'm ready to throw the #$^@ thing out the window.

Thank you for your suggestions, I will try them tonight when I get home. Hopefully this works.

ps. would performing a system restore function to an earlier date undo this problem???

Tony

So, from what you say here, the suspect should be your registry cleaner, not EMC 10, VideoWave, or MyDVD. Does your Registry Cleaner have an "undo" option where you can tell it to put everything back the way it was? I'd try that first, if that's a possibility. If that doesn't work, then if you have a checkpoint in your system that you can go back to, preferably prior to running the registry cleaner, I'd attempt that.

Good luck!

No, there is no "Undo" option. However, this glitch occured several weeks after I installed the "cleaner", and I have not run the cleaner since. I can confidently state that I don't think this glitch is associated. I feel that this may have occured when I tried to import into MyDVD and then I ended up dragging some files "manually" to the DVD-RW so that I could show my client a rough-draft of the production using their Windows Media Player.

Is it normal, that when typing certain fonts (adding text) as a text overlay, for it to appear choppy and like !@#*&. Are there only certain fonts that look good?

Thank you very much for your assistance!!!!

Tony

No, there is no "Undo" option. However, this glitch occured several weeks after I installed the "cleaner", and I have not run the cleaner since. I can confidently state that I don't think this glitch is associated. I feel that this may have occured when I tried to import into MyDVD and then I ended up dragging some files "manually" to the DVD-RW so that I could show my client a rough-draft of the production using their Windows Media Player.

Is it normal, that when typing certain fonts (adding text) as a text overlay, for it to appear choppy and like !@#*&. Are there only certain fonts that look good?

Thank you very much for your assistance!!!!

Tony

Glad you found the error. Moving files plays havoc with video editing programs.

As to the text some have smoother edges than others, but they shouldn't appear choppy.

Are you referring to the preview or the actual burned DVD? Preview is terrible in this program and if you've got a lot of effects, the preview may be choppy because you're computer is working to display everything from the editing file.

To get a better idea of what the final production will look like, in VideoWave you can do a File\ Output production as..... choose Video File for DVD Authoring Best. That will give you a finished movie that you can preview and put on a menu in MyDVD.

Archived