Cd-text Will Not Write In Media Disc Creator, Etc.

Kimolaoha

Question

Hello all:

I hope that some of you might be able to help me with this problem.

While previous versions of EMC (7, 7.5 and 8) all burned Audio CDs that included CD-Text with no problems at all (i.e. my Burner is not the issue), I am finding it impossible to do so since my recent upgrade to EMC 10.

It makes no difference whether I burn using the Media Disc Creator application or the Easy Audio CD application -- CD-Text simply does not write.

In Media Disc Creator, I have obviously ensured that the "Add CD text" box in AudioCD Project Settings is checked.

I have done a Repair Installation through Add/Remove Programs. I have Uninstalled EMC10 through Add/Remove Programs and then re-Installed using the Installation Disc (I purchased the boxed retail version).

Nothing is solving the problem.

I note that the Uninstall that I did still left ALOT of Roxio "stuff" on the machine, including several of the apps.

Can any of you point me in the right direction, as I really want CD-Text to work?

I've searched the forums, and while others seem to have had a similar problem, there are no clear resolutions posted.

Thanks!!

Mike

• Answers 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used a variety of different sources [.ogg; .wav; .mp3 etc] without a change in result so I don't think source format is an issue, Jess.

I did my tests on a fresh XP-SP2 system with a fresh install of EMC10 on it so there were no other recording programs to interfere. Others are also getting the same results, so I think it's safe to believe that my results show the way EMC 10 works in XP when everything's going right. This would relieve one worry - that something is wrong with the defaults in EMC10.

It seems likely that something else on the Original Poster's system is interfering with EMC 10 [iTunes is always a good suspect - grin] but in any event the OP has got things working okay now, so that relieves the other worry.

Is there anything still outstanding?

Regards,

Brendon

Brendon, thanks for trying out.

I am having the same issue as the OP: No CD text appears when using MDC. :angry: But CD text appears when using Easy Audio CD. Like the OP I have iTunes installed.

I've been busy all day, I see you all, have been having fun tho!

I thought the OP at first said he couldn't get CD Text in either application unless he changed the Data and Backup option to DAO. That subject has been covered and one hopes everyone understands now.

Maybe you should start a new thread instead of hijacking his thread. Oh details, details, you know the drill. :) Exactly what and how are you doing it and what are the iTune tags, please?

I like Brendon, have no problem with CD Text in MDC. I can round up some of the iTunes DRM laiden junk music tho. I have a teenage neighbor kid that owes me a favor! :lol:

cd

Hijacking? Just trying to test if I can duplicate the original issue that the OP posted. Got the chance doing it and now posting the result. I used home brewed audio (friends' recording of their singing) that are in mp3 format. And I stop here as I can burn CD with text if using Easy Audio CD (like the OP).

Thanks anyway for asking.

Brendon, thanks for trying out.

I am having the same issue as the OP: No CD text appears when using MDC. :angry: But CD text appears when using Easy Audio CD. Like the OP I have iTunes installed.

Malatekid:

Original Poster here.

If you go into iTunes > Edit > Preferences > Advanced tab > Burning, is your "Include CD Text" option dimmed, as is mine??

I'm also assuming you DID NOT change your Roxio "Data and Backup" options to DAO (as I had to do, but which -- according to the contributors to this thread -- should have made absolutely no difference).

Perhaps iTunes is somehow hijacking MDC's CD-text functionality, but not Easy Audio CD's?

Also, you are NOT hijacking my thread -- PLEASE stay with me here.

Mike

I used a variety of different sources [.ogg; .wav; .mp3 etc] without a change in result so I don't think source format is an issue, Jess.

I did my tests on a fresh XP-SP2 system with a fresh install of EMC10 on it so there were no other recording programs to interfere. Others are also getting the same results, so I think it's safe to believe that my results show the way EMC 10 works in XP when everything's going right. This would relieve one worry - that something is wrong with the defaults in EMC10.

It seems likely that something else on the Original Poster's system is interfering with EMC 10 [iTunes is always a good suspect - grin] but in any event the OP has got things working okay now, so that relieves the other worry.

Is there anything still outstanding?

Regards,

Brendon

Brendon

Thanks for the obvious time that you have put into this little brain-teaser. I actually haven't got things working OK now -- just a little better. See my revised "Problem Solved" post. I can only burn with CD-Text through Easy Audio CD -- not MDC.

That is true, but the title on the option button in the lower right hand corner changes depending on the application that you select.

It is possible that it changes the way that the cd is written for Music Disc Creator, but I'd have to do some testing to determine that and I just don't have time right now. Sorry.

No!

The settings for "Sonic" applications, Easy Audio CD, Data Disc, Copy Disc, etc. are not ever seen in the "Roxio" applications – Music Disc Creator, Creator Classic, etc.

In fact the "Sonic" Data Options are more robust and have no counterpart in aged Creator Classic.

Malatekid:

Original Poster here.

If you go into iTunes > Edit > Preferences > Advanced tab > Burning, is your "Include CD Text" option dimmed, as is mine??

I'm also assuming you DID NOT change your Roxio "Data and Backup" options to DAO (as I had to do, but which -- according to the contributors to this thread -- should have made absolutely no difference).

Perhaps iTunes is somehow hijacking MDC's CD-text functionality, but not Easy Audio CD's?

Also, you are NOT hijacking my thread -- PLEASE stay with me here.

Mike

Yes, that part is dimmed.

I don't think iTunes is the culprit though. I uninstalled it and did the MDC exercise but no luck, still no CD text. :(

I tried the DAO stuff too but it did not make any difference as well. :angry:

Don't worry, I'm not going anywhere. I will post as I deem necessary. :)

Also, I am hopeful this will be resolved. There are a lot of knowledgeable people here in the Board. ;)

Does anyone not get this now?

cd

Hmmm . . . well . . . I guess I don't, cd, because I'm still not understanding why -- following your reasoning and explanation above -- the exact same .mp3 files, with the exact same tags, are burned with CD-Text in one application, but without CD-Text in another. I'm still pretty convinced that it's the burner, and that MDC and Easy Audio CD just burn differently -- magic potion or not. Sorry.

Hello all:

I hope that some of you might be able to help me with this problem.

While previous versions of EMC (7, 7.5 and 8) all burned Audio CDs that included CD-Text with no problems at all (i.e. my Burner is not the issue), I am finding it impossible to do so since my recent upgrade to EMC 10.

It makes no difference whether I burn using the Media Disc Creator application or the Easy Audio CD application -- CD-Text simply does not write.

In Media Disc Creator, I have obviously ensured that the "Add CD text" box in AudioCD Project Settings is checked.

I have done a Repair Installation through Add/Remove Programs. I have Uninstalled EMC10 through Add/Remove Programs and then re-Installed using the Installation Disc (I purchased the boxed retail version).

Nothing is solving the problem.

I note that the Uninstall that I did still left ALOT of Roxio "stuff" on the machine, including several of the apps.

Can any of you point me in the right direction, as I really want CD-Text to work?

I've searched the forums, and while others seem to have had a similar problem, there are no clear resolutions posted.

Thanks!!

Mike

In Music Disc Creator EMC 10. Click the project settings up top under the Audio CD tool bar, right side, the Audio CD Project setting box opens. Make sure a check mark is in the Add CD Text Box...

cd

In Music Disc Creator EMC 10. Click the project settings up top under the Audio CD tool bar, right side, the Audio CD Project setting box opens. Make sure a check mark is in the Add CD Text Box...

cd

Looks like Kimolaoha already did that.

I have done a Repair Installation through Add/Remove Programs. I have Uninstalled EMC10 through Add/Remove Programs and then re-

I think it would have helped if we had known earlier that you were having the same problem Jess, but not to worry. I've done all I can but I don't have iTunes so I can't go any further.

Good luck to you both, and I wish you success.

Regards,

Brendon

Thanks Brendon.

I only had the opportunity to test it when I got home today and found out I have the same issue. I posted so it would be known that it is not only Kimolaoha who experience the problem.

Anyway, there is the Easy Audio CD to accomplish the same stuff.

Hmmm . . . well . . . I guess I don't, cd, because I'm still not understanding why -- following your reasoning and explanation above -- the exact same .mp3 files, with the exact same tags, are burned with CD-Text in one application, but without CD-Text in another. I'm still pretty convinced that it's the burner, and that MDC and Easy Audio CD just burn differently -- magic potion or not. Sorry.

46 posts ago you were saying Roxio EMC 10 wouldn't write CD Text at all, and "(i.e. my Burner is not the issue)." :)

Click here.

I am relieved it is working for you now! :unsure:

cd

Question, how did the files above "home brewed audio (friends' recording of their singing)" get CD Text to burn in Easy Audio CD?

post-114-1203270252.jpg

post-114-1203302385.jpg

Like Kimolaoha

1) CD burned using Easy Audio CD shows CD text when burned in both burners (internal and external burners). The internal burner is the one that shipped with the PC.

2) CD burned using Music Disc Creator does not show CD text when burned with the internal burner. But CD text shows up if burned using the other (external) burner.

All process done as far as tags are concerned were identical (identical for the Easy Audio CD test, and identical for the Music Disc Creator test).

I've followed this thread and while I'm now starting to get confused, I decided to try a few things. I took 4 songs from Neil Young's Rust Never Sleeps and burned them to 3 cd's, same brand. I burned one each to my LG and Lite-On in one system and then to a Dell with a stock (junk IMO) GWA4164B. I then tried WMP, MediaMonkey and my car player to see which ones would show text. On all 3 players the discs burned with the LG and Lite-On drives showed text but the stock Dell player showed zippo!

Next I dug out an old Dell Dimension laying around that had a stock dvd drive (not sure which model) and a Plextor I put in. The disc I burned on the Plextor showed text but the stock drive once again did not. I have my answer but I'm not saying I'm no longer confused.

Edited to post that I was using EMC10 and Music Disc Creator to do the above tests.

I don't advise on software I don't use, or things I haven't tried myself.

Question is do you know why! :)

cd

In post #48 above, I replied to a claim of yours. I tested that and result came out different from your claim. A simple yes or no will suffice. So I take that as a "Yes"?

I was interested and was able to provide solution to Kimolaoha's issue (and mine) of not being able to burn audio CD with text using MDC.

You can do your research to answer your question.

I've followed this thread and while I'm now starting to get confused, I decided to try a few things. I took 4 songs from Neil Young's Rust Never Sleeps and burned them to 3 cd's, same brand. I burned one each to my LG and Lite-On in one system and then to a Dell with a stock (junk IMO) GWA4164B. I then tried WMP, MediaMonkey and my car player to see which ones would show text. On all 3 players the discs burned with the LG and Lite-On drives showed text but the stock Dell player showed zippo!

Next I dug out an old Dell Dimension laying around that had a stock dvd drive (not sure which model) and a Plextor I put in. The disc I burned on the Plextor showed text but the stock drive once again did not. I have my answer but I'm not saying I'm no longer confused.

The burner that shipped with my new Dell PC is an LG. So the common denominator I see among Kimolaoha, yours and myself is the internal drive that shipped with the PC.

The burner that shipped with my new Dell PC is an LG. So the common denominator I see among Kimolaoha, yours and myself is the internal drive that shipped with the PC.

Malatekid & Beerman -

I agree. The internal burner that shipped with my Dell (and I suspect, yours Malatekid) is the same GWA4164B that Beerman references above (I had earlier confirmed that it is actually an Hitachi-LG burner, identified as "HL-DT-ST DVD+/-RW GWA4164B-E113" in my system), and I have confirmed that the E113 firmware is the latest available. So the common denominator does indeed seem to be the burner.

Funny thing is that my external burner is also an LG, but not the (apparently) less-than-impressibve OEM internal burner that Dell blessed me with.

Why the internal burner burns CD-Text through Easy Audio CD and not through MDC is still a mystery to me -- cdanteek's explanations notwithstanding.

Cheers

Mike

Original Poster -- Further Observations and Thoughts

Well, I reverted back to the default "Data and Backup" setting of "Track at Once, Open" and burned another disc through Easy Audio CD. Surprisingly (and happily), it wrote CD-Text!! :) Predictably (and unfortunately), the same cannot be said for a disc burnt through MDC! :( I have no idea why initial burns with the default settings would not write CD-Text through either application.

I am inferring from posts on this thread that Easy Audio CD and MDC are completely separate applications -- one Sonic and one Roxio -- with different 'innerds'. While I still suspect that iTunes has something to do with this odd behavior (has anyone with iTunes installed -- besides malatekid and me -- actually verified that they can burn CD-Text via MDC?), perhaps there is another explanation, as follows:

CD-Text can be burned on two different parts of the CD (see http://web.ncf.ca/aa571/cdtext.htm).

A CD player must obviously be able to read CD-Text from the location it is stored, and we already know that not all players read CD-Text, so it is reasonable to assume that those that do read CD-Text cannot necessarily read it from both locations.

It seems that either 1) MDC is simply NOT burning CD-Text in my setup (and malatekid's) or 2) both MDC and Easy Audio CD are burning CD-Text, but in two different methods/locations on the CD, and my players are only reading from discs burned in the Easy Audio CD method/location. For reference, I am using, among other players, the WMP CD-Text plug-in (see http://bmproductions.fixnum.org/index.htm?.../wmpcdtext.htm)

Perhaps a long-shot theory, but worthy of a little reflection? I doubt, however, that Easy Audio CD and MDC would use two different methods for burning CD-Text.

In the end, I suspect that iTunes has initiated some sort of setting change/conflict with MDC's burning process that even an uninstall of iTunes will not correct.

At least it didn't hose Easy Audio CD.

Mike

Original Poster -- Further Observations and Thoughts

Well, I reverted back to the default "Data and Backup" setting of "Track at Once, Open" and burned another disc through Easy Audio CD. Surprisingly (and happily), it wrote CD-Text!! :) Predictably (and unfortunately), the same cannot be said for a disc burnt through MDC! :( I have no idea why initial burns with the default settings would not write CD-Text through either application.

I am inferring from posts on this thread that Easy Audio CD and MDC are completely separate applications -- one Sonic and one Roxio -- with different 'innerds'. While I still suspect that iTunes has something to do with this odd behavior (has anyone with iTunes installed -- besides malatekid and me -- actually verified that they can burn CD-Text via MDC?), perhaps there is another explanation, as follows:

CD-Text can be burned on two different parts of the CD (see http://web.ncf.ca/aa571/cdtext.htm).

A CD player must obviously be able to read CD-Text from the location it is stored, and we already know that not all players read CD-Text, so it is reasonable to assume that those that do read CD-Text cannot necessarily read it from both locations.

It seems that either 1) MDC is simply NOT burning CD-Text in my setup (and malatekid's) or 2) both MDC and Easy Audio CD are burning CD-Text, but in two different methods/locations on the CD, and my players are only reading from discs burned in the Easy Audio CD method/location. For reference, I am using, among other players, the WMP CD-Text plug-in (see http://bmproductions.fixnum.org/index.htm?.../wmpcdtext.htm)

Perhaps a long-shot theory, but worthy of a little reflection? I doubt, however, that Easy Audio CD and MDC would use two different methods for burning CD-Text.

In the end, I suspect that iTunes has initiated some sort of setting change/conflict with MDC's burning process that even an uninstall of iTunes will not correct.

At least it didn't hose Easy Audio CD.

Mike

This is no surprise… The settings under Options, Data and Backup have absolutely nothing to do with Easy Audio CD!

They cannot 'migrate', they are not 'inferred', they are meaningless to all programs in the entire Suite with the single exception of the "Data Disc" program.

It is no different if you set the default font in Word only to find it had no effect on the default font in Excel…

Music Disc Creator writes DOA and you cannot change that even if you want to…

Why do you get inconsistent results with CD Text??? I don't know, but I would suspect the source files.

This is no surprise… The settings under Options, Data and Backup have absolutely nothing to do with Easy Audio CD!

They cannot 'migrate', they are not 'inferred', they are meaningless to all programs in the entire Suite with the single exception of the "Data Disc" program.

It is no different if you set the default font in Word only to find it had no effect on the default font in Excel…

Music Disc Creator writes DOA and you cannot change that even if you want to…

Why do you get inconsistent results with CD Text??? I don't know, but I would suspect the source files.

Thanks Jim -

Trust me, I have been proselytized -- I do believe, I do believe, I do believe what you and others are saying about the Options, Data and Backup having absolutely, positively nothing to do with Easy Audio CD. In fact, I have now returned the settings back to their default settings and can still burn CD-Text with Easy Audio CD.

That said, please believe me when I tell you that it was not until I manually made the switch from TAO to DAO in Options, Data and Backup that Easy Audio CD would write CD-Text. Once switched to DAO, it immediately wrote and has now (crossing fingers) continued to write CD-Text. For some unknown reason, something 'clicked' in my system.

As far as MDC not writing CD-Text, I've done a repair installation, and I've done an uninstall/reinstall (but not clean). Nothing seems to matter (I still end up with ring around the collar).

That said, do you have any thoughts on whether the two apps (Easy AUdio and MDC) might handle/write CD-Text differently? While I suppose I should leave well-enough alone, the fact that something is not right just bugs me. I suspect I'm not the only one on this forum with that particular curse. :)

Mike

Solution Found :)^_^

Kimolaoha,

If you have another CD/DVD burner, try burning again your Music Disc Creator project to that burner. I have another CD/DVD burner and this time, the burned disc using that other burner shows the CD text!

Initially, I was using the CD/DVD burner that came with the PC to burn the MDC project. But the burned disc does not show the CD text but does using the Easy Audio CD. Were you also using the CD burner that came with your PC where the CD text fails?

Also, in iTunes, if I set the external CD burner as the preferred burner the "Include CD text" option becomes available (no longer greyed out). Looks like if the "Include CD text" option in iTunes is available (not greyed out) for the preferred CD burner, then Music Disc Creator should also be able to include the CD text.

If you have another CD/DVD burner that you can try on, please post your result (do the iTunes test as well). Good luck!

Archived