Dvd Video Motion Has The Hiccups! Is It A Roxio Problem?

Anglo

Question

Having downloaded a few .avi video files, after encoding is complete, on viewing I find that they all suffer from a slight fault in the graphics motion. Every second or so there is a slight jump or hiccup, not major but still discernible. Can I improve this or is it more to do with the original bitrate or compression preferences that the author has placed on it. I play them through my Mac using DVD Player and also on 2 different standalone DVD players. On all I get the same result.

In summary ...

Mac DVD player plays the finished burnt DVD with hiccup.

VLC plays the finished burnt DVD with hiccup.

I have a newish Intel iMac so processing power is not the issue.

It should also be said that no application will open the .toast file. I understand that this is similar to an .iso file but branded by Roxio.

I also have DivX player but this app won't recognise any of these!

This is something that I had also with an ageing PC converting .avi files some time ago. That time it was Easy Media Creator 8 that I used. Does anyone have the same problem? Well I think I have tried everything. The original .avi files play PERFECTLY using either Mac Quicktime player or VLC without any "hitch". :(

2 answers to this question

Just out of curiosity does it happen only when encoding the AVI files? Can you test with a quicktime movie (like a movie trailer from Apple's site)? Sometimes if the original movie is encoded in a somehow improper way, this can cause problems when encoding into another format. If the problem does not happen with the quicktime files, we at least know it is specific to the AVI files you are using. Text next with some AVI files from a completely different source. Let us know how it goes.

Just out of curiosity does it happen only when encoding the AVI files? Can you test with a quicktime movie (like a movie trailer from Apple's site)? Sometimes if the original movie is encoded in a somehow improper way, this can cause problems when encoding into another format. If the problem does not happen with the quicktime files, we at least know it is specific to the AVI files you are using. Text next with some AVI files from a completely different source. Let us know how it goes.

I have downloaded several movie trailers from Apple and other legitimate sources and they all view perfectly with no defect. I am trying to find a legitimate source now for an avi file to download that is not too big a file size but I am having difficulty finding one - can you assist at all? I know of many sites that I can get illegal avi movies files but do not want to go down that route if possible just to resolve this problem. However if I have to .......

I shall continue to search for something suitable but would appreciate any further ideas you may have.

Archived