Video Capture From Dv Camcorder

momoftwins

Question

I am trying to capture video from my Panasonic DV camcorder to my external hard drive. All goes well until I get to about 19 minutes into the tape and the capture stops with a message that 4 GB limit reached. I am importing using AVI, Normal mode and want to edit video later. I have plenty of room on my 500 GB external hard drive so I don't know why it keeps saying I have reached my limit.

When I get the message I can hit ok...then stay in the capture mode and click on the capture now button and it will go another 19+ minutes and I will get the same message. I just have to keep repeating the procedure until I have captured the whole tape. They are 60 minute DV tapes.

Is there a setting I can change that will allow me to capture the whole tape without it saying I have reached my 4 GB limit? I do click on capture entire tape and make sure that the time displayed is for greater than the amount I know is on the tape, but neither seems to make a difference.

Thanks for any help!

Amber

Rookie Mom

2 answers to this question

I am trying to capture video from my Panasonic DV camcorder to my external hard drive. All goes well until I get to about 19 minutes into the tape and the capture stops with a message that 4 GB limit reached. I am importing using AVI, Normal mode and want to edit video later. I have plenty of room on my 500 GB external hard drive so I don't know why it keeps saying I have reached my limit.

When I get the message I can hit ok...then stay in the capture mode and click on the capture now button and it will go another 19+ minutes and I will get the same message. I just have to keep repeating the procedure until I have captured the whole tape. They are 60 minute DV tapes.

Is there a setting I can change that will allow me to capture the whole tape without it saying I have reached my 4 GB limit? I do click on capture entire tape and make sure that the time displayed is for greater than the amount I know is on the tape, but neither seems to make a difference.

Thanks for any help!

Amber

Rookie Mom

You need to change the file system on that external drive from FAT to NTSF. The 4 GB limit is a Windows FAT limitation.

Search in the Windows Help for FAT and you should see an article about how to convert a FAT hard drive to NTSF.

You need to change the file system on that external drive from FAT to NTSF. The 4 GB limit is a Windows FAT limitation.

Search in the Windows Help for FAT and you should see an article about how to convert a FAT hard drive to NTSF.

Thank you so much! I will try it today! That has been a frustration since I started trying to download video.

Amber :)

That did the trick! Thank you sooooooo much!

Archived