Avid Media Composer..........

drbgaijin

Question

8 answers to this question

I'm using Avid Media Composer and it will not export QT-reference and DNxHD. Error says something about long GOP's and that I should export QT movie, which also does NOT work.

Doesn't seem to be too many options to export and NONE work except HDV which does not work in DVDit Pro HD.

The QT reference file does work IF you do a video mixdown of the timeline.

You can read more about this in the Tutorial I made about the whole process of getting a Blu-Ray disc from DVDitPro.

http://www.gaijin-eyes.com/tutorials/MCtoBLURAY/MCBLU01.htm

Another source of problems can be the computer that MC is installed on.

Though MC can run well on certain homebuilt "uncertified" computers - it can also take a dislike to them and cause all sorts of problems.

Regards,

Douglas

Hello Douglas,

I have seen unexpected re-encodes when the length of the audio and video tracks are not precisely the same length...

Thanks, John

I remember seeing a post by you on that very thing a while back.

However I am almost sure that the 2 track lengths are the same.

Douglas

I tried exporting using the QT Reference method and was told by MC "Cannot use this method to export long GOPs, use QT Movie instead"

I tried QT Movie with a few of the DNxHD settings.

When I tested the Blu-Ray that I finally authored in DVDitPro HD the movement was a little jerky.

Never had that problem before.

I tried exporting from MC as HDV and elementary streams.

The video and audio files were accepted by DVDitPro without any "may have to re-encode" message.

However when I came to exporting the .iso file the video and the audio were re-encoded first.

I have asked on the Avid MC forum about the QT reference file and long GOP problem.

If I get any informative answers, I will post them here.

Regards,

Douglas

I got some help over on the Avid MC forum.

I had to use the "video mixdown" utility and then I could do a QT reference file.

It still needed re-encoding in DVDitPro.

Personally I don't mind letting DVDitPro do the extra encoding.....

Somewhere the file has to be re-encoded for Blu-Ray.

In Japan you learn to be patient! :rolleyes:

Douglas

The QT reference file does work IF you do a video mixdown of the timeline.

You can read more about this in the Tutorial I made about the whole process of getting a Blu-Ray disc from DVDitPro.

http://www.gaijin-eyes.com/tutorials/MCtoBLURAY/MCBLU01.htm

Another source of problems can be the computer that MC is installed on.

Though MC can run well on certain homebuilt "uncertified" computers - it can also take a dislike to them and cause all sorts of problems.

Regards,

Douglas

I finally got it to export QT_reference from MC, but I did not have to do a video mixdown. Instead I transcoded the sequence to DNxHD, then export QT_Reference file.

Problem I've run into now is that the video, once imported into DVDit ProHD, is VERY SLUGGISH. So much so that you can hear the audio OK, but the video remains a still image until you stop playing, then project window refreshes to current frame of video. It is not smooth at all. I defragged the RAID drive BEFORE importing into DVDit thinking it would help in playing the files while I authored, but that doesn't seem to help. At a loss as to what to do now and I am on day 5 of this project that ony took me 6 hours to edit. I don't seem to be getting any answers or help here. I guess there aren't too many Avid users here.

Want to be more specific Douglas? QT reference file and DNxHD should work fine

I tried exporting using the QT Reference method and was told by MC "Cannot use this method to export long GOPs, use QT Movie instead"

When I tested the Blu-Ray that I finally authored in DVDitPro HD the movement was a little jerky.

The video and audio files were accepted by DVDitPro without any "may have to re-encode" message.

However when I came to exporting the .iso file the video and the audio were re-encoded first.

I have asked on the Avid MC forum about the QT reference file and long GOP problem.

Regards,

Douglas

Regards,

Douglas

Hello Douglas,

I have seen unexpected re-encodes when the length of the audio and video tracks are not precisely the same length...

Can anyone suggest the best format for exporting an Avid Media Composer timeline for authoring in DVDitProHD with the final output being Blu-Ray.

Regards,

Douglas

Scott, I am just a few days into MC.

So I may be jumping the gun. :rolleyes:

I'll get a few more hours at the wheel and then I'll be back either with more specific questions...... or maybe even with some answers!!!

Douglas

Want to be more specific Douglas? QT reference file and DNxHD should work fine

I'm using Avid Media Composer and it will not export QT-reference and DNxHD. Error says something about long GOP's and that I should export QT movie, which also does NOT work.

Doesn't seem to be too many options to export and NONE work except HDV which does not work in DVDit Pro HD. It gets to the end of writing files and thens gives error, something about mux something or another, I don't know, I forget right now as I have seen every possible error in the last 24 hours and I have still not been able to create a blu-ray disc from Media COmposer.

The export to HDV works ok and lets me author, but burning is another question.

Archived