• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 21 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

my7551

Update On My "situation"

Question

Wait a minute. What Scandisk are you talking about. Windows XP does not do that when it recovers from an error. There is no Scandisk in XP. Did you mean to say something else?

This is as frustrating for those of us trying to help, as it is for you. ;(

Wait a minute. What Scandisk are you talking about. Windows XP does not do that when it recovers from an error. There is no Scandisk in XP. Did you mean to say something else?

This is as frustrating for those of us trying to help, as it is for you. ;(

There is, kinda, sorta. If you right click your drive in Windows Explorer and choose Properties/Tools you can do an error check. It works much like Scandisk. Maybe that's what he's talking about.

Sorry bout that. Old Names stick in the head.

It is, whtever it is, that comes up after an improper (?) shudown that says

"Windows is going to check your disk...you have 8, 7, 6 seconds..."

Then it does the 20%...40%...etc....

and finaly says windows found 15 clusters (whatever) and made them into files (FOUND 0001) in root C, then tells me that there are X-allowcation usits, etc...describes the HD.

I suppose this thing has a real name, but for lack of knowing it, I used/use Scandisk.

I have never seen that since I have started using Windows XP. What operating system are you using?

Also, do this. Shut down your computer completely, and then boot up again. I am actually hoping that it will do the scan again, before it boots up. Just do it, and post here whether or not it scans again.

Sorry bout that. Old Names stick in the head.

It is, whtever it is, that comes up after an improper (?) shudown that says

"Windows is going to check your disk...you have 8, 7, 6 seconds..."

Then it does the 20%...40%...etc....

and finaly says windows found 15 clusters (whatever) and made them into files (FOUND 0001) in root C, then tells me that there are X-allowcation usits, etc...describes the HD.

I suppose this thing has a real name, but for lack of knowing it, I used/use Scandisk.

Do you have a Disc Utility program installed? Sounds like Partition Magic or something similar. Sometimes it there's a problem with your drive, XP checks it on boot up.

You should do some cleanup work on your drive and make a back up. You never know if this could be the beginning of the end of your drive.

There is, kinda, sorta. If you right click your drive in Windows Explorer and choose Properties/Tools you can do an error check. It works much like Scandisk. Maybe that's what he's talking about.

I know about that Paul, but it is not the same as it was in Windows 98 and ME. In XP, it is rare that you will get the chkdsk when trying to boot up. If you do get it, it will happen every time that you boot up, unless you use cmd.exe, after you boot up, to do a chkdsk. It will involve unmounting your main partition, and it is a simple thing to do.

In Windows 98 and ME, if the computer shut down improperly, it would always do a scandisk when booting up, but it would only happen once, unless you had another improper shutdown.

Edited by grandpabruce

If empowered, how about turning off the pre-view stuff for a half-hour?

It is most dificult to chat back and forth when there is ONLY a forth and no back.

IF I swear or spit, I guess the "empowered ones" also have a delete-ability....

We don't have the ability to keep your posts from being invisible. That power is beyond our capabilities.

No sweat. What is; is.

Anyhow, EMC8 aside, when you-guy's machines get "improperly shut down," you DON'T see/get "checking your disc for errors?"

I didn't upgrade to XP but did a new install (a year ago) on a new HD and a new computer. All went well. I have weekly done Microsoft's update and SP2 is on with now problems. DirectX (YES, 9C) is present.

I have had no, or minor, problems.

I do have Norton, but got rid of AntiVirus months ago.

I don't see any reason (I might be blind) that this whole thing should not have been simple...

Are you running XP? If you are, then it is not normal for you to get the chkdsk scan at bootup. You need to answer the questions that I have asked you, or I can't help, and I will just bow out of here.

I thought I had, but here:

WinXp, yes it CHKDSK (I looked it up) every time on an improper shutdown, NOT on regular shutdown

While looking for proper name (google), I found:

"...Modifying the Autocheck Time-out Value (Windows NT/2000/XP)

When Windows is not shutdown correctly it will perform an AutoCheck using CHKDSK on the next restart. This setting controls the time delay before running Autochk or whether it is run at all..."

at http://www.winguides.com/registry/category.php/122/

So maybe the proper term is "AutoCheck?"

I AM given the opportuntiy to SKIP by clicking the a button. That was what the "8-7-6...seconds" was about but the message STRONGLY SUGGESTS that AutoCheck be allowed to run.

It is usually finished in 30-45 seconds and the "Welcome" screen comes up.

Several seconds after that, is when "Recovered from major error" comes up.

Clicking on Recovered can either make it go away OR there is an option to see, In computeereze, the error.

I am unable to decode it.

Shall I go thru the EMC8 start again and all that it involves, copy the cryptic message, and post it here?

Ok, if you shut down normally, right now, then start up again, does it run the chkdsk? If not, you are fine, unless when you go to defrag the C: partition, it says it is scheduled to do a chkdsk and won't let you defrag.

If that happens, you need to go to Start/Run and type in cmd.exe When the dos box comes up, then type in the following:

chkdsk c:/ f It will tell you that it can't do it and ask you if you want to unmount C:. Type in y or yes. It will schedule it to do a chkdsk the next time you boot, and after it does it this time, you will be able to defrag, and it won't chkdsk on subsequent boots.

The reason that I mention this is, more than one time it has happened to me, where I am caught in the loop of it doing a chkdsk on each boot and not letting me defrag my C: partition. I have seen it happen to many other folks, and I have given them the solution.

Hi Bruce,

If I shut XP down untidily I always get that demand to check my file system when I next boot. It counts down from 10 seconds and then does what looks like a chkdsk. (It's interesting, because it's blue on my analog output, but green on the digital one). If I let it do its thing it goes away but if I keep cancelling the "checking file system. . ." it will keep appearing at boot time, until I let it go through the check.

So what my7551 was saying was when he gets to a certain place in Videowave, Videowave reboots the computer. The rest of the thread so far has been about what XP does as it restarts, which is a red herring.

Can we forget the restart procedure now, and get back to what causes the reboot?

Hi my7551,

Ok, try this for me.

go into your control panel and open the systems tab, in there find these box's

Now MAKE sure that the auto restart in unticked... very important.

now after you have done this , then restart, and let it do the autochk (This is the thing that all of you are querying on the name of chkdsk, or autocheck, Fsutil is explained like this)

On a System issue, (power failure, or reboot) Queries to see whether a volume's dirty bit is set. Sets a volume's dirty bit. When a volume's dirty bit is set, autochk automatically checks the volume for errors the next time the computer is restarted

anyhow, now do what you were doing before and see if it reboots, dont worry if it still does, as i need you to now go the the event log viewer (found under control panel \ Administrative Tools ) and have a look under the system or application parts of this, if there are any red alerts or possible yellow alerts can you please paste them in here as a reply, as this will let me see what happens to your system at hardware and driver slash software level...

look forward to your reply.

rydall2000,

Logging out now to do what you said.

I will FIRST do the adjustments, THEN try a forced-crash with MyDVD.

Ill be here waiting...

also as an update for you on your found0000.chk items you listed earlier, as a precaution you should move or backup anything that you think is important, because these folders of files that it cannot recover, and normally related to bios or hard drive compatibility, this can also mean that the Hard drive may be on its way out to...

so if you need stuff id backup just in case...

as grandpabruce is correct, you should not normally see the autochk and even if you do, it should never find corrupt dir or folders...

This is only my personal thoughts here , from my own experience, and normally you can fix it for a wile by doing a clean OS install, but if the HDD is on it's way out then , you know what happends next.

any how lets see what go's with the first thing here we are working on.

Edited by rydall2000

The check in Automatically restart came back by itself.

I didn't enter it.

I'll leave it be.

Hi, my7551, can you please cut and past the full info from the event viewer into here, i know it looks gibarish but i need it as it is shown in the event (click in the event in the even viewer, and you will see a full log of it)

On the possibility of failing HD:

There is a chance, but I doubt it.

Iv seen day old hdd's fail, you have no knowledge of what there shipping history is or how the drive was handled before you got your hands on it, also if it is the HDD, then this will start to happen more reguly and on the use of other apps on your system.

I've asked before, but is that 114MB download update/fix NEEDED?

As you have stated earlier, that you product was the boxed version, so the answer I'm afraid is still yes,

if it helps i can pack it up with a app called winuha and place it up on rapid share for you at a much compressed size, that way maybe you can leave the modem on for a few hours and get this a bit better than grabbing the raw 117 meg update from here?

Or you put out a call here to see if someone can cap you a cd and post it to you, and maybe you may find a local person who can...

Edited by rydall2000