• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 4 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Roxio Creator De 9.0.116 Cd Copy Problem

BEBecker

Question

My Dell Dimension E520 came with Roxio Creator DE Version 9.0.116 installed.

I can burn audio (cda) disks from files on my hard drive with no problems.

If I try to copy a non-commercial CD with ".cda" files on it, Roxio Creator goes through the entire process without a hitch, indicates that the copy is completed, and ejects the CD at completion.

When that CD is inserted into any CD player, It "acts as if" it is playing, but no audio comes out. This is also the case if I try and play it using Windows Media Player.

The original CDs from which the copies are burned play OK in any CD player.

I am stumped. I would appreciate any suggestions to solve this.

Thanks.

16 answers to this question

What happens there is your PC reads the source disc into a cache on your hard drive and then sends that to the other drive to be written.It's not a direct path from disc to disc.It would basically be the same thing as only having one drive.

Must be that there is some kind of problem with the 2 drives communicating during the burn process that keeps the disc from being burned.One thing could be that one of the drives doesn't support DAE (digital audio extraction).

There's no problem doing what you're doing.It may just take a bit longer than going drive to drive.

Sounds to me like a "buffer underrun" condition. I thought this problem had been solved long ago and incorporated into the CD copying software. My old Easy CD Creator 5 had buffer underrun protection.

Thanks Jim.

That will be the final step. Roxio suggested I download and run "pxengine" and update my CD writer's firmware. I don't know what pxengine is, but I may try it. I doubt very much that the CD writer has anything to do with this problem and I'm hesitant to fool with the firmware (if it ain't broke . . .).

UPDATE:

Running PXENGINE did not help.

Updating the firmware on my Sony AW-Q160S CD/ DVD writer did not help.

Uninstalling the CD writer's driver and then re-booting did not help.

Here's what worked:

I went to "Options" in the Copy Disc mode, and after trying "Use RAW mode" (which didn't help), I tried "Stage to hard drive" which worked! The copies produced from the audio CD I created by dragging MP3 tracks into the Roxio Creator window actually play if "Stage to hard drive" is checked in the options area under "Copy." I don't know why this works, but I'd be interested if anyone out there has any ideas.

They are two completely different programs… However Copy Disc is an excellent program and if the source disc was a proper Audio CD, the result will be an exact copy. It would appear the source is missing something…

Try it under Audio, using Audio CD.

I went to "Audio CD" and selected "Copy Disc" from that menu. ("Audio CD" under "Audio" gives you the window that requires adding individual tracks.) I got exactly the same results.

The "original" CD was created using the Roxio program and by dragging the ".cda" files into the box on the right-hand side of the Roxio window. The original plays on a regular CD player as well as using Windows Media Player.

The "bad" copy acts as if it were OK. No error messages during the copy routine, and on a CD player you would think it's playing - the time on the display advances and you can select other tracks. Just no sound.

It seems to me I remember having a problem with the Copy Disc function under the Audio menu and I read a post saying to use the Copy Disc function on the Home page (right-side of the Roxio Window) and that worked (that was some time ago). Now, neither seems to work. However I have not tried the Home page Copy Disc from a clean boot. Maybe I should try that.

I'm not sure what the problem could be then.

If you did the following then you should get a good copy:

1)Open the Audio section and choose "Audio CD for Home or Car"

2)Add the tracks from your hard drive and then burn the disc.What you will end up with is a cd that will play in your house or car.

3)Take the disc you just created and open the "CopyDisc" app that shows in the pic I put up.Select the drive you have the original in as the source and select a drive as the destination.If you only have one drive you'll need to put in the original,let it be copied to a cache,then put in a blank when it tells you so it can be written.

If you do these steps then you should have an original and an exact copy of the original that should both play in the house or car.

If you've done any other steps then that could be the problem.Forget about .cda files,don't try and use them.

Edit:Sorry you posted while I was writing and talking on the phone..lol.

If you can copy a commercial cd then you should be able to copy one you made.The 2 should be the same.There is an audio cd standard that has to be followed or players won't play the discs.Why the problem pops up in V9 and not V5 I have no idea.And yes,V5 will not work on Vista,you have to have at least v9 for it to work.

Thanks again.

What I have been doing is exactly what you described. I have two drives. The process goes smoothly except there is a long initial delay before Creator DE is ready to actually start the burning process - but that's a separate issue.

I'm sorry for one piece of misinformation I gave you. The files I dragged into the Creator window are mp3 files, not cda files (duh!, or doh! if you prefer).

Anyway, the simple workaround when I want to copy a CD that I created by dragging files into the Creator window is to simply repeat the dragging process instead of doing a "Copy Disc." I can't believe I'm the only one with this problem. Maybe the DE version has a bug. Maybe Dell has heard about it.

Or maybe it's some kind of subtle copy protection to prevent discs created from ripped tracks to be (easily) copied.

I appreciate the efforts.

Barry

Once again,when you dragged the .cda files you dragged no music,only the pointers to the music on the original disc.Does your screen look anything like this?If so use Disc Copier under the Copy part.You shouldn't have to make any choices about tracks.All you need to choose is the Source and Destination.

post-85-1203296692.jpg

What program are you using to make the copy?

It sounds as if what got copied is the .cda files and not the actual music.

A .cda file is only a pointer to the actual PCM coding on the disc.There is no music in those files.

If you have Disc Copier then try using it.That should copy the whole disc.

Generally speaking, multiple programs simply don't stop working…

However there is one common link here and that is your burner. Check to see if there is a firmware update for it.

If not, see the manufacture has a diagnostic software package you can run to determine if it has gone bad.

What happens there is your PC reads the source disc into a cache on your hard drive and then sends that to the other drive to be written.It's not a direct path from disc to disc.It would basically be the same thing as only having one drive.

Must be that there is some kind of problem with the 2 drives communicating during the burn process that keeps the disc from being burned.One thing could be that one of the drives doesn't support DAE (digital audio extraction).

There's no problem doing what you're doing.It may just take a bit longer than going drive to drive.

What program are you using to make the copy?

It sounds as if what got copied is the .cda files and not the actual music.

A .cda file is only a pointer to the actual PCM coding on the disc.There is no music in those files.

If you have Disc Copier then try using it.That should copy the whole disc.

Thanks for the reply.

I used the "Disk Copy" function in Roxio Creator DE.

Thanks for the reply.

I used the "Disk Copy" function in Roxio Creator DE.

Correction - I just noticed it's actually called "copy Disc."

Generally speaking, multiple programs simply don't stop working…

However there is one common link here and that is your burner. Check to see if there is a firmware update for it.

If not, see the manufacture has a diagnostic software package you can run to determine if it has gone bad.

The burner is OK. Remember, the CD I burned by dragging the .cda files into the Roxio window works perfectly.

Once again,when you dragged the .cda files you dragged no music,only the pointers to the music on the original disc.Does your screen look anything like this?If so use Disc Copier under the Copy part.You shouldn't have to make any choices about tracks.All you need to choose is the Source and Destination.

post-85-1203296692.jpg

I'm using "Roxio Creator DE 9" (came pre-installed on my Dell Dimension 520). My screen is almost the same, except some of the menu items are different.

I understand that "Copy Disc" is a separate program, and I suppose both "Copy Disc" items on the Roxio screen point to the same program.

I could not have dragged only the pointers to the original disc, because the original disc plays in my CD player which has no connection to my computer.

Perhaps the simplest explanation is that my Copy Disc program is corrupted. I suppose I could try re-installing Creator DE.

Before I do that, I am going to try copying that same CD again from a clean boot. If that does not work, I will try copying a data disk, perhaps one filled with jpegs to see if that works.

Thanks for your efforts - I will let you know what happens.

Barry

Of course the Retail version does not have these problems…

My feeling with any OEM software is, if I plan to use the program, I dump the junk and buy the Retail version.

Thanks Jim.

That will be the final step. Roxio suggested I download and run "pxengine" and update my CD writer's firmware. I don't know what pxengine is, but I may try it. I doubt very much that the CD writer has anything to do with this problem and I'm hesitant to fool with the firmware (if it ain't broke . . .).

I'm using "Roxio Creator DE 9" (came pre-installed on my Dell Dimension 520). My screen is almost the same, except some of the menu items are different.

I understand that "Copy Disc" is a separate program, and I suppose both "Copy Disc" items on the Roxio screen point to the same program.

I could not have dragged only the pointers to the original disc, because the original disc plays in my CD player which has no connection to my computer.

Perhaps the simplest explanation is that my Copy Disc program is corrupted. I suppose I could try re-installing Creator DE.

Before I do that, I am going to try copying that same CD again from a clean boot. If that does not work, I will try copying a data disk, perhaps one filled with jpegs to see if that works.

Thanks for your efforts - I will let you know what happens.

Barry

Clean boot did not matter. Tried "Use RAW mode" under options - didn't matter.

Copied a CD full of jpegs - copied perfectly.

Copied a copy of a commercial audio CD - copied perfectly.

So it seems there is indeed something different about the CD that I made by dragging tracks into the Roxio window. Even though it plays on an ordinary CD player, copies made from it using the Copy Disc mode on Roxio Creator DE 9 do not work.

I have an old Dell Dimension XPS T500 that I am cleaning up to sell or donate. It has Roxio Easy CD Creator 5 on it. I fired it up and copied the original CD which is not copying on Roxio Creator DE 9. The copy process was slow (only 6X, I don't know why) but this copy plays!!!

Unfortunately, I believe Easy CD Creator 5 will not run on Vista.

Does that information give anyone any ideas on the source of the problem with Roxio Creator DE 9?

Thanks again,

Barry

I'm not sure what the problem could be then.

If you did the following then you should get a good copy:

1)Open the Audio section and choose "Audio CD for Home or Car"

2)Add the tracks from your hard drive and then burn the disc.What you will end up with is a cd that will play in your house or car.

3)Take the disc you just created and open the "CopyDisc" app that shows in the pic I put up.Select the drive you have the original in as the source and select a drive as the destination.If you only have one drive you'll need to put in the original,let it be copied to a cache,then put in a blank when it tells you so it can be written.

If you do these steps then you should have an original and an exact copy of the original that should both play in the house or car.

If you've done any other steps then that could be the problem.Forget about .cda files,don't try and use them.

Edit:Sorry you posted while I was writing and talking on the phone..lol.

If you can copy a commercial cd then you should be able to copy one you made.The 2 should be the same.There is an audio cd standard that has to be followed or players won't play the discs.Why the problem pops up in V9 and not V5 I have no idea.And yes,V5 will not work on Vista,you have to have at least v9 for it to work.

Archived