• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 10 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

How To Create A Play All And Separate Movie Menu

FSchaeffer

Question

Hi, I actually had the menu all setup using Sony's Click to DVD on my Vaio laptop, but since I haven't been able to successfully burn the disc (it crashed towards the end of the rendering process!!), I gave up and decided to purchase the MyDVD 10 suite.

Here's my situation: I recently returned from a trip and have over 52 movie clips and about 250 pictures. I have consolidated my clips into 8 movies (1 for each day of the trip). I have used Video Wave to create these 8 separate productions with some text panel between some of the clips, so I can create future chapters when creating the Menu in MyDVD. I have also created 2 slideshows in VideoWave for my pictures.

The root DVD Menu I want to create will have 3 options:

- Play All

- Movie Menu

- Picture Menu

When selecting Play All, I want to play all 8 movie productions, one day after the other.

When selecting Movie Menu, I want to jump to a submenu with 8 thumbnails (one for each day) and if possible, close to each thumbnail, a link to another page where I can select each chapter separately. If I click on the thumbnail, it will play all chapters of the selected day and so forth.

I think I figured out how to create the chapters and thumbnails, but can’t seem to find a way to make the Play All work.

Thanks, but just for curiosity, why do you suggest I save the image file? Is this due to burning issues in MyDVD?

Regards

For most folks, who have posted in these forums, for the past 4 years, it has worked out better for them. Also, if you want to make more than one copy of your production, you have the .iso file, or folder set, and you can burn DVD's to your heart's content.

I was finally able to burn the disc following Bruce's advice to use DVD Video Copy. Two major problems I'm having:

- The disc will not play on any of my 3 DVD players I have at home (samsung, philips and Sony) - it will play on my notebook though

- All menus are working, except for 1 specific movie. When I select this movie from the main Menu, it takes me to a submenu with all it's chapters (like all other movies). If I then select any chapter (by clicking on it's thumbnail), instead of playing the chapter, it basically stops playing - it apparently goes towards the end of the DVD production and stops. I then have to click on PLAY on the DVD player in order to go back to the movie production.

You're welcome, and good luck.

Bruce, I'm having trouble burning the image file. The total project size exceeds in 2min or 116Mb. I selected High Quality and went into File -> Burn Project to Disc..., unchecked the "Burn to Disc" option and selected "Save disc image file", picked a name and location for the file and selected "+R DL" as the target media. As soon as I click on Burn, I get a message saying "The stimated size is larger than the disc capacity. If you continue, content may be truncated. Are you Sure?". I then click OK. It starts the "Encoding Preview" and after about 2 min I get a message "The project size exceeds the media capacity". My only option is to click in "Details..", which brings me a window with the exact same message or "Ok", which brings me back to the project window.

Am I doing anything wrong here?

This is not Bruce.

Here is my suggestion:

It appears that the total duration of your movie exceeds the about 2 hour that a DL disc can accomodate. My suggestion is to break the production into three: maybe a little less than an hour for each of the first two productions and the remainder in the 3rd production. So you can burn each one to a standard disc.

Or break it into a little less than 2 hour for the first production and the remainder in a second production. You burn the first one in a DL and the second one in a standard disc.

Bruce, I'm having trouble burning the image file. The total project size exceeds in 2min or 116Mb. I selected High Quality and went into File -> Burn Project to Disc..., unchecked the "Burn to Disc" option and selected "Save disc image file", picked a name and location for the file and selected "+R DL" as the target media. As soon as I click on Burn, I get a message saying "The stimated size is larger than the disc capacity. If you continue, content may be truncated. Are you Sure?". I then click OK. It starts the "Encoding Preview" and after about 2 min I get a message "The project size exceeds the media capacity". My only option is to click in "Details..", which brings me a window with the exact same message or "Ok", which brings me back to the project window.

Am I doing anything wrong here?

What happens when you select Video folder as the output option instead of image file? I just tried it using 2 movies that are combined as one 3hour movie and there were no error messages. I stopped the encoding after 5 minutes. When I tried to create the image file I got the same error messages as you did. Of course if I were to try and burn the video folder using Copy&Convert the same error might still pop up.

What happens when you select Video folder as the output option instead of image file? I just tried it using 2 movies that are combined as one 3hour movie and there were no error messages. I stopped the encoding after 5 minutes. When I tried to create the image file I got the same error messages as you did. Of course if I were to try and burn the video folder using Copy&Convert the same error might still pop up.

Hello all, I did follow the sugestion to select the Video Folder and it completed with no erros. I know have 2 folders: ROXIOPLASMA and VIDEO_TS, with a bunch of VOB files. This may sound stupid, but how do I burn this? I went into Copy& Convert and selected Video Compilation and then add movies and pointed to the folder it created - my question is, if I select all files, will it burn the disk with all the menus, chapters, etc?

Now going back to my root problem. Someone towards the beginning of this thread had suggested I keep the High Quality resolution and save to image before actually burning it, knowing I would have more than 2 hours of video. The odd thing is that if I select "Fit to disk", instead of HQ and select save to image file, I get the same error message stating it won't fit the disk. I haven't tried burning directly using the Fit to disk, but i would assume it would do exactly the same thing, only not saving the file first..

Hello all, I did follow the sugestion to select the Video Folder and it completed with no erros. I know have 2 folders: ROXIOPLASMA and VIDEO_TS, with a bunch of VOB files. This may sound stupid, but how do I burn this? I went into Copy& Convert and selected Video Compilation and then add movies and pointed to the folder it created - my question is, if I select all files, will it burn the disk with all the menus, chapters, etc?

Now going back to my root problem. Someone towards the beginning of this thread had suggested I keep the High Quality resolution and save to image before actually burning it, knowing I would have more than 2 hours of video. The odd thing is that if I select "Fit to disk", instead of HQ and select save to image file, I get the same error message stating it won't fit the disk. I haven't tried burning directly using the Fit to disk, but i would assume it would do exactly the same thing, only not saving the file first..

It will create a Folder even though the time exceeds disc capacity.

We do this because when you use Copy & Convert to burn, it will fit the material to the disc. The algorithm used in C&C is superior to what is in MyDVD, so Fit to Disc is a poor choice and why no one bothered to suggest it.

Likewise C&C will include all of the menus, it is why it was suggested…

You should have a disc or two of reusable RW media around. Faster to burn on that and see the results!

It will create a Folder even though the time exceeds disc capacity.

We do this because when you use Copy & Convert to burn, it will fit the material to the disc. The algorithm used in C&C is superior to what is in MyDVD, so Fit to Disc is a poor choice and why no one bothered to suggest it.

Likewise C&C will include all of the menus, it is why it was suggested…

You should have a disc or two of reusable RW media around. Faster to burn on that and see the results!

Jim, thanks for the clarification. Since there aren't any (that I know of) rewritable dual layer discs available, I want to make sure the overall video quality of my project is not so bad before actually burning the DVD, thus I would like to be able to watch the DVD using the 2 folders it has just created.

I then opened Roxio's media player, selected the folder and was able to watch it - the Menu quality was little bit on the low resolution side - Can someone confirm that by doing what I'm doing, I will actually see the exact result in terms of video quality compared to the result if I were to burn the DVD and watch it on a normal DVD player?

Jim, thanks for the clarification. Since there aren't any (that I know of) rewritable dual layer discs available, I want to make sure the overall video quality of my project is not so bad before actually burning the DVD, thus I would like to be able to watch the DVD using the 2 folders it has just created.

I then opened Roxio's media player, selected the folder and was able to watch it - the Menu quality was little bit on the low resolution side - Can someone confirm that by doing what I'm doing, I will actually see the exact result in terms of video quality compared to the result if I were to burn the DVD and watch it on a normal DVD player?

If you only burned the one production, don't use Vide Compilation to burn. Use DVD Video Copy. Under the Source dropdown box, use the browse function to go to the folder you just saved. Click on the Video_TS folder. It will take a little while before it shows up in the window. When it does, click on OK. In the Disc size box below, make sure that you have DL selected. Then, burn.

The Video Compilation tab is for combining more than one of your saved productions. You won't get any menus that you created, going this route. You can add a quick menu, though.

You are correct that no DL RW media has ever been available, probably never will be!

You will not be able to see the final quality of DL until you actually try one on your TV. What you see on the PC is close, but never the same.

I have never heard of any in the US but it has been made. JVC Intros Single-sided DL DVD-RW Media

Might have to go to Japan to find some.

cd

I have never heard of any in the US but it has been made. JVC Intros Single-sided DL DVD-RW Media

Might have to go to Japan to find some.

cd

That was 6 months ago, you would think if it was going to bear fruit it would have blossomed by now…

I think that it cannot compete with Blu-Ray financially and was left to rot in the field…

Consider that people have yet to climb over each other to get to DL burners and media, what possible future would DL RW have???

That was 6 months ago, you would think if it was going to bear fruit it would have blossomed by now…

I think that it cannot compete with Blu-Ray financially and was left to rot in the field…

Consider that people have yet to climb over each other to get to DL burners and media, what possible future would DL RW have???

Standard DVD will "compete with Blu-Ray financially" for a long time.

Climb over each other, please point me to where I could buy a single layer DVD Burner! Just because your set tops and software doesn't produce a DL DVD that plays correct, doesn't mean other folks aren't successful and use them.

cd

This is a great debate about vaporware… It is like debating on if potable (drinkable) water exists for our astronauts to use on Mars!

Here are some other things to ponder while waiting for the ship to arrive:

The JVC Announcement only mentions DATA writing. Will it be usable in any Player?

JVC refers to
"continuous rewriting"
. Does this mean no Sessions?

JVC is developing 'dash' media. Roxio is not capable of writing Sessions to 'dash' DL…

Wake me up if the boat ever arrives, I can't wait to play with some. I'm a sucker for new toys!

"JVC has announced it is shipping what it claims is the world's first single-sided, dual-layer rewritable DVD media, enabling users to store data using a dual-layer capable DVD burner..."

Sounds like any of the current DL burners should work fine with those DVD RW DL discs to me and I seriously doubt they were developed to compete with Blueray.

"JVC has announced it is shipping what it claims is the world's first single-sided, dual-layer rewritable DVD media, enabling users to store data using a dual-layer capable DVD burner..."

Sounds like any of the current DL burners should work fine with those DVD RW DL discs to me and I seriously doubt they were developed to compete with Blueray.

Let me know if you ever see one…

Hi, I actually had the menu all setup using Sony's Click to DVD on my Vaio laptop, but since I haven't been able to successfully burn the disc (it crashed towards the end of the rendering process!!), I gave up and decided to purchase the MyDVD 10 suite.

Here's my situation: I recently returned from a trip and have over 52 movie clips and about 250 pictures. I have consolidated my clips into 8 movies (1 for each day of the trip). I have used Video Wave to create these 8 separate productions with some text panel between some of the clips, so I can create future chapters when creating the Menu in MyDVD. I have also created 2 slideshows in VideoWave for my pictures.

The root DVD Menu I want to create will have 3 options:

- Play All

- Movie Menu

- Picture Menu

When selecting Play All, I want to play all 8 movie productions, one day after the other.

When selecting Movie Menu, I want to jump to a submenu with 8 thumbnails (one for each day) and if possible, close to each thumbnail, a link to another page where I can select each chapter separately. If I click on the thumbnail, it will play all chapters of the selected day and so forth.

I think I figured out how to create the chapters and thumbnails, but can’t seem to find a way to make the Play All work.

Before anyone answers that question, how much total time do you have to burn to the disc? Single or double layer? Remember that you can burn only about ONE hour of video to a single sided disc at best quality; you can get more at a reduced quality. Assuming that you have 8 videos and one slide show, then the videos would have to be no more than about 12 minutes each since you have to leave room for the menu and the other files that allow the disc to be played. You may not like the quality if you do this to one single sided disc.

I know that is not the question you asked but it is important that the project be planned before you start adding extra buttons.

Look in the Tips and Trick area of EMC 9 for help on the menu. I think that there is a play all type button in MyDVD but I have not used it; perhaps someone else can help.

Archived