• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 9 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Emc10

tinap

Question

I just ordered EMC 10. I have in my computer now EMC 6 and 7 which I have not used in a while.

I have now WXP home but I will eventually buy Vista. My computer is 5 years old, running excellent. I just do not want to create problems that I do not have yet.

I just read that discs burned with Drag to Disc ( part of EMC7) will no longer be readable in EMC10 unless I retain Drag to disc

! - I have no idea which ones are the files needed to run Drag to disc.

2 - I do not know which ones of my CD were burned by using Drag to Disc (quite a few of them). What can I do now before I install EMC 10 so that my discs will be readable eventually?

Does anyone have any idea or how did anyone work around this problem?

Thanks for any help

Tina

8 answers to this question

Hi Everyone: thanks for all the suggestions. Is there anyway that I can tell by exploring my CDs that I would know if they were burned by using drag to disc?

I haved a lot of CDs and copying them all back to my pc and then re burning them is really a task. Thery are mostly pictures that I intend to keep so maybe I do not have a choice.

Not being experienced I did not know that drag to disc was not the best solution. It was easy!!

I do not understand however why I would not be able to read those cd burned by drag to disc in any computer. I am not an expert so if someone could explain this to me it would be really great!!

Maybe I am misunderstanding something: if I no longer have drag to disc in my computer eventually I will not be able to read my cd burned by drag to disc?

Thanks

Tina

Tina: As I mentioned, they should be readable on any XP/Vista PC without any action on your part…

The only way to check them would be using Windows Explorer and look at the File System under Properties.

If any of the following File Systems are used, they are packet writer formatted:

• CDUDFRW
  • CDUDFR
  • UDFRDR

As far as your Old PC, you can look at these discs right now. Likewise, if they would prove not readable on your New PC, you can copy the files on your old one to a new CD using XP's built in CD Burning ability.

Keep us informed as to how this works out.

I just ordered EMC 10. I have in my computer now EMC 6 and 7 which I have not used in a while.

I have now WXP home but I will eventually buy Vista. My computer is 5 years old, running excellent. I just do not want to create problems that I do not have yet.

I just read that discs burned with Drag to Disc ( part of EMC7) will no longer be readable in EMC10 unless I retain Drag to disc

! - I have no idea which ones are the files needed to run Drag to disc.

2 - I do not know which ones of my CD were burned by using Drag to Disc (quite a few of them). What can I do now before I install EMC 10 so that my discs will be readable eventually?

Does anyone have any idea or how did anyone work around this problem?

Thanks for any help

Tina

You are correct. EMC 10 no longer has Drag to Disk.

The easiest way would be to copy those files on your disks back to your hard drive and then use Creator Classic to burn them to Data Disks.

A number of people have no problems with both EMC 7 and EMC 10 on their computer at the same time, so you could leave EMC 7 as is.

That said, if the data you have on your Packet-Written discs (Roxio's Drag2Disc, Sonic's DLA, Nero's InCD, etc) is something you are expecting to keep for a long time - that is, archived - I'd suggest you follow ml's suggestion. Packet-Written discs are acceptable for things like moving files from one computer to another when there are no other alternatives, but they are NOT a long-term storage method.

Lynn

Archived