• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 10 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Cannot Add Tivo Files To A Project - I Do Not Believe It's A Drm Issue

andrews144

Question

Sorry folks, but the last thread I was able to find on this all revolved around supposed DRM issues and ended with John from Roxio saysing that the problem is on Tivo's end, not Roxio's. But I have some more data.

Symptom:

I just installed a new PC (replacing a 5 yr. old box), running Vista Home Premium, Tivo to Go 2.5.2

I purchased Easy Media Creator 9 by following links from the Tivo to Go site

I transferred a 30 min. show from my Series 3 to my new PC

The show is from a 100% analog channel, recorded at High quality

When I try to add it to a project in EMC9, I get the following error:

"The file you are trying to use cannot be edited, and has not been added"

So being that I still had my old PC, running all my old software (albeit slowly), I thought I'd do some experimenting.

Here are the results:

I will call my PCs A2 and A3

Configuration of A2:

Windows XP Home

Running on a 5 yr. old HP Pavilion with a 1.2 GHz AMD Athlon processor and 640MB of RAM

Tivo Desktop 2.5.1 (recently upgraded from an older version)

Sonic MyDVD 6.1.0 (indstalled several years ago)

Configuration of A3 (purchased on 2/7/08)

Windows Vista Home Premium

Running on a brand new HP Pavilion m9177c with a Core 2 Quad 2.66 GHz processor and 3 GB of RAM

Tivo Desktop 2.5.1 (TD)

Easy Media Creator 9 (EMC9)

Along with my Tivo Series 3 (S3)

1 - I transferred an analog show (from an analog-only chanel) from my S3 to A3

2 - Tried to add it to a DVD project in EMC9

3 - Immediately received error "the file you are trying to use cannot be edited, and has not been added"

4 - Tried to add a short MPEG-4 file from another non-Tivo source to a project on EMC9

No error messages received, and was successfully able to burn it

5 - Copied the same .tivo file used in steps 1 - 3 above from A3 to A2 across my network using standard Windows tools

6 - opened MyDVD and added it to a project

NO ERROR Received and could successfully burn a project

7 - Still on my A2 machine, added a file to a MyDVD project that I had transferred from my S3 to my A2 machine using TD

NO ERROR Received and could successfully burn a project (taking over 4 hr. to burn a 30 min. show - anyone wonder why I stopped trying to burn projects on this PC?)

8 - copied that same file from step 7 back over to A3

9 - tried to add it to a project using EMC9 on A3

Same error received as in step 3 above

10 - just for grins, I tried copying the file I used in steps 5 - 7 back over from A2 back to A3

11 - Tried again to add it to a project on A3 using EMC9.

Same old error received

A couple of other things I did along the way:

- Earlier in my testing I removed, rebooted and reinstalled TD on A3

- Re-entered my Media Access Key on A3 just be be sure I had not entered it incorrectly during initial installation

In summary:

• no problems .tivo files using XP/MyDVD, even when I copied them from my Vista/EMC9 PC
  • consistent problems with .tivo files using my Vista/EMC9 PC - this is true with files that I was able to burn successfully on my old XP/MyDVD machine

Given the above data, can anyone come up with a theory other than that this is a problem with EMC9?

I suppose that Vista could be adding DRM mangement issues into the mix that XP did not, but how would this be the case when working with analog content?

Oh, and one other note: I can WATCH my Tivo recordings just fine with WMP or with Roxio CinePlayer

11 answers to this question

andrews144,

question, where did you just buy a software that is six months old, out of production?

cd

Annoyingly, that's what Roxio is selling if you follow the links from the Tivo to Go site.

If you start out here: http://www.tivo.com/mytivo/domore/tivotogo/index.html

And follow the link titled Windows® users start here.

Then, on the next page you click on one of the links in the "Easy Media Creator" section of the page,

you end up at the following page, which is still selling EMC9

http://roxiocentral.roxio.com/enu/offers/e...?tla=sonic_tivo

Certainly sounds like DRM to me which is why I'll always have XP by Vista's side in dual boot. I'm not sure what to suggest but I believe the same error message is given when you are missing the proper codecs. For now, all I can suggest is that you visit the Tivo forum and see if anyone there has a suggestion. And, maybe try something like VideoReDo to convert the files to mpeg. If it is a DRM problem, I'm doubtful that will work.

Certainly sounds like DRM to me which is why I'll always have XP by Vista's side in dual boot. I'm not sure what to suggest but I believe the same error message is given when you are missing the proper codecs. For now, all I can suggest is that you visit the Tivo forum and see if anyone there has a suggestion. And, maybe try something like VideoReDo to convert the files to mpeg. If it is a DRM problem, I'm doubtful that will work.

Yeah, but what's dissapointing and frustrating is that:

• If Tivo Desktop allows you to transfer it, then you're supposed to be able to burn it
  • I'm not willing to buy more software when both Roxio and Tivo advertise EMC9 as a solution that's supposed to work

Plus, if I didn't have the proper codecs, wouldn't I also have trouble playing the items as well as burning them?

I've already posted all of this information on the Tivo Help Forum site as well. We'll see which one (if either) gets any results.

Yeah, but what's dissapointing and frustrating is that:
  • If Tivo Desktop allows you to transfer it, then you're supposed to be able to burn it
  • I'm not willing to buy more software when both Roxio and Tivo advertise EMC9 as a solution that's supposed to work

Plus, if I didn't have the proper codecs, wouldn't I also have trouble playing the items as well as burning them?

I've already posted all of this information on the Tivo Help Forum site as well. We'll see which one (if either) gets any results.

I agree with everything you say. and yes, you should be able to work with files in Roxio that you can play and that you have codecs for. However, there are times when some have the correct codecs but Roxio did not work with them. This is usually an easy correction. In your case, I don't have a clue.

Well I just entered a ticket with Roxio support with the above information. I'll let you all know what I get back from them.

After some useless back and forth with Roxio support I finally got a tech who reported that EMC9 "often has problems with .tivo content" and gave me a free upgrade to EMC10. That resolved the issues that I was having. I've been able to burn all the content that was giving me trouble before.

After some useless back and forth with Roxio support I finally got a tech who reported that EMC9 "often has problems with .tivo content" and gave me a free upgrade to EMC10. That resolved the issues that I was having. I've been able to burn all the content that was giving me trouble before.

Your the first one I've heard report a free upgrade! :)

cd

Archived