• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 14 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

80040207 Error With "plug & Burn"

techres

Question

I upgraded from EMC8 to EMC10 hoping this problem was solved - so far, looks like I wasted my money.

When I try to "Plug & Burn" from my Sony DV camcorder:

* Tape starts playing when you click <next>

* Preview screen stays blank

* DVD and hard disk are getting hammered

* When tape is finished, "Finish" button is displayed

* Shortly after pressing "Finish", I get an 80040207 error, and the DVD disk is garbage.

I have tried both hardware and software rendering, chapters and no chapters. Adobe CS3 Premiere Pro + Adobe Encore had no trouble reading or rendering using the same hardware on the same machine.

Anybody got any ideas? I'm about out of patience (and blank DVDs). I'm in the process now of totally removing everything Roxio (I installed 10 over top of 8) from my machine and reinstalling EMC10 from the edge - that's pretty much the last idea I have.....

Machine:

Dell 1705 Inspiron Laptop

Centrino Duo @ 1.83Ghz

2.0 Gb of 988Mhz RAM

TSSTCorp DVD+-RW TS-L532B

Latest video and DVD drivers loaded from Dell

9 answers to this question

You seem to want to blame everything on the software… If you are just looking for an excuse to dump it, just go ahead and do it. Since you have Adobe and it works perfect, use that instead…

A 1.6ghz is listed as minimum for P&B. You have a 1.8 so you are barely over the bar. (My desktop is 3.0ghz with a 300gb HD currently 50% free)

You have not mentioned how much free space you have on your HD.

Actually there shouldn't be too large a crunch on the HD, but the Throughput is a killer!

You are getting data at 400kbps from your Firewire. Your CPU must do a little processing then push that to the burner buffer.

NOTHING stops a Firewire transfer once it starts! One little break and poof, there goes your burn.

You might want to shut down all startup services and especially any AV software and screensaver.

Tried again tonight:

-- EMC 10 started

-- "Plug&Burn" selected

-- Menu name entered

-- No chapters

-- Choose Capture Entire Tape

-- Tape is rewound, starts playing

-- Preview Screen stays blank, but counters increment

-- Tape finishes playing

-- Click Finish

-- DVD Dialog box comes up, DVD is accessed

-- 80040207 is displayed after a couple of minutes

Dumped the DirectX diagnostic data to Tech Support. Thanks for the attempts to help guys. If anyone has a light bulb moment, I'd really appreciate it. However it turns out with Tech Support, I'll update the thread - maybe it can save someone the same trip I'm on.

Also, my troubling issue with the dialog boxes is back after the failure. I opened MYDVD and clicked options to confirm that Rendering was software. When I closed he options window, this is what I got:

screen.jpg

Tried again tonight:

-- EMC 10 started

-- "Plug&Burn" selected

-- Menu name entered

-- No chapters

-- Choose Capture Entire Tape

-- Tape is rewound, starts playing

-- Preview Screen stays blank, but counters increment

-- Tape finishes playing

-- Click Finish

-- DVD Dialog box comes up, DVD is accessed

-- 80040207 is displayed after a couple of minutes

Dumped the DirectX diagnostic data to Tech Support. Thanks for the attempts to help guys. If anyone has a light bulb moment, I'd really appreciate it. However it turns out with Tech Support, I'll update the thread - maybe it can save someone the same trip I'm on.

Also, my troubling issue with the dialog boxes is back after the failure. I opened MYDVD and clicked options to confirm that Rendering was software. When I closed he options window, this is what I got:

Did you ever try to simply capture the video without worrying about Plug&Burn (which is useless in my opinion)? Even with Plug&Burn you should be getting a preview i,age and not a blank window.

I could not find anything in your posts about this but are you connected via Firewire? What make/model of camcorder are you using?

You also mentioned some other cosmetic problems you are having. They seem to indicate that you may have some problems with you graphics system. I have never seen anything like you describe nor have I seen any posts on it.

Did you ever try to simply capture the video without worrying about Plug&Burn (which is useless in my opinion)? Even with Plug&Burn you should be getting a preview i,age and not a blank window.

I could not find anything in your posts about this but are you connected via Firewire? What make/model of camcorder are you using?

You also mentioned some other cosmetic problems you are having. They seem to indicate that you may have some problems with you graphics system. I have never seen anything like you describe nor have I seen any posts on it.

As noted above, "Plug & Burn" (at least the concept) is appealing to me. I shoot sporting events and desire to dash off a quick DVD so that coaches can have it immediately. I could start such a process and not have to separate the avi files, sequence them, burn them.

I am connected with Firewire, as I believe most HD camcorders are.

The cosmetic problems may indeed be a graphics problem, but they're not in evidence on the Adobe product or on CinePlayer or any other software on my system.

If I can't use Plug & Burn I will use the capture & burn procedure as I have in the past. However, the main impetus for my purchase of EMC10 was to use this feature. I use Cineplayer extensively, as well as EMC for creating Data disks, but those features had no issues with the previously installed EMC8. The end result would then be a waste of money to purchase EMC10.

It is obvious that Roxio Tech Support is interested in solving the problem. I just received some more advice for things to try over the weekend.

I guess the whole "Plug & Burn is useless" argument just doesn't work for me. If it is truly useless, or unreliable, or counter-productive, then why is it included in the package? The flip side is that if you include it, then you have to support it - and I have zero issues with Roxio on that point (except they're not available at night, which is the only time I get to work on this). The end result may be that it just doesn't work on my machine / CPU / Graphics card combination, but other Graphics and/or CPU-intensive applications do not have any issues.

In reality, it's no big deal - I've p*ssed away more money than what EMC10 cost on software that did not perform as advertised. I will continue to follow up with Tech Support, and if a solution is found, post it here in the hopes that it will help someone else. I do appreciate everyone's advice and tips - it triggered a total review of drivers, hardware, and disk usage, which is never a bad thing.

Luke

Adobe works fine to capture and then output. The goal of the "plug & burn" path was to produce a quick & dirty DVD that could be used by coaches to review a sporting event, and then go through the capture process later.

I think you'll find that EMC 10 will work fine to capture and then output also.

As Jim says, throughput is the killer ( plug and burn) because anything that interrupts the process will result in a trashed DVD. You have to understand that not only does your computer have to capture the video from your camcorder, it also has to encode it to mpeg2 and burn it all at the same time. That's a lot to ask of any home computer, desktop or laptop.

Try capturing with EMC10 or Adobe, put the captured video on a DVD menu, then burn it. It's only going to take you a couple of minutes more. You'll be saving time in the long run because the video will already be on your hard drive and you won't be creating 'coasters.'

True, you'll have to remember to go back to the computer after the capture process and put the captured video onto a DVD menu, but if you've captured the video as mpeg2, the burn process will be fast because the program won't have to reencode all the video. Of course, I'm not sure if Adobe will capture in mpeg2, but EMC 10 will capture in mpeg2.

It worked fine on my desktop the last time I tried it… Your laptop is not that impressive as far as speed but I think it should be able to keep up.

Keep in mind that Plug & Burn is a relentless flow and a single interruption will break it! Might be why so very, very few people ever use it…

The error code indicates a problem reading/writing to your HD! Here

As I said the data flow is relentless and it is looking like the problem is the PC.

Question is, does it otherwise burn OK if you capture then burn?

If you are having burn trouble, why on earth are you not using RW media???

Sorry if you took it that way, Jim....

I thought that my initial post indicated how much time I had spent looking for solutions and trying everything I knew of to get it to work, but apparently not.

"Plug & Burn" can be very useful to me if it works - much faster than using either Adobe or Roxio to load the tapes and then burn a disc. I shoot a lot of vid, and this would give me the ability to (or easily get someone else to) dump a tape to DVD so I can get it to a coach for review quickly. It was the main reason I bought EMC.

The following Instructions came from Tech Support. I have done them all and will re-attempt the "Plug & Burn" process in the next day or so (Adobe to the rescue for the emergency).

To the below instructions I would add:

• Defragment the hard file: this was mentioned in other threads documenting this error, and in any event it's a good idea
  • Uninstall any previous versions of EMC: Perhaps a coincidence, but I was seeing a lot of clunky cosmetic issues that indicated a lack of attention to detail. Things like if you opened MYDVD, then changed focus to a background application and then back to MYDVD, the MYDVD "screen" still contained whatever part of the other program's dialog box that had overlaid it. These issues went away after removing everything Roxio and re-installing EMC10
  • Obviously, make sure you have enough free speace to hold disc image and output.

Here's what Tech Support Said:

--> In MyDVD or Videowave, click on tools, options and ensure that Software rendering mode is selected. Then, press the Clear button under Proxy Files.

--> Update to the latest version of Direct X as described in the Microsoft website below.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/179113

--> Update your video drivers.

To find out what video device you need to update you can click on start, run, and type 'dxdiag' and press enter.

Click the display tab at the top of that window and that will tell you the manufacturer of you video device.

--> Update your audio drivers.

To find out what sound device you need to update you can click on start, run, and type 'dxdiag' and press enter.

Click the sound tab at the top of that window and that will tell you the manufacturer of your sound device.

--> Try raising hardware acceleration.

Close any open programs and return to the Windows desktop.

Right mouse click on an empty area of the desktop, and select Properties from the menu.

This opens the Display Properties.

Select the Settings tab.

Click the Advanced button to open the Advanced Display Properties.

Click the Troubleshoot tab.

Move the setting to Full, click OK and close all windows, and restart your computer.

The following knowlegebase article may also help:

http://kb.roxio.com/content/kb/MyDVD/000016CR

"If you are having burn trouble, why on earth are you not using RW media"

No stores open at 1:00am to go out and buy any. Besides, I kept hoping that I could find some combination of parms to make it work. Does that make me stupid, or just desperate?

I defragged the disk this morning, although whether or not it needs it is iffy. I'll try it again, but when I lump this problem with the cosmetic ones (like EMC not clearing overlaid dialog boxes), it just does not appear to be that robust of a product.

Adobe works fine to capture and then output. The goal of the "plug & burn" path was to produce a quick & dirty DVD that could be used by coaches to review a sporting event, and then go through the capture process later.

Archived