• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 3 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Maximum 106 Characters

Kenny

Question

I apologize in advance of this has been previously discussed, I searched and could not find it.

When attempting to burn a DVD data disk, the program pauses to inform me that most of my file names are larger than the 106-character limit, and WILL NOT be burned to the disk!! :o

Is there a way to disable this 106 limit??

Is there a quick/easy way to shorten my file names??

PLEASE HELP!!

Thank You,

Kenny - Kandyman1028@aol.com

9 answers to this question

What you are saying simply cannot happen. If you choose Level 2 you get Level 2.

However it is not as simple as you think! Filenames are only a small part of it!

If you really want to avoid it, then you do want to use Creator Classic. Select File – Project Properties and set your File System to UDF – NO Bridge! Also clear the checkmark by "Validate source files…"

The UDF file system is much more compatible with what you can do on magnetic media using FAT32 or NTFS.

What you are saying simply cannot happen. If you choose Level 2 you get Level 2.

However it is not as simple as you think! Filenames are only a small part of it!

If you really want to avoid it, then you do want to use Creator Classic. Select File – Project Properties and set your File System to UDF – NO Bridge! Also clear the checkmark by "Validate source files…"

The UDF file system is much more compatible with what you can do on magnetic media using FAT32 or NTFS.

OMG!! It works!

Jim, you're the GREATEST, thank you!

Kenny

Kenny: Glad it worked out for you!

It should not be this difficult but it is due to the substantial differences between magnetic media and optical media!

I have been an advocate of the Data Disc program, but now you have sent me back to the drawing board! I will have to do some more experiments with it.

Kenny: Glad it worked out for you!

It should not be this difficult but it is due to the substantial differences between magnetic media and optical media!

I have been an advocate of the Data Disc program, but now you have sent me back to the drawing board! I will have to do some more experiments with it.

Does that mean I won't hear you bad mouth the 'DATED' Creator Classic anymore? :lol:

Good post...

cd :)

Does that mean I won't hear you bad mouth the 'DATED' Creator Classic anymore? :lol:

Good post...

cd :)

No it does not!

CC is limited to the first version of Joliet:

Filename – 64 characters max

Pathname – 128 characters (full path + filename)

8 subdirectories max

4gb file length limit

Data Disc includes the updated version which allows longer filenames – but no info available on the other critical items.

The ONLY thing CC has going for it is UDF without the Joliet Bridge (Anchor?), which allows.

UDF Directory Limits

Directory Size - 263

Sub-directories per Directory - 215 sub-directories

Directory Name - 256 bytes

UDF File Limits

File Extent Size - 229

File Size - 263 bytes

File Name - 256 bytes

Don't use Creator Classic, it is an old program and showing its' age…

From the Home program, choose Data, then Data Disc. No more problems…

But understand that all File Systems have limitations! If you become verbose enough, even NTFS will balk!

Thank you for your reply!

I am using Data Disc, not Creator Classic, in EMC9. I'm fairly certain that an earlier version of EMC shortened the file names by default, because I've burned data discs, but never encountered this problem before, and I remember the shortened file names ending with a ~.

Any suggestions for a quick filename shortener??

Thanks again.

From the Home program, choose Data, then Data Disc, Optons, ISO Level 2. No more problems…

But understand that all File Systems have limitations! If you become verbose enough, even NTFS will balk!

BTW, when I chose ISO Level 2, it still imposed the limit of 106. Any idea why??

Archived