Easy Dvd 2 Burning Incomplete Discs

king_e_dawg

Question

OK, so I'm using Easy DVD Copy 2 (EMC 8) on an XP SP2 system. I can start by eliminating all the usual culprits; drive firmware, blank media, etc. are all up to snuff. A couple of weeks ago, I could burn everything just fine and I'm not aware of any changes to my system since, nor do I have any viruses or spyware. Here's what's happening now:

1) First, I saw that neither of my drives, DVD-ROM or DVD-RW were being recognized in Disc Copier. They were fine everywhere else. After some digging, I applied the PX Engine update/patch and everything went back to normal (or so I thought).

2) I then started to burn a disc from a saved DVD folder on my C drive, as I usually do, compressing from a dual-layer size to a single-layer disc, as I usually do.

3) When the burn process starts ("Compressing: Step 1 of 1"), it jumps to 5% pretty quickly, which I found odd, but the drive was making noise and the preview window shows everything playing normally, so I didn't think anything of it. When it hit 100% though, it ejected the disc right away, which I also found odd. There was no error message.

4) It comes up in Explorer as a blank disc, and it won't even start in any of the other players in my house. When I check it in the Disc Copier Device Utility, it comes up as being a full data disc, but it says "Mode 1 - Incomplete." If I try to finalize the disc, it gets a "Session Fixation Error - Empty or partially written reserved track in session - Illegal request [05/72/04]"

I went through about six of these trying to fix this; did the uninstall, reinstall, messed with registry settings, did Windows Installer Clean Up to try to totally eliminate all Roxio programs, all that stuff. I tried the LowerFilters and UpperFilters fix, but I don't have an UpperFilters value in the registry, and when I delete LowerFilters, my drives disappear from Disc Copier again. I read that part of this might be the Drag to Disc feature that's on some Roxio/Sonic software, but I couldn't find any traces of that anywhere on my system. The only thing that tipped me off was that my fiancee seemed to have used some sort of internal Windows drag to disc feature (the one where it says "these files are ready to be burned" or something like that) when I wasn't around.

This is the gazillionth problem I've had with this, lord knows why I stick with Roxio. Their support page is pretty much abandoned. Hopefully someone can help me out.

4 answers to this question

If you suspect some problem with the physical burning process, try outputting your result to a disc image instead of sending it straight to the burner. This will eliminate the burning hardware from the process, and just build and save the disc image.

If that fails, you'll get a better indication of where the problem lies. If it works okay, you could then try burning the image to a disc.

If you suspect some problem with the physical burning process, try outputting your result to a disc image instead of sending it straight to the burner. This will eliminate the burning hardware from the process, and just build and save the disc image.

If that fails, you'll get a better indication of where the problem lies. If it works okay, you could then try burning the image to a disc.

Good point. What I found was rather odd. The ISO I was getting was too big (only by a little) to be burned by any program onto a standard 4.7 GB disc. I tried a few other DVDs, though, and they all worked fine. For some reason, the particular folder I was trying to burn ends up, even after compression (I think) being too big for the disc, but Easy DVD Copy doesn't know it, thus the error. Well, that's a new one. I'll test a few more just to be sure, but for now, it seems like it was just this movie in particular.

That's strange.

Your ISO should have been compressed to the right size if you had the right box ticked. Easy DVD Copy 2 uses Roxio Disc Copier rather than the dumbed-down Sonic equivalent, and that usually performs well.

Still, this is DVD burning and who [apart from Sales dept] ever said DVDs were 'Easy' ?? :lol:

Thanks for the feedback.

Brendon

I forgot, the error log came up with this at 99% of encoding progress:

1:53:18 AM : *** ---------->> Error 0x15210201 information starts here

1:53:18 AM : ***

1:53:18 AM : *** ---------->> Error Attributes start here

1:53:18 AM : ULONG: Error Number = 354484737 (0x15210201)

1:53:18 AM : STRING: Error String = Logical block address out of range - Illegal request.

And another one later on, I'm not sure if it has to do with the burning process:

1:53:20 AM : *** ---------->> Error 0x00000007 information starts here

1:53:20 AM : ***

1:53:20 AM : *** ---------->> Error Attributes start here

1:53:20 AM : ULONG: Error Number = 7 (0x00000007)

1:53:20 AM : STRING: Error String = Operation Cancelled

Archived