Analog Video Capture Freezes On Some Tapes

timw

Question

I have Creator Basic v.9 which came installed on my HP Media Center computer along with a WinTV HVR-1600 tuner/video input card. My purpose is to transfer analog videotapes to DVD. I have been doing this successfully, but a number of tapes cannot be transferred because of the 'Capture Video' function freezes up anywhere from a few seconds in to 30 minutes.

I have typically made Mpeg2, 8 Mbs output files, but it doesn't seem to matter. While capturing, the video display freezes at the last scene and the sound stops. I have to close the Media Import window to clear after saying 'yes' to saving the file recorded so far. When returning to the standby mode where the video is displayed, the Roxio preview window will have colors swirling across it alternating with a clear picture. I also have an analog monitor hooked in parallel and it shows a clear picture all the time.

Note this does not occur with all my tapes. In fact, I have observed bad sequences on part of the same video cassette, all sequences made on the same VCR originally! None of the original material is Macrovision encoded.

System details:

HP m8020n Media Center, Intel Dual Core 6420, 2.13 GHz, 3 GB memory, 640 GB. Windows Vista Home Premium.

Roxio 9.0.095 Basic. Buffer setting from default up to 75 Mb. (No change).

WinTV HVR-1600 (74551LF) tuner/video card. Video input via S-video or composite (doesn't matter) Driver 'up to date'.

3 answers to this question

I have Creator Basic v.9 which came installed on my HP Media Center computer along with a WinTV HVR-1600 tuner/video input card. My purpose is to transfer analog videotapes to DVD. I have been doing this successfully, but a number of tapes cannot be transferred because of the 'Capture Video' function freezes up anywhere from a few seconds in to 30 minutes.

I have typically made Mpeg2, 8 Mbs output files, but it doesn't seem to matter. While capturing, the video display freezes at the last scene and the sound stops. I have to close the Media Import window to clear after saying 'yes' to saving the file recorded so far. When returning to the standby mode where the video is displayed, the Roxio preview window will have colors swirling across it alternating with a clear picture. I also have an analog monitor hooked in parallel and it shows a clear picture all the time.

Note this does not occur with all my tapes. In fact, I have observed bad sequences on part of the same video cassette, all sequences made on the same VCR originally! None of the original material is Macrovision encoded.

System details:

HP m8020n Media Center, Intel Dual Core 6420, 2.13 GHz, 3 GB memory, 640 GB. Windows Vista Home Premium.

Roxio 9.0.095 Basic. Buffer setting from default up to 75 Mb. (No change).

WinTV HVR-1600 (74551LF) tuner/video card. Video input via S-video or composite (doesn't matter) Driver 'up to date'.

Can you tell if the places where it freezes are the same places where you turned off the video camera?

Hi sknis, I'm not having timw's problem, but I am experiencing what you mention. In my 8mm tape, the spot at which I've turned off the camcorder then back on results in a "No signal" message, then recording stops. Any way I can "fool" Easy Media Creator into ignoring this and capturing the entire 8mm tape??

Not that I know of and since no one else has chimed in, probably not one knows of a way to use this software to do that. There are some other capture software that will. Google for it.

Can you tell if the places where it freezes are the same places where you turned off the video camera?

Hi sknis, I'm not having timw's problem, but I am experiencing what you mention. In my 8mm tape, the spot at which I've turned off the camcorder then back on results in a "No signal" message, then recording stops. Any way I can "fool" Easy Media Creator into ignoring this and capturing the entire 8mm tape??

Archived