cdanteek

Vista May Not Support Hd Dvd At Launch

by Julie Jacobson, Mar 13 2006 http://blog.ce-pro.com/news/6966.html

Even though Microsoft officially supports HD DVD (see related blog, the company isn't sure that Vista will include native support for the next-gen DVD format.

Vista, coming in the second half of this year, is the successor of Windows XP, and includes basic and premium versions. In particular, Windows Vista Home Premium will replace Media Center Edition, and of course everyone is excited about using high-definition DVD players with MCE.

But they might have to wait. It's possible that Microsoft will rely on third parties to write the appropriate applications for high-def DVDs after Vista is launched. Or Microsoft might do it themselves, before or after the Vista launch.

A Microsoft spokesperson says, "Vista's architecture will recognize both HD DVD and Blu-ray DVD; however, current plans for Media Center support of either of these formats is unknown at this time. We do know that there will be a great HD DVD and Blu-ray DVD experience for Media Center either at Vista launch or soon after as either an extensible application or natively in MCE."

Microsoft Clarifies Stance on Vista's Support of HD DVD and Blu-Ray

by Julie Jacobson, Mar 19 2006 http://blog.ce-pro.com/news/7089.html

I wrote earlier that Vista might not have native support for HD DVD when the new operating system is released in the second half of the year.

For starters, I should say that I never suggested Microsoft was withdrawing its support for HD DVD. I just implied that they might not get around to native support of the next-gen optical disc format in the first rollout of Vista.

In any case, Media Center blogger Chris Lanier did some digging of his own, and found this out from Amir Majidimehr, Corporate VP of the Windows Digital Media Division:

Majidimehr said, "Microsoft is hard at work in developing native HD DVD playback in Windows Vista. We have a large, dedicated team working with our hardware partners, optimizing our software infrastructure, and ensuring compliance with copy protection measures so we can stay on target for providing HD DVD playback on Windows Vista this year. Finally, as we have mentioned time and time again, Microsoft has no plans to provide native Blu-ray playback functionality in Windows Vista. Such functionality will be provided by third parties, similar to the way DVD playback is offered today."

Microsoft Clarifies Stance on Vista's Support of HD DVD and Blu-Ray

by Julie Jacobson, Mar 19 2006 http://blog.ce-pro.com/news/7089.html

I wrote earlier that Vista might not have native support for HD DVD when the new operating system is released in the second half of the year.

For starters, I should say that I never suggested Microsoft was withdrawing its support for HD DVD. I just implied that they might not get around to native support of the next-gen optical disc format in the first rollout of Vista.

In any case, Media Center blogger Chris Lanier did some digging of his own, and found this out from Amir Majidimehr, Corporate VP of the Windows Digital Media Division:

Majidimehr said, "Microsoft is hard at work in developing native HD DVD playback in Windows Vista. We have a large, dedicated team working with our hardware partners, optimizing our software infrastructure, and ensuring compliance with copy protection measures so we can stay on target for providing HD DVD playback on Windows Vista this year. Finally, as we have mentioned time and time again, Microsoft has no plans to provide native Blu-ray playback functionality in Windows Vista. Such functionality will be provided by third parties, similar to the way DVD playback is offered today."

So it only plays on the WinPlayer, and after that you can't play it on anything else, and can't record ANYTHING ...? :)

Lynn

So it only plays on the WinPlayer, and after that you can't play it on anything else, and can't record ANYTHING ...? :)

Lynn

LOL, Lynn. Vista could be the ultimate DRM vehicle, but I won't make any assessments, until I actually get the final product. That should probably be around the time that I am 85 or 86. :huh: