• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 7 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

martin.j.barber

Unhappy Spindoctor

I use Spindoctor in Roxio ECDC5 to transfer some of my treasured vinyls to CD. I use the AUX OUT port on my old hi-fi amplifier as the pre-amp stage between the deck and the Line In port on my computer. On my old Compaq computer, Spindoctor was happy with a big fat input signal. Using the same setup on my new Fujistu Siemens Scaleo P with all of the volume controls that I can find on the computer turned up full, Spindoctor receives a very inadequate signal and is decidedly unhappy. The AUX OUT port on the amp is not subject to the volume control so I can't wind the Line In input signal up. Any ideas?

I use Spindoctor in Roxio ECDC5 to transfer some of my treasured vinyls to CD. I use the AUX OUT port on my old hi-fi amplifier as the pre-amp stage between the deck and the Line In port on my computer. On my old Compaq computer, Spindoctor was happy with a big fat input signal. Using the same setup on my new Fujistu Siemens Scaleo P with all of the volume controls that I can find on the computer turned up full, Spindoctor receives a very inadequate signal and is decidedly unhappy. The AUX OUT port on the amp is not subject to the volume control so I can't wind the Line In input signal up. Any ideas?

Are you getting any sound at all?

Double check the following:

Open Volume Control, ensure Line-In is not muted (unchecked), then under "Options" select "Properties", click "Recording" and insure that Line-In is checked. Click "OK" and you will see the volume controls for recording. Insure Line-In is selected (checked) as your recording device and set to a proper level.

If that does not help, get back on here.

Yes I am getting some sound. The Line In channel is active, and the Line In volume control is wound up full, but the signal level indicator in Spindoctor never reaches above about mid-range in the green zone with the record level control up full. Spindoctor keeps interpreting quiet passages as silences and introducing splits.

Yes I am getting some sound. The Line In channel is active, and the Line In volume control is wound up full, but the signal level indicator in Spindoctor never reaches above about mid-range in the green zone with the record level control up full. Spindoctor keeps interpreting quiet passages as silences and introducing splits.

It appears you have your Volume controls set ok.

It could be that the cord you were using on your old set up into your Line in on your sound card is not compatible withe your new sound card . The old set up could be a Mono cord and the new requires a Stereo cord. Have a look at this site ( http://www.the-predator.com/dell/sec7-9.html ) for the cord that I mean This is a long shot.

Hello Martin,

If this setup worked well on your old Compaq, then it is unlikely that you're using the wrong type of cord.

It seems more likely that your new Fujitsu's line-in is either not as sensitive as the Compaq or else does not match the impedance of your old Hi-Fi amp sufficiently.

If none of the volume controls you can find on the computer will improve the amount of drive the computer's sound card is getting, then you might need to look at an additional amplifier stage or an impedance matching device between the hi-fi and the computer. You can't get a decent power transfer across the link if you have a severe impedance mismatch.