mac_fanatic

Retain Original Dvd Menus

Question

I have not purchased Crunch for mac yet.

My goal is to have my collection of DVDs viewable from the Apple TV.

I am proficient in compressing DVDs to a single movie file.

However,

1. I want to know if Crunch can retain original DVD menu with all the extras.

2. Will the Apple TV be able to view and navigate the DVD menus via the supplied remote.

3 answers to this question

AppleTV does not play video DVDs or the MPEG 2 format that is contained within those DVDs. So the video would need to be converted to H.264. There is no way to keep the DVDs menu system when the videos are in some other format.

You might consider LaCie's LaCinema Premiere for what you want to do. If you use Toast or Popcorn to create disc images from the ripped VIDEO_TS folders you can play those with the LaCie Premiere just as if a video DVD was loaded into a DVD player. The process involves choosing Save as Disc Image in Toast or Popcorn and changing the resulting .toast extension to .iso.

I don't recommend buying Crunch for Mac in any case because Popcorn 3 is a far greater value and is updated to work with all Macs and the latest OS.

Sounds like I'll just use another Mac, maybe a new Mac Mini, to be the entertainment hub. Then I can just use Front Row to play my ripped DVD with menus and extras.

Thanks for you help.

Sounds like I'll just use another Mac, maybe a new Mac Mini, to be the entertainment hub. Then I can just use Front Row to play my ripped DVD with menus and extras.

Thanks for you help.

You're welcom. Check out This Forum.