Files/folders Not Showing In Roxio Retrieve

tmgeorge

Question

Hi all.

I burnt 90 gig to 23 DVD+R's yesterday using Creator Classic (excluded no files & turned off "Validate source files before recording"). Using Roxio Retrieve today to see if the disks are readable but the files/folders are not showing up. Properties of the DVD show 4.7 gig used and I can see the files using Explorer.

What did I do wrong?? Tried the same process with V 7.0 however it seemed unable to handle the large amount of data. A test with 7.0 and 2 DVDs worked as expected (copied no prob & files show in Roxio Retrieve).

Did I only accomplish ruining 23 DVDs? Any advice GREATLY appreciated!!!

7 answers to this question

You might try going to search and putting in 'retrieve' and seeing what you get.

I know in Version 6 the reading was rather sickening, and I doubt it got better. There is the additional factor most people don't see if the copy is readable until they NEED it :(

As Jim says, needing to use Retrieve often results in being unable to get the files back (i.e., when you realize there might be a problem, there is - I suppose it works fine when it works but nobody posts about it). Disc Spanning sounds like a good idea, but the basic put-files-on-discs in Sessions, as Terry has suggested, works a lot better.

(For good luck, make two sets, or one set and and an External Drive and maybe also an on-line backup.)

Lynn

It does autostart Retrieve, however, no files/folders are listed.

Then you have a corrupt disc set!

The Retrieve.exe as well as the LAYOUT.rcl (contains the entire list of every file in the project) is found on every disk in the set!!! – look in the $ROXIO$ folder.

If None of them work, then you never had a backup set to begin with, but rather a 23 coaster set…

If you used Creator Classic then all you should need to use is Windows Explorer to view them.

You only need Retrieve is you split files across discs.

Take a look in the help files for an explanation.

Ok - thanks for the info but why does it tell me that my files spanned discs & that I have to use Roxio Retrieve to safely retrieve them? And why does Roxio Retrieve show up under the Data menu as opposed to the Backup option? Sorry - I'm a new to Roxio...

I haven't played with it since I decided it was too risky of a way to "backup" my data…

It should work using Retrieve.exe. Trying to use Explorer with that many discs will prove to be a challenge!

Actually you should be able to use Auto Start and simply put in Disc1. Retrieve.exe is on that disc and will automatically start and read the list…

I haven't played with it since I decided it was too risky of a way to "backup" my data…

It should work using Retrieve.exe. Trying to use Explorer with that many discs will prove to be a challenge!

Actually you should be able to use Auto Start and simply put in Disc1. Retrieve.exe is on that disc and will automatically start and read the list…

It does autostart Retrieve, however, no files/folders are listed.

Why you're not seeing files,or 0Kb is a question I can't answer.

You should have to use Retrieve if you spanned files across discs,which apparently has happened.

Next time try going to File,Project settings and putting a check in the box that says "Do not split files in multi-disc projects".

This should keep Classic from spanning discs and allow you to not have to use Retrieve.

The reason it tells you that now is when it writes the discs if it comes to the end of a disc and is in the middle of writing a file it will continue writing it on the next disc.That must be what happened.

Why it's under the Data section and not at least under both is a question only Roxio can answer.

Archived