• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 10 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Emc 10 Lives With Norton

Hatter50

Question

I have used these forums to fix my EMC 9 and 10 issues. It took a long time to piece all the information together to finally have an install that works and lives happily with Norton Systemworks and Internet Security. Here is a quick list of the things that i did, with the help from people here and Roxio's "Ask RoxAnn".

Dell XPS Quad Core, 4GB RAM

XP media Center (also used VISTA Ultimate but reverted back to XP)

EMC 9.1 and EMC 10 purchased through Roxio not from Dell.

Norton SystemWorks and Internet Security 2008

I had the same issues as everyone else who uses Symantec products. Install EMC, it works for a while, then nightmares of no workie. I now have EMC 10 working and can do "One Button Cleanup" and Norton WinDoctor and iEMC 10 still "lives". Here is what i did. I hope this helps someone else.

1. You can either "Ask RoxAnn" the question "Clean Installation of Easy Media Creator" or follow this link from the Roxio Knowledgebase:

http://kb.roxio.com/content/kb/Creator/000086CR on how to do a COMPLETE uninstall of Roxio. The machine has to be free of all traces of EMC. You have to reboot after that process. I recieved some errors on startup. I got past those by just agreeing. I did not run Win Doctor here, but if I were doing it again i would. I ran it later.

2. Do an install of EMC 10. EMC should work now. If it does work, now you have to contend with Norton to keep it working.

3. One Button Checkup. What i did was go to settings and deactivate the registry scan portion.

4. Ran a WinDoctor scan. After it completed, very important to NOT repair, but to look at the details. Your searching for any item with

CLSID\{3E867EE6-00C0-40FA-95C0-C9CCB3BA7692} its the number in the parens that is vital. Find those and select Ignore. I found that several times and did so. I let WinDoctor repair everything else. For me that was quite a bit because i didn't run it earlier.

I can now do one button Checkups and WinDoctor without killing my EMC 10.

I'm not a computer genious and venture into the reqistry only with step-by-step instructions. Roxio provided good instructions.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Steve

7 answers to this question

***Quote from Hatter50***

4. Ran a WinDoctor scan. After it completed, very important to NOT repair, but to look at the details. Your searching for any item with

CLSID\{3E867EE6-00C0-40FA-95C0-C9CCB3BA7692} its the number in the parens that is vital. Find those and select Ignore. I found that several times and did so. I let WinDoctor repair everything else. For me that was quite a bit because i didn't run it earlier.

I can now do one button Checkups and WinDoctor without killing my EMC 10.

***End of quote***

Greetings all!

Thanks for the instructions as to how to make systemworks live with EMC10!

These are two programs that I have used faithfully forever, and love them both,

but reinstalling EMC10 5 or 6 times was starting to *^$$ me off just a bit!

I could'nt figure it out. I use Systemworks because (in my opinion) I feel it helps

keep my computer "tuned up", and I have always been a fan of Roxio,...but I was just about to the point of picking what one I needed to get rid of in order to not have to keep on fixing the crashes everytime I used them during the same session.

These insrtuctions were very easy to follow, and luckily I did'nt need to ignore a ton of clsid keys after the registry scan, so that made it nice and fast. after I ignored and clicked on the fix everything else, i crossed my fingers, and it worked like a charm!

So anyway, thanks hatter50 for gathering the information and getting it out there, it helped me a great deal!

Now I can run my maintenance programs and not worry about if I'll be able to burn a cd when I'm done or not!

These groups are a great place to go for answers!!

Thanks again! :)

Hi Steve,

It worked! After looking all over the place for a workaround, even having a short on-line chat with a Roxio tech, you were the (brilliant) one to come up with the complete solution. What great timing. Congratulations and thanks!!! This was my fourth and final re-install of EMC10 IF I continued to have the same problems.

You da man...

Bob

:rolleyes:

Hi Steve,

It worked! After looking all over the place for a workaround, even having a short on-line chat with a Roxio tech, you were the (brilliant) one to come up with the complete solution. What great timing. Congratulations and thanks!!! This was my fourth and final re-install of EMC10 IF I continued to have the same problems.

You da man...

Bob

:rolleyes:

It is a good solution, and that solution has been posted, many times on these forums, since a few months after EMC 9 came out.

As the old saying goes: "You always find it in the last place you look". The first for me was the Symantec site since the problem started happening a few days ago after I installed Norton SystemWorks Premier and Internet Security. By the way, it was with a Symantec analyst that I chatted with and not Roxio. My apologies. It was by pure luck that I ended up in this forum looking for answers while surfing the site for support. I hadn't even though of a place like this. The fact that I found the solution to my exact situation within minutes floored me. Hats off to all those that have contributed to fixing this and any other program obstacles.

Bob

Just a quick *Thanks Guys* for the EMC10 info. I bought the app while back and after re-installing 3 times after it stopped working, I took it out and put it on the shelf went back to RecordNowPremier 8. I didn't have time to check into the glitches or where the conflict was.

Now I think I can reinstall EMC10. I was just browsing around tonight after updating a BOT3 ticket I have working.. / another glitch / LOL..

Kudos Fellas. Reading is FUNdamental.

Stomped. :)

Archived