Burning An Iso File Created From Emc Builder

sheabo35

Question

I had read that disk copier could be used to burn an ISO file. So I burned an ISO file from DVD Builder using the best setting. The file came out to be 6.4GB.

Next I used Disk Copier to burn the ISO file to a 4.7GB disk. It worked.

My question is this. I thought an ISO file couldn't be made to fit media smaller than the ISO file. Does the Disk Copier actually shrink the ISO file to fit?

Thanks

Tim

2 answers to this question

I had read that disk copier could be used to burn an ISO file. So I burned an ISO file from DVD Builder using the best setting. The file came out to be 6.4GB.

Next I used Disk Copier to burn the ISO file to a 4.7GB disk. It worked.

My question is this. I thought an ISO file couldn't be made to fit media smaller than the ISO file. Does the Disk Copier actually shrink the ISO file to fit?

Thanks

Tim

Sure, sort of. Movie DVD capacity is measured in time, not file size. Disk Copier will actually shrink that file to fit a standard DVD, if the length of the movie is over 1 hour (if set to best quality in DVD Builder).

If it isn't much more than an hour long, you will probably not notice any degradation in quality.

"Shrink" isn't really the right word for what is going on.

It is re-render the video at a lower bit rate so the resulting file will fit on one DVD.

You don't get something for nothing, the lower bit rate means video quality is lost.

Depending on your needs and eye, it may be acceptable. Maybe not…

Archived