• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 16 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

chartsmalm

Error While Writing

Question

I use Taiyo Yuden DVD-R 8X Inkjet printable

I get the following error message when using Toast 7.1.3

The drive reported an error

Sense Key = HARDWARE ERROR

Sense Code = 0x03

I can redo the exact same routine as far as source, settings and output instructions and maybe I'll get a DVD - and maybe I'll get the error message. The one time I got a DVD it was playable on the Mac - but hung at menu selection on the JVC DVD player in the home entertainment center

I opted for TY because they are supposed to be the best. If the intermittent nature of the error is "disc" sourced, then what should I select as a replacement? Throwing every other one away gets expensive after a while - enough to justify a new purchase, if necessary.

4 answers to this question

My inclination is to focus on the drive and/or its firmware. Those Matshita slot-loading drives used by Apple aren't very good and Apple rarely updates firmware to support new media. But just because that's my inclination doesn't mean I'm correct.

Have you tried Save as Disc Image from the File menu and then burned the resulting disc image using the Image File setting in the Copy window?

Have you tried reducing the burn speed to, say, 4X instead of using "Best"?

You also might try saving as disc image, changing the .toast extension to .iso or .dmg and burning that file using Disk Utility.

My inclination is to focus on the drive and/or its firmware. Those Matshita slot-loading drives used by Apple aren't very good and Apple rarely updates firmware to support new media. But just because that's my inclination doesn't mean I'm correct.

Have you tried Save as Disc Image from the File menu and then burned the resulting disc image using the Image File setting in the Copy window?

Have you tried reducing the burn speed to, say, 4X instead of using "Best"?

You also might try saving as disc image, changing the .toast extension to .iso or .dmg and burning that file using Disk Utility.

Thanks for your response. I followed your suggestions of the 2nd and 3rd paragraphs, i.e. disc image/copy image and writing at 4x instead of "Best"

It is perfect when viewed in DVD Player. When I take it to my JVC in the home entertainment setup it is extremely slow in getting started and once started it "stutters" - both video and audio. The jerkiness of the two seems to be in sync.

Any ideas?

Also, is replacing the drive a difficult deal? I know how to get the box open ( after !!@#@#@#!)! I had my memory upgraded on a Friday afternoon at a store in Santa Clara, CA. The mechanic forgot to re-connect the the fan sensor up front. The noise was intolerable and I wasn't going to drive back to Santa Clara from Garden Grove. So I learned how to open the box from an on-line video. That said, is the remainder of the replacement process a chore for a former PC tower re-builder?

Regardless of self-do or have-done, what would you recommend as a replacement, in a moderate price range?

I recommend getting an external optical drive and connect by Firewire (my preference) or USB 2. LaCie makes a great Firewire external drive for Macs and also provides firmware updates that can be applied from a Mac. Most drive manufacturers only provide firmware updates that can be applied using a PC.

Did you check Apple's support about whether a firmware update is available for your drive?

Another benefit of using an external drive is that you can turn it off and eject a "stuck" disc when you turn it back on if Toast locks things up without having to restart your Mac.