rhythmia

Yet Another "the File You Are Trying To Use Can't Be Edited, And Was Not Added"problem

Question

I recently bought this computer (read: about a couple months ago) and it came with Roxio Creator Basic v9 and MyDVD9. I tried to make a DVD to back up some videos that I downloaded, and every single file that shows when I go to browse in "Add Movie" comes up with the no entry sign on the icon. I used gspot and it told me I needed the xvid codec which I downloaded, so those files will play in Windows Media Player and in VLC. I looked through several threads in this forum including this one about DivX and EMC and this one with a similar problem to mine.

However, this comp as I said is new, and doesn't have DivX installed on it to be interfering with anything, so I don't think that's the issue....suggestions?

The files I'm trying to use are all .avi, and are files that other people have already ripped, and split into separate parts (to be joined with hjsplit) and uploaded, so they've clearly been edited (or at least well chopped up).

My system: HP running Windows Vista Home Basic

AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3800

1.87GB RAM, tons of hard drive space

NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE nForce 430

Thank you in advance for any help y'all can provide!

2 answers to this question

The 'bundled' versions of software which come preinstalled on computers or given away free with burners are usually cut-down versions with many of their functions disabled.

I have not seen the version which you have, so I can't be authoritative about it. However it is a Basic bundled version so it may not be able to handle AVI files.

Regards,

Brendon

The 'bundled' versions of software which come preinstalled on computers or given away free with burners are usually cut-down versions with many of their functions disabled.

I have not seen the version which you have, so I can't be authoritative about it. However it is a Basic bundled version so it may not be able to handle AVI files.

Regards,

Brendon

I don't know if this would help, but the 'about' section says this is Roxio Easy Media Creator 9 Build 905B72A ENU. The details tab has a long long list of .dll files. *sigh* I wish I knew enough to troubleshoot this on my own. Am I going to have to find a way to convert the files from avi to another format? I'm unfamiliar with what others are compatible, since I've read other threads and people seem to be able to get some avi files and not others to work, and I know that AVI is kind of a general 'covering' for a bunch of other compression formats, right?

ETA: Microsoft AVI is supported, according to the help file. So I'm wondering, what am I missing??

Oh, and thank you for your quick reply. ^_^

Edited by rhythmia