Burning Hdv Qt Movie Files To Blu Ray Bd-r/re

Stucker

Question

I was burned by the Toast 8 'Blu Ray' capacity hype - not realizing it would only 'copy' data files to Blu Ray discs. I have Final Cut Studio edited master sequences of HDV 1080i QT movie files that I want to burn to Blu Ray BD-R/RE discs using my Lacie d2 Blu Ray burner. I thought Toast 8 for my PowerBook G4 would be the answer...WRONG. Anyone have any solutions other than hoping for an Apple DVD Studio Pro upgrade for Blu Ray, or buying Adobe CS3 Universal for the Mac and using Premiere Pro and Encore?

1 answer to this question

I was burned by the Toast 8 'Blu Ray' capacity hype - not realizing it would only 'copy' data files to Blu Ray discs. I have Final Cut Studio edited master sequences of HDV 1080i QT movie files that I want to burn to Blu Ray BD-R/RE discs using my Lacie d2 Blu Ray burner. I thought Toast 8 for my PowerBook G4 would be the answer...WRONG. Anyone have any solutions other than hoping for an Apple DVD Studio Pro upgrade for Blu Ray, or buying Adobe CS3 Universal for the Mac and using Premiere Pro and Encore?

At this time the only way to make a BluRay disk on a Mac is to use Adobe Encore on an Intel Mac. From Encore make a disk image and burn the disk with Toast. Encore is very buggy and will drive you crazy, unless you know the pitfalls. Export H264 files from Final Cut using compressor. Use the 264 HD setting for DVD StudioPro. 720p, but you can raise the data rate. Make sure all files are encoded the same. It takes a LOOOOONNNNG time. Then import the footage into Encore, author your DVD, somewhat simular to DVD StudioPro only like version 2. Make your project settings H264 BluRay. Check and build your project as a disk image. Trust me, do not tell it to build and burn a BluRay disk. Unlike DVD StudioPro, if there is an error or some mishap the program starts over from the beginning, sometimes with a corrupt file. No joy! Once your disk image is completed use Toast to Burn your completed BluRay disk. Sony BDP-S 300 tabletop players WILL play authored disks, as long as the firmware is version 3.06 or higher. The current version is 3.08 and that does work. Although I cannot personally confirm it, It is my understanding that PlayStation 3s with current firmware will also play these authored disks. Good Luck.

Archived