The Cats Meow

Videowave Stops Working At Start Up

Question

Does anyone know if MovieBox DV will work with Easy Media Creator 9?

I have Pinnacle Studio 9 which is not compatible with Vista. I would have to upgrade to version 11.

But, if I can use the MovieBox DV with Roxio, I will not have to upgrade to version 11.

I do not need Pinnacle if I have Roxio. I do not need 2 video programs.

And, besides, Roxio is doing what I want.

16 answers to this question

I see it is a Firewire device. So what happened when you plugged it in and tried to capture from it?

Did you try it from Windows Movie Maker?

I see it is a Firewire device. So what happened when you plugged it in and tried to capture from it?

Did you try it from Windows Movie Maker?

I did not try it yet.

Also, I stopped using Movie Maker, it wasn't as good as Roxio.

I did not try it yet.

Also, I stopped using Movie Maker, it wasn't as good as Roxio.

The suggestion was to use WMM to do the capture if Roxio Import media won't. You can export the file from WMM into a wmv or avi file and then use Video Wave to edit it.

It is a Firewire device, so any capture program should work with it…

But my subtle hint was it could have been tested in about the same time it took to post the question… Well depending on where your PC is and access to the 1394 port :lol:

It is a Firewire device, so any capture program should work with it…

But my subtle hint was it could have been tested in about the same time it took to post the question… Well depending on where your PC is and access to the 1394 port :lol:

Aren't you the funny one.

I wanted to make sure before I unpack it from the wrapping protecting it and connecting to my camcorder with rca cables, setting up the camera, getting the tape out, setting up the camera, plugging it in, connecting the firewire. Turning everything off before connecting. Starting everything up. I am already tired just writing all that I have to do.

I hate it when I go to all the work and it does not work. That is frustrating. Now I have to put it all back.

I will be trying it hopefully tomorrow.

Thanks for your input.

The Funny One is thinking, but it would be OK if one of us unpack ours, get out our camcorder, set everything up and… Just kidding but I think these device as pretty darn rare – you are the first person I have heard of that owns one!

Keep us advised.

The Funny One is thinking, but it would be OK if one of us unpack ours, get out our camcorder, set everything up and… Just kidding but I think these device as pretty darn rare – you are the first person I have heard of that owns one!

Keep us advised.

I wonder if that device needs updated drivers to work with Vista? That was needed for the DVC 90 device.

I can't find anything on their web site that says it will work with Vista (just XP and earlier) nor can I find any Vista drivers. There are updated drivers for the USB version. Perhaps the Vista built in drivers will work.

You may want to ask on their forums.

Edited by sknis

I wonder if that device needs updated drivers to work with Vista? That was needed for the DVC 90 device.

I can't find anything on their web site that says it will work with Vista (just XP and earlier) nor can I find any Vista drivers. There are updated drivers for the USB version. Perhaps the Vista built in drivers will work.

You may want to ask on their forums.

It is a Firewire device!!!!

Firewire devices work.

USB devices disappoint.

It is a Firewire device!!!!

Firewire devices work.

USB devices disappoint.

Has the OP confirmed that the device is a Firewire device?

I find all kinds of things on the USB version. Until the OP comes back and lets us know, we may be tilting at windmills. The OP has Studio 9 which seems to come with the USB version and not the Firewire version now available.

Edited by sknis

There are two products that are called MovieBox DV made by Pinnacle. You are looking at the Firewire version. The OP indicated that he has the one that came with Studio 9.

Look at this page; specifically Product Specification. It says USB 2; not Firewire.

The page is very confusing since once you go past the USB logo, there is more information for the Firewire requirements.

There are two sides to every story and perhaps two products on some pages. Again unless the OP shows up and tell us if the product is USB 2 or Firewire, we are just guessing.

We should shut down this Pinnacle discussion until the OP comes back.

Edited by sknis

There are two products that are called MovieBox DV made by Pinnacle. You are looking at the Firewire version. The OP indicated that he has the one that came with Studio 9.

Look at this page; specifically Product Specification. It says USB 2; not Firewire.

The page is very confusing since once you go past the USB logo, there is more information for the Firewire requirements.

There are two sides to every story and perhaps two products on some pages. Again unless the OP shows up and tell us if the product is USB 2 or Firewire, we are just guessing.

We should shut down this Pinnacle discussion until the OP comes back.

I have the same one as in the picture Jim Hardin sent. Mine is Firewire 1394.

I have the same one as in the picture Jim Hardin sent. Mine is Firewire 1394.

Ok, then ignore my comments. Re the USB version.

Okay. I tried the MovieBox DV.

I attached my camcorder via RCA cables to INPUT side of MovieBox DV.

I attached Firewire to OUTPUT side of MovieBox DV.

I plugged everything in and started up my computer.

A window appears and asks which software I want to use with the DV attached.

One is Roxio 8 and the other is Microsoft Movie Maker.

I also noticed that it did not appear in MY COMPUTER as a Drive.

I tried Movie Maker and it did not recognize my camcorder.

I tried Roxio 9 (which was an upgrade from 8) and received an error message.

I can send you the exact message if I you tell me how to insert a JPG file.

When I go to INSERT IMAGE, it asks for an http:\\ and my JPG is on my hard drive.

Since it did not work I will go the old way and copy the videos from my camcorder to my Sony Player/Recorder DVD and then

capture the DVD using Roxio.

This way I wouldn't have to buy pinnacle software just to use the MovieBox DV.

I don't know if anyone out there is old enough to remember 8mm and Super 8.

Those that are can appreciate what I am doing.

I am copying my old 8mm and Super 8 to my camcorder.

I wanted to go directly to computer from my camcorder, but as I said above, the MovieBox DV did not work

I will be going from 8mm & Super 8 to my camcorder and then from camcorder to my to DVD player/recorder to create a DVD which

I will then use to capture the videos to my computer.

Then I can get rid of all the old reels of movies.

Ignore this. All of a sudden it started to work fine. Go Figure!!!

When I select VideoWave and say New Production and say ADD Photos/Videos and after

it goes to where all my video files (DMSM, AVI, WMV) are, the program stops working and Vista windows

closes it and it generates the following error:

Problem caused by DivX™ Codec

This problem was caused by DivX™ Codec. DivX™ Codec was created by DivX, Inc..

DivX, Inc. is aware of this problem and working as quickly as possible to make a solution available.

Recommendation

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To learn more about this problem, DivX, Inc. recommends that you go online to the following website.

DivX, Inc.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rate this response:Provide Feedback

The first time I got this error, I downloaded the DivX fix and that caused so many problems that I had to revert

back to before installing DivX fix. Lucky me, I had set a Restore Point prior to installing DivX fix.

Now I keep getting it again and cannot install it and can not use VideoWave.

Stuck and don't know what to do now.

Edited by The Cats Meow

Got it!

Pinnacle Forum came through!!

They told me that I could use a free software called WinDiv.

I tried it and it worked.

Here is what I told them, thanking them very much for their answer:

WinDiv worked. It was a Zip file that executes it's own viewer for capturing from the camcorder.

I transferred my videos using the MovieBox DV as an interface between my camcorder and my computer.

It worked!!

It created an AVI file that I was able to play on Windows Media Player.

Now I can use VideoWave to trim and add text, etc. to it.

Edited by The Cats Meow