Lost Video Sound

Starstruck

Help! I am getting no help from HP on this so I am turning to helpful Roxio folks. I have lost the sound on all my videos on my hard drive! The sound files (MP3 etc.) play just fine, but videos downloaded from Rapidshare, my video cameras, etc. show only pictures and very faint sound or no sound at all. I went through all the diagnostics on my computer and nothing worked. Any help would be appreciated.

Kay

Kay,

Have you checked the volume settings on your sound card?

Many systems show a loudspeaker in the system tray (bottom right corner of your screen usually). Double-clicking on that brings up a panel of volume controls.

If you can find this panel on your machine, check and make sure none of the controls are muted or set to a low value. If they are okay check the controls on your video player, or try playing the videos in another player to try and track down the fault.

Thanks for replying, Brendon. Yes, I checked the volume controls first thing; all are set to highest level and nothing is muted. I just don't understand why sound files play fine but the sound on videos doesn't play, and I need to know what to do to fix the problem. A new sound card perhaps? Is that an expensive repair? Any suggestions are welcome!

Kay

Kay,

Have you checked the volume settings on your sound card?

Many systems show a loudspeaker in the system tray (bottom right corner of your screen usually). Double-clicking on that brings up a panel of volume controls.

If you can find this panel on your machine, check and make sure none of the controls are muted or set to a low value. If they are okay check the controls on your video player, or try playing the videos in another player to try and track down the fault.

I don't think it's likely to be a faulty sound card Kay, since you can hear sound files okay.

What video players have you tried these video files out on? You need to try several to establish that it isn't just a broken video player program.

Archived