Fails At "adding Assets To Db...."

drbgaijin

Question

Small projectswith 1 or 2 titles have had no problem with authoring and writing to File or .iso with Blu-Ray

This weekend I have tried a larger project.

5 titles.

All titles transcode successfully - all goes well until "Adding assets to DB....."

At this point the job is stopped and I have "The disc writing process was interrupted either because of an error or because it was cancelled....."

To get to this point takes about 3.5 hours.

I have tried various options. Write iso, write file, but all end up failing at the same point.

17.5 hours later I still have had no luck.

Any tips or suggestions.

Regards,

Douglas

PS. I have also contacted support (but it is the weekend in the USA just now..... so I don't expect any reply from them until at least another 24 hours have passed)

9 answers to this question

One small suggestion - check to see if your hard drives are not too full and if they need defragging - there are a number of causes for this but I have found very full hard drives (> 70 %) or ones that the particular assets you are loading are severely fragmented can cause this. Good Luck.

Thanks for the reply.

No problem with freespace on the drive. More than 60% free.

But I will check how the defrag sistuation is.

Regards,

Douglas

douglas, I think defragging should help a lot. if you experience this issue again, you should pull your transcoded files out of the temp folder. if you do that you can then import those files into your project and you should be able to output an ISO without any transcoding in just a few minutes time. you can find the location of the temp "project" folder by looking in File > Preferences > File control

I have a new installation with DVDit Pro HD and percieve exactly the same failure at the same position of a creation of a BD-Volume. During "Adding assets to DB..." I get the failure: "Disk write error, bla bla bla".

I installed the application on a test system (also XP Prof.) which has only Media Composer and Liquid Vhrome Xe installed. It produces the same failure at the same position.

I have then installed the application on a Windows Vista-64 system running on the same machine. Samew behavior. The Vista system has anly Liquid 7.2 installed when I added DVDit Pro HD.

Is the presence of a BD-recorder necvessary to produce a BD-volume or BD-image?

Joachim

if you are using your machine for a lot of video editing and continually importing video, outputting video timelines and deleting video, your hard drive may need to be defragmented. one of the users on this forum found that his video was fragmented into hundreds of pieces and that when he corrected that issue the error went away.

douglas, I think defragging should help a lot. if you experience this issue again, you should pull your transcoded files out of the temp folder. if you do that you can then import those files into your project and you should be able to output an ISO without any transcoding in just a few minutes time. you can find the location of the temp "project" folder by looking in File > Preferences > File control

Thanks for the additional ideas, Scott.

I will be defragging later today... and try again. Also I will look for the temp files.

In the meantime I tried a different approach.

I took the QT reference files to Sorenson Squeeze and transcoded using the Blu-Ray preset.

Those files went "straight through" DVDitPro and a test with titles produced the Blu-Ray iso image with no problems.

So I will play around with all the suggestions and try and find the best workflow.

If I discover anything of interest I will post back here later on.

Regards,

Douglas

if you are using your machine for a lot of video editing and continually importing video, outputting video timelines and deleting video, your hard drive may need to be defragmented. one of the users on this forum found that his video was fragmented into hundreds of pieces and that when he corrected that issue the error went away.

My disks are 100% unfragmented, as I continuously run Diskeeper 8.0 over night.

Jaochim

Thanks for the additional ideas, Scott.

I will be defragging later today... and try again. Also I will look for the temp files.

In the meantime I tried a different approach.

I took the QT reference files to Sorenson Squeeze and transcoded using the Blu-Ray preset.

Those files went "straight through" DVDitPro and a test with titles produced the Blu-Ray iso image with no problems.

So I will play around with all the suggestions and try and find the best workflow.

If I discover anything of interest I will post back here later on.

Regards,

Douglas

I seem to not only have gotten everything under control again but also have found some

very useful additions to my workflow.

I should explain that most of my editing is centred around making a collection of video

shorts about different aspects of life here in Japan - from a different angle than the usual.

First of all I defragmented all my drives.

They did not seem to be very fragmented and I have more than 50% free space on all

drives that are being used in my projects.

This has probably helped, but I cannot be certain.

What I am doing now:

Edit in Avid Media Composer.

Export finished shorts as QT Reference files.

Author in DVDitPro HD.

Now here is the big change in my workflow. It is in the Preferences set-up (Thanks to

Scott for the idea!)

From day 1 I have had my preferences set to "Delete the temporary files every time I exit

the application"

I did it originally thinking that I would not get my hard drive filled up with temp. files.

That was a big mistake. Whenever I have had a "crash" recently - all the transcoded files

have been deleted!! I had to begin from the beginning again.

Now after I burn a Blu-Ray image, I also have compliant video and audio files left in the

Project temp. folder!

The burns have been 100% successful since the defragging.

If there should be a failure in the future ....... I will just salvage whatever compliant files are

left in the Temp.folder and use them in the next attempt.

But now the big plus for me are those xxx.m2v and xxx.ac3 files in the temp folder.

I now collect them in a special DVDitPro Compliant Files Folder.

As my collection of shorts grows I can pick and mix from the DVDitPro Compliant Files

Folder and author special versions and collections.

Adding or subtracting a short is very easy now.

The burning of Blu-Ray images now swishes through.................... minutes instead of

hours!

Regards,

Douglas

I have solved the problem. It was my fault. I imported a still picture (.JPG) and immediately dragged it on the menue place in the project folder. I added buttons and text, and linked the buttons. When creating the BD volume, the menue caused the error.

I have now dragged a menue from the included examples and replaced its background by my still picture, added buttons etc., and the BD volume cration worked flawlessly. Apart from my fault in the workflow, I have learned a lot of how to handle the transcoded files. And thanks to comments made by Scott and Douglas I learned how to use them.

Joachim

Small projectswith 1 or 2 titles have had no problem with authoring and writing to File or .iso with Blu-Ray

This weekend I have tried a larger project.

5 titles.

All titles transcode successfully - all goes well until "Adding assets to DB....."

At this point the job is stopped and I have "The disc writing process was interrupted either because of an error or because it was cancelled....."

To get to this point takes about 3.5 hours.

I have tried various options. Write iso, write file, but all end up failing at the same point.

17.5 hours later I still have had no luck.

Any tips or suggestions.

Regards,

Douglas

PS. I have also contacted support (but it is the weekend in the USA just now..... so I don't expect any reply from them until at least another 24 hours have passed)

One small suggestion - check to see if your hard drives are not too full and if they need defragging - there are a number of causes for this but I have found very full hard drives (> 70 %) or ones that the particular assets you are loading are severely fragmented can cause this. Good Luck.

Archived