Widescreen Squished Into A Letterbox

MJHartsough

Question

I've been using "Dell Movie Studio" (Roxio Videowave) for several years. I just bought Easy Media Creator 10.

I shot my video in 16:9 ratio.

When I set up my production I set the aspect ratio to 16:9.

It looks fine when I'm editing, but when the final product shows up on my non-widescreen TV, the video looks like it's a letterbox that's been squished inside another letterbox.

I expected one letterbox, but I don't know why I got a letterbox inside a letterbox.

I'd appreciate it if someone could tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks,

Mike

13 answers to this question

It's a Panasonic PV-GS320, Mini-DV.

You may have to use the Quick Movie Magic or MotionDV STUDIO software that is included with the camcorder.

I'm not certain anyone here has experience with that software to know if it will export video that EMC 10 can use properly.

It's a Panasonic PV-GS320, Mini-DV.
Are you capturing to MPEG 2? There was an issue with 16:9 and MPEG with earlier version of EMC, but I thought it was fixed in EMC 10. Make sure you are capturing to DV AVI via firewire and try again. Also make sure that Videowave is set to 16:9 when you are editing.

Thanks for the recommendations.

Yes, I use the Motion DV Studio software to capture the video to my hard disk.

I capture to AVI format.

I have been using USB. I see in other threads that there are issues capturing via USB vs Firewire that I wasn't aware of (I was surprised to learn that you lose resolution with USB - I've been unhappy that I bought a new 3 CCD digital camera and my images weren't any better than on my old Analog Hi8 camera, and maybe it's due to capturing over USB!??!).

It's funny - the guy who sold me the camcorder also sold me a Firewire card, but when I saw that the camcorder had a USB interface, I tossed the Firewire card into the closet. Guess I'd better start digging in my closet for that Firewire card. :o

I'm fairly certain it's getting captured correctly - a couple months ago I made a project in the "normal" ratio, and everything was stretched vertically on the TV (for that one I did the capture with Motion DV Studio, and edited and burned with Dell Movie Studio). But I will double-check.

Thanks again,

Mike

Are you capturing to MPEG 2? There was an issue with 16:9 and MPEG with earlier version of EMC, but I thought it was fixed in EMC 10. Make sure you are capturing to DV AVI via firewire and try again. Also make sure that Videowave is set to 16:9 when you are editing.

Mike, check to see if your computer already has a firewire input port, already. You can look at the back of the computer to see if you have one, and you can also look in Device Manager, under IEEE 1394 Bus Host Controllers.

Nope, no preexisting Firewire. Only took about 5 minutes to install the new card. It started working immediately. I didn't have to install any drivers.

I'm a little frustrated though. Since installing the card, the video doesn't show up in MotionDV Studio's preview pane, except if I Minimize, then Maximize the entire window while the video is playing. When it does appear in the preview pane, it looks like there's a problem with the refresh rate. It looks like every 4th or 5th frame is getting displayed. If I "stop" the video, the image disappears, and doens't come back until I "play", minimize, maximize. The problem occurs whether I'm using the new Firewire card, or USB 2.0, which used to work.

Guess I need to hop over to ULead's web site to see if I can get help with this...

Since you have the firewire working, EMC 10 should capture from the Panasonic just fine.

Connect the camcorder via firewire and turn it on to VCR or Playback mode

You should hear a sound from Windows when it recognizes the camcorder

Then launch Videowave

File / New and choose 16:9 widescreen

Then click File / Capture Video

This brings up Media Capture 10

click the VIDEO TAB

Click the drop down list and select the Panasonic camcorder

Make sure you are capturing to DV AVI

choose a folder to save in

choose a filename

You can also Play/Fast Forward/Rewind to position the tape using the VCR controls in the software

When ready, click CAPTURE NOW

Click Stop or wait until it gets to the end.

When you close Media Import, I think your file will automatically be loaded into Videowave for editing. Has been awhile since I did it that way.

Since you have the firewire working, EMC 10 should capture from the Panasonic just fine.

etc.

Yes, I just tried that (I like the idea of using just one video package). It works fine, except when I "preview" the captured video, there's no audio.

I just posted a question about this over on the AV Capture forum.

Another odd thing is that if I click "capture now", while the video is playing, it stops the tape, rewinds it a bit, then restarts the tape. Is that normal for Media Import? Never happened with MotionDV Studio or Dell Movie Studio, so it seems odd to me.

Thanks,

Mike

. I didn't have to install any drivers.

If you don't install the drivers that either came on a CD or are available at the manufacturer's website, Windows will automatically install their default drivers.

Now occasionally the default drivers are all you have for hardware. However, if the manufacturer provides drivers, that will make the hardware work properly.

As to the rewinding..... Capture doesn't start working immediately. So rewinding the tape a bit allows it to capture from the point where you hit 'capture'.

It's funny - the guy who sold me the camcorder also sold me a Firewire card, but when I saw that the camcorder had a USB interface, I tossed the Firewire card into the closet. Guess I'd better start digging in my closet for that Firewire card. :o
Oops... ;) Absolutely, you need that firewire card and cable!!! I'm not familiar with Panasonic, but with Sony camcorders, the USB is only for transferring still images or connecting the camcorder as a webcam. Audio isn't transferred at all with USB on a Sony camcorder. Most camcorders only have USB 1 which isn't fast enough for full quality video. Some of the newer non-tape camcorders may have USB 2.

Get that firewire card installed, hook up the camcorder and capture about 5min for testing. I think you will see a world of difference in the quality!

If you don't install the drivers that either came on a CD or are available at the manufacturer's website, Windows will automatically install their default drivers.

Now occasionally the default drivers are all you have for hardware. However, if the manufacturer provides drivers, that will make the hardware work properly.

As to the rewinding..... Capture doesn't start working immediately. So rewinding the tape a bit allows it to capture from the point where you hit 'capture'.

Didn't get any drivers. The installation instructions showed pre-existing folders on the C: drive, but didn't explain how those got there. :blink:

Thanks for the info on the "capture", sounds like it's working per design.

Thanks for the recommendations.

Yes, I use the Motion DV Studio software to capture the video to my hard disk.

I capture to AVI format.

I have been using USB. I see in other threads that there are issues capturing via USB vs Firewire that I wasn't aware of (I was surprised to learn that you lose resolution with USB - I've been unhappy that I bought a new 3 CCD digital camera and my images weren't any better than on my old Analog Hi8 camera, and maybe it's due to capturing over USB!??!).

I'm fairly certain it's getting captured correctly - a couple months ago I made a project in the "normal" ratio, and everything was stretched vertically on the TV (for that one I did the capture with Motion DV Studio, and edited and burned with Dell Movie Studio). But I will double-check.

Thanks again,

Mike

Mike, check to see if your computer already has a firewire input port, already. You can look at the back of the computer to see if you have one, and you can also look in Device Manager, under IEEE 1394 Bus Host Controllers.

What kind of camcorder? If you are using a miniDVD (tiny DVD discs), there is a known issue. if not, then let us know what type of camcorder. Also JVC hard drive models do not use standard MPG files and that is also a known issue with 16:9, but you cna get those to useable format with the included Cyberlink software.

Archived