• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 8 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Capture Problems From Camcorder Mini-dvd

Syrallas

Question

Hi,

I've been converting old home videos from my 8mm tapes to DVD w/ no problem capturing in EMC 10 through composite 2 input, but when I try and capture home movies made on my more recent mini-DVD (1.4 gb) discs w/ my disc drive, the program only captures the first chapter, then stops capturing. I tried to capture the separate chapters individually, but it then hangs up. I can resort to a composite video capture, but I don't know why it won't capture all data off the disc drive

18 answers to this question

Thanks for the info ...

Its a Sony Handycam DCR-DVD201.

I gotta look for the manual.

This is my suspicion -- based on the VRO issue. Whenever you put a new disc in to record, you can choose Video or VR recording modes -- or something like that. The VR mode allows you to edit the videos you are burning -- for ex. someone got in your way filming a shot of your kids running on the beach -- before you finalize a disc ("in- camera editing). So in VR recording mode, you can reuse that portion of the disc right away -- you edit out the bad scene. In the "Video" record mode, you are stuck w/ everything -- the good and the not so good clips -- until you erase the whole disc (if its a DVD-RW).

So, I bet I recorded this in VR mode, which (unknown to me until now) doesn't give me the VOB files even when finalized (which the disc defintitely is)

but rather the (un-capturable) VRO ones.

So ... I will look for the manual, try the suggestions you guys have graciously offered, and report back w/ results.

Thanks again for helping!

Tom

I tried the "File / EDIT DVD DISC" option, but got a "No Editable Disc Was Found" sign. : - (

BUT, you guys did solve the problem, and gave a logical explanation for some things I didn't get into in my earlier post, like:

1. Why did some mini-discs worked, and others did not; and

2. Why did a standard size DVD also fail when I burned the mini-Disc onto a standard disc.

1. Because sometimes I recorded in Video mode -- and those work here, while other times I recorded in VR mode;

2. The standard sized DVD was merely a copy of the non-capturable data on the mini-dvd; it was not the disc size that was the problem but instead the data on the disc -- VR mode data -- which I have now sworn off.

But thanks to all for walking me through the problem; there is a logical answer, and not just a shrug of the shoulders and a "who knows?"

Tom

B'Ville, NY

Check your camcorder manual ( pg. 91 ).

Your camcorder included Image Mixer software which should allow you to capture the video through the USB port.

According to the manual, you can also duplicate the DVD using the computer, the USB cable and that software.

I actually dug up the disc and the USB cable -- and the software they included to capture onto a computer its not Vista compatible! :angry:

I will see if I get anywhere w/ the Sony website, but late last night, it looked like their "update" for the software to make it Vista compatible was "n/a" :o

My lesson: Use Video mode going forward and use composite input to capture VR mode recordings :mellow:

Tom

Just getting back to you -- it did not work.

Here are some details:

The mini (camcorder) disc is finalized. The data is stored not as a VOB file, but rather as a VRO file -- one that videowave does not seem to recognize. (Changing the extension does no good).

So although any "standard" size 4.7 GB discs get captured fine, I cannot for the life of me get these camcorder / mini (1.4) gb discs to be fully captured, either by importing the movie that appears in the capture screen, or clicking on the chapters list generated when you click on the link. So ... it recognizes the movie (or else it wouldn't show the movie in the capture screen), but it only captures the first segment of the movie -- which I have been calling chapters -- the first section up until it fads out to the next clip.

Anyone out there working with these camcorder sized mini-dvds? It is soooo time consuming going the composite capture route, but what the heck is my choice?

Tom

I actually dug up the disc and the USB cable -- and the software they included to capture onto a computer its not Vista compatible! :angry:

I will see if I get anywhere w/ the Sony website, but late last night, it looked like their "update" for the software to make it Vista compatible was "n/a" :o

Sony has this update: http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu-downl...851&SMB=YES

Make certain that you read the entire support page because there are cautions about installing it.

Just getting back to you -- it did not work.

Anyone out there working with these camcorder sized mini-dvds? It is soooo time consuming going the composite capture route, but what the heck is my choice?

Tom

What is the make and model of your camcorder?

Did the camcorder come with software to capture and edit the video?

When you finalize the miniDVD , the VRO should be converted to VOB files. Check your camcorder manual for different recording modes. Even my set top can use VRO mode, but I chose not to use it. VRO is a special EDITING record mode so the camcorder can randomly access and change stuff.

If you can't find anything, there is one last thing to try. Put the miniDVD into your computer drive. Run MyDVD and then choose File / EDIT DVD DISC. IF it works, you should see the different scenes or clips to choose.

If that doesn't work, you will need to use the software that came with your camcorder to capture to a file that EMC 10 can use.

I actually just completed an on-line chat w/ a Sony representative who confirmed Image Mixer Software v 1.5 included w/ the camcorder is not Vista compatible. :mellow: (I think your link is for a different product but thanks)

I suggested that they do something so that products don't become obsolete w/i a couple of years. :wacko:

Tom

Even the VRO's are not created equal… My Sony Recorder would make them but they were unreadable on any other Player…

My Panasonic Recorder makes them, but they are unreadable on the Sony or anything else. – Even my PC will not allow me to explore the disc whereas the Sony VRO disc at least could be explored…

Given the inconsistencies of camcorders, makes my head spin just thinking about it!

I actually just completed an on-line chat w/ a Sony representative who confirmed Image Mixer Software v 1.5 included w/ the camcorder is not Vista compatible. :mellow: (I think your link is for a different product but thanks)

I suggested that they do something so that products don't become obsolete w/i a couple of years. :wacko:

Tom

You're correct. HOWEVER, if you go to this page and check for your camcorder, you'll see a note 2 that tell you to upgrade to the Vista compatable software. http://esupport.sony.com/perl/news-item.pl...p;mdl=DCRDVD201

Scroll down on the page to find your camcorder and the note 2 has a link to that software.

( I have a Sony camcorder too so I'm pretty familiar with their website. I was checking on my camcorder to see what was compatable with Vista. )

Thanks, I'll try that.

I was capturing composite because the capture feature using the disc in the drive was stopping after 1st chapter, and I couldn't think of any other way to get the data into the computer. Do you think I may have erroneously chosen a setting that tells the capture to stop after the capturing the first chapter on the mini-DVD? It was driving me crazy, but I got over it after my time-consuming work-around.

But thanks very much for the quick reply, I will try your suggestion and let you know.

Tom

Baldwinsville, NY

Archived