• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 6 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Common Avi Used By Digital Cameras

bostondriver

Question

I'm trying to convert movies made by my camcorder to AVI which the masses can see via the web. Does anyone know what video codec(s) are typically used by these devices? I'd like to use Videowave to convert to a similar AVI.

My camcorder ONLY supports 30 minute DVD-/+R. There is no USB or firewire. My only option is to finalize the DVD and sneaker net to DVD driver on the PC, or use my capture card to import the movie. So MPEG-2 seems to be the format I have to start with.

When I use several digital cameras to take video, and import to the PC, they are in avi using a codec that "works". I can publish the photos and these avi files using e.g. JAlbum Everyone who needs to (e.g. Grandparents) can see the video just fine.

When I try converting using Videowave, no matter what I select (so far) as the output, I haven't been able to replicate what the cameras produce. The conversion does work, and with the right plug-in (e.g. DivX on Firefox), my systems can watch just fine. Other people who tried at best, get asked to download the file (e.g. when I convert to wmv) vs. watch in their browser.

So rather than continue to do this via trial and error, I thought someone here may know that to "output as" in Videowave.

4 answers to this question

Beautiful flowers slideshow, Steve! So relaxing :) Thanks for posting it.

WARNING : Guru drift.

Yes, I like to take pictures (not a photographer). It is amazing what you can do with the right equipment although my digital camera is getting long in the tooth. I posted it since some people ask what kind of things you can do with images and a slide show. I could not find any good music to go with it though. :)

It is a good example of performance of a Flash video (via VideoWave and Camtasia 3). It is about 10 minutes long and takes 2 minutes or so to download.

I'm trying to convert movies made by my camcorder to AVI which the masses can see via the web. Does anyone know what video codec(s) are typically used by these devices? I'd like to use Videowave to convert to a similar AVI.

My camcorder ONLY supports 30 minute DVD-/+R. There is no USB or firewire. My only option is to finalize the DVD and sneaker net to DVD driver on the PC, or use my capture card to import the movie. So MPEG-2 seems to be the format I have to start with.

When I use several digital cameras to take video, and import to the PC, they are in avi using a codec that "works". I can publish the photos and these avi files using e.g. JAlbum Everyone who needs to (e.g. Grandparents) can see the video just fine.

When I try converting using Videowave, no matter what I select (so far) as the output, I haven't been able to replicate what the cameras produce. The conversion does work, and with the right plug-in (e.g. DivX on Firefox), my systems can watch just fine. Other people who tried at best, get asked to download the file (e.g. when I convert to wmv) vs. watch in their browser.

So rather than continue to do this via trial and error, I thought someone here may know that to "output as" in Videowave.

Regardless of the format, the videos have to be download to the local computer for them to play. Most players can start playing them before they are entirely downloaded.

AVI is almost a generic term for file format- they can run from DV AVI to DivX so simply saying AVI is not enough. DivX files are highly compressed and need a program to play them.

Personal preference - upload them as WMV or, if you have your own web site as Flash files. I have done both on my web site. The demo videos I made for EMC 9/10 and this one are flash videos. WMV are larger and take more time to play than flash. You can do wmv in Video Wave; there are some free flash converters out there. For that flash file, it takes about 2 1/2 to 3 minutes to download the 10 minute video that plays in the browser.

Have you looked at BUZZ (link)? It is free and help automate the task to load the videos to hosts sites like UTube. Do not buy it, there is a free version that will work just fine.

As usual, I probably put in too much information and confused you. Sorry.

AVI is almost a generic term for file format- they can run from DV AVI to DivX so simply saying AVI is not enough. DivX files are highly compressed and need a program to play them.

This I learned from people here. I know that DivX isn't the codec to use. I'm looking for the "right thing" that will generate an avi container when I use Videowave "output as". I tried a few (DivX, mp4) that didn't work. A few others (wmv) at least let one download the file (vs. playing in the browser.)

I'm trying to see what the working avi's are made up of, then I'll see if Videowave has something that looks close. In the mean time, I'll take educated guesses as to what to try next. (Of course, if the grandparents didn't fly south for the winter I could walk a DVD over to their house....)

Thanks.

Archived