My Dvd Hq (high Quality) - Can't Burn

ILUVAWNINGS

Question

10 answers to this question

On the lower right corner of MyDVD, what disc size does it say? If it is currently set to 4.7gb disc, try the 8.5gb. If no issue, burn an image file. After that use Disc Copier to burn the image file to the disc.

PS: Leave the quality setting to HQ.

I don't think that is going to work…

If you burn an ISO for a DL disc, that ISO will be locked into a DL disc and will not work on a 4.7gb disc.

The question is what else does the OP have on that disc that is pushing it so high???

A 53 minute movie will handily fit onto a 4.7gb disc even at HQ!

I don't think that is going to work…

If you burn an ISO for a DL disc, that ISO will be locked into a DL disc and will not work on a 4.7gb disc.

The question is what else does the OP have on that disc that is pushing it so high???

A 53 minute movie will handily fit onto a 4.7gb disc even at HQ!

Disc Copier will compress it to fit to a 4.7gb disc. I have done a couple of times. Of course the downside is degradation in quality.

The OP couldn't burn it (as it appears the target disc is not enough). Hence my suggestion to allow a bigger target disc.

Glad to hear it burned succesfully to the 4.7gb disc even if the target disc was set to DVD 8.5gb in MyDVD.

I don't think there was compression involved since you specified DL disc for target disc size and the actual destination (the 4.7gb disc) is still bigger than the resulting ISO file.

I haven't tried the "fit-to-disc" option of MyDVD. You may want to experiment and judge for yourself.

Describe how you created the menus and what titles (dmsm or actual video clips) you brought in. Maybe we can spot something if you provide more details.

If you are referring to the audio that came with the preset menu style, I haven't found a way to adjust its volume. You may want to change that using your own audio file. In that case, you can adjust the volume.

After burning the disc, I closed MY DVD. I came back to it a while later, pulled up the same project. To my surprise, I was now able to set it up to burn in HQ mode. Thinking back, I recall at one point inadvertently placing the same 52 minute movie in the project two times. I did omit one of them, but I'm thinking MY DVD didn't re-set properly. I burned the project again and created a 4. something GB disc image and now have a DVD in HQ. Nevertheless, it is good to know about this workaround (setting disc size to DL) for future issues.

Regarding the audio, I captured the Roxio audio and adjusted the volume, then put it back in the project. Now I don't have a volume problem.

Disc Copier will compress it to fit to a 4.7gb disc. I have done a couple of times. Of course the downside is degradation in quality.

The OP couldn't burn it (as it appears the target disc is not enough). Hence my suggestion to allow a bigger target disc.

I did this as you suggested. I was able to get it on the 4.7gb disc. Hard to tell if there is degradation since the movies are digitized 8mm film, some of it 40 years old. However, I do think I can see a loss in quality from the master, and that is a concern of mine. Also, curious as to why the ISO file is 2.6gb in size. Is that the result of compression?

That's almost half the size of the DVD capacity. Am I better off using MYDVD and selecting "fit to disc"? I know there is some loss here too, but maybe not as much?

I'm still wondering why I can't get 53 minutes on the 4.7gb disc without doing these workarounds. I have a bunch of menus and three 10 second videos used on menu buttons, but these shouldn't increase the file size, should they?

One other glitch. The menu audio that came with Roxio is WAY TOO LOUD. Is there a way to lower the volume?

Glad to hear it burned succesfully to the 4.7gb disc even if the target disc was set to DVD 8.5gb in MyDVD.

I don't think there was compression involved since you specified DL disc for target disc size and the actual destination (the 4.7gb disc) is still bigger than the resulting ISO file.

I haven't tried the "fit-to-disc" option of MyDVD. You may want to experiment and judge for yourself.

Describe how you created the menus and what titles (dmsm or actual video clips) you brought in. Maybe we can spot something if you provide more details.

If you are referring to the audio that came with the preset menu style, I haven't found a way to adjust its volume. You may want to change that using your own audio file. In that case, you can adjust the volume.

I tested this before posting and it kicks out disc and demands a DL be inserted!

Now since this was EMC 10 and not V9, I decided to revisit the issue.

An ISO created that is less than 1 hour burns without any problem.

An ISO created that exceeds 1 hour gets tossed out! At least I thought so as I heard the drawer open and the error message shown below came up!

I finally noticed that the message was referring to my E:\ drive, whereas the burn was targeted for my F:\ drive???

I took the media out and put it into the E:\ drive and it is happily compressing 2+hours onto a 4.7gb disc!

Apparently, at least in EMC 10, if it doesn't like the media in the selected burner it will jump to the next and even though the error message is demanding DL media, it will accept lesser media.

Must be one of those undocumented features that the rest of call Bugs!

post-39730-1205235064.jpg

Archived