Firefox 3 Beta 4 Is Fast

Beerman

The almost-but-not-quite-final beta of Firefox 3 (FF3 beta 4) is now available for download. The most noticeable improvement is speed. In some tests, it’s three times faster than Firefox 2 (meaning the test completes in 1/3 the time), and a whopping five times faster than IE 7:

post-79-1205245041.png

Firefox 3 Beta 4 is 5x faster than IE7, 3x faster than FF2

(Source: Mozilla Links)

Other improvements in beta 4 include:

* Smarter location bar that tunes itself to your browsing habits. As you type in part of the URL it will offer suggestions based on where you’ve been before.

* Better native look-n-feel on Vista, Mac OSX, and Linux. This includes continuing work on icons, menus, native controls.

* Zoom just the text or the whole page. Zooming the text was one feature I missed from Firefox 2.

* Reduced memory usage. This is the main reason I switched to Firefox 3 for my everyday use. The old version often became unstable after a long session with many tabs open.

To see all the changes made so far in Firefox 3 read this excellent summary by Percy Cabello or see the release notes. Mozilla watchers expect one more beta before the production version is released.

Article

There is one major feature that keeps me from using FireFox and that's how it fills in as you type in a URL. It doesn't have all the options that Seamonkey has.

That happens because you have chosen that option. In Preferences go to Advanced > General > untick "Search for text when I start typing". Enjoy FireFox!

Nope sorry... I have gone through ALL of the previous versions of FireFox and none of them have had the option that I use. All they had was immulating IE which I hate. If FireFox 3 has added this option, I might try it again. Besideds, I'm quite happy with Seamonkey and they do keep updating it.

post-49-1205349047.jpg

Doesn't sound like what I am looking for. When I start typing in a URL, Seamonkey starts to auto fill in the rest. NO DROP DOWN LISTs or searching for words.

---

Definitely NOT what I want. Here is the difference. Firefox 3 just show a list and then I have to use cursor down or use mouse.

In Seamonkey, all I had to do was type 'fo' and it fills out the rest and all I have to do is hit the ENTER key. ALL LOT less key strokes to get to the same website.

Kind of a bad example, but you can see what I mean. I have written the dev team at FireFox several times to add the autocomplete feature and they never have.

post-49-1205350013.jpg

post-49-1205350019.jpg

Tick the box that Beerman has indicated and the URL should auto complete.

That IS EXACTLY what I did in FireFox 3 beta. All I get is a drop down list of possible URLs. (see my screenshot above) That is not what I want and I don't consider a long list of URLS as 'autocomplete as I type'. That's just plain guessing and giving me bunch to choose from. Just like IE which I HATE with a passion.

Looks like I'll be sticking with Seamonkey.

That IS EXACTLY what I did in FireFox 3 beta. All I get is a drop down list of possible URLs. (see my screenshot above) That is not what I want and I don't consider a long list of URLS as 'autocomplete as I type'. That's just plain guessing and giving me bunch to choose from. Just like IE which I HATE with a passion.

Looks like I'll be sticking with Seamonkey.

closed.gif

cd

The almost-but-not-quite-final beta of Firefox 3 (FF3 beta 4) is now available for download. The most noticeable improvement is speed. In some tests, it’s three times faster than Firefox 2 (meaning the test completes in 1/3 the time), and a whopping five times faster than IE 7:

post-79-1205245041.png

* Smarter location bar that tunes itself to your browsing habits. As you type in part of the URL it will offer suggestions based on where you’ve been before.

* Better native look-n-feel on Vista, Mac OSX, and Linux. This includes continuing work on icons, menus, native controls.

* Zoom just the text or the whole page. Zooming the text was one feature I missed from Firefox 2.

* Reduced memory usage. This is the main reason I switched to Firefox 3 for my everyday use. The old version often became unstable after a long session with many tabs open.

To see all the changes made so far in Firefox 3 read this excellent summary by Percy Cabello or see the release notes. Mozilla watchers expect one more beta before the production version is released.

Article

post-79-1205245041.png

Article

Was not surprised that the red shift theme wasnt working in beta 3 but was surprised that additional themes were removed in beta 4 compared to beta 3 (e.g. NASA). Thought successive betas were meant to edge closer to the final product.

Archived