Sound Editor - Save File?

georgeretired

Question

To my dissapointment, when editing a sound file, this component does not provide for a straight file save. Instead, you must save a Project, with its own file extension and use another step to save the sound file to a folder.

I believe that previous Easy Media Creators allowed for a direct open of a sound file and save of it to its original folder.

Am I missing something? :angry:

9 answers to this question

Gary, that's exactly what the OP is complaining about. He prefers the "edit in place" style of the old (pre-version 7.5) Sound Editor to the "project style" editing of the current Sound Editor where a Ctrl-S saves the project, not the edited file.
Got that, I was talking about EMC 10. The 'old way' of editing hasn't been around for a LOOONG time. I've used several sound editors and none of them manipulate the actual sound files any more.

Got that, I was talking about EMC 10. The 'old way' of editing hasn't been around for a LOOONG time. I've used several sound editors and none of them manipulate the actual sound files any more.

Thank you all for the input. I was dissapointed that if I have an mp3 file, and I wanted to edit out a piece of it, at the start, end or in the middle, I preferred to Open that specific file, do my editing and then just have the choice, which I do not know what version was, but then I could Save or Save As.

Regardless if the "Project" is what the system uses now, I have no good reason to save a "Project". I just want to save the original file, save or save as.

I appreciate the info about Exporting the audio file, it is just that the "Project" thing got in the way for me.

I understand now, although I can't tell you when I was able to "save" the file directly from the Editing screen. Thanks.

Thank you all for the input. I was dissapointed that if I have an mp3 file, and I wanted to edit out a piece of it, at the start, end or in the middle, I preferred to Open that specific file, do my editing and then just have the choice, which I do not know what version was, but then I could Save or Save As.

Regardless if the "Project" is what the system uses now, I have no good reason to save a "Project". I just want to save the original file, save or save as.

I appreciate the info about Exporting the audio file, it is just that the "Project" thing got in the way for me.

I understand now, although I can't tell you when I was able to "save" the file directly from the Editing screen. Thanks.

The last version that had that feature was EMC 7.

Well, I'm still running an older version of GoldWave, 4.25, and it does "edit in place" as does DART XP Pro.

To my dissapointment, when editing a sound file, this component does not provide for a straight file save. Instead, you must save a Project, with its own file extension and use another step to save the sound file to a folder.

I believe that previous Easy Media Creators allowed for a direct open of a sound file and save of it to its original folder.

Actually, ever since the updated Sound Editor in EMC 7.5 you've had to go through the "Export Clip/Tracks" step to apply the changes you've made. Earlier versions didn't treat your editing as a "project" which could be saved separate from the sound file, you edited the audio file directly and when you saved, you save the altered audio file.

So, it's only "new" since EMC 7.5, what was the last version of EMC or ECDC that you had?

Oh, and technically, you don't need to save the Project file, just do the export.

What you are saving is NOT a sound file, but the instructions for the edits you are making. The original is never touched unless you overwrite it. As far as I know, previous versions worked the same way.

As Frank points out, the correct way is to 'export current clip'. You then have several choices of file types: MP3, WAV, etc.

What you are saving is NOT a sound file, but the instructions for the edits you are making. The original is never touched unless you overwrite it. As far as I know, previous versions worked the same way.

As Frank points out, the correct way is to 'export current clip'. You then have several choices of file types: MP3, WAV, etc.

Gary, that's exactly what the OP is complaining about. He prefers the "edit in place" style of the old (pre-version 7.5) Sound Editor to the "project style" editing of the current Sound Editor where a Ctrl-S saves the project, not the edited file.

"...this component does not provide for a straight file save"

Just for mu own edification, could you explain what you mean by a "Straight File Save" ?? Or is Dave correct in assuming you just want to click on "CTRL-s" and be able to save the edited file ?

Frank...

Archived