• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 9 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Sata Blu-ray Drives

MikeBar

Question

Will the updated blu-ray extension allow burning to a blu-ray drive such as the GGW-H20L (LG) in a MacPro with the drive attached to one of the motherboard SATA ports. Currently every feature of the drive works except Toast 8 freezes when a blu-ray disk is inserted.

Mike

8 answers to this question

If that's so the case, then why Toast 9 didn't allow me to burn a BD disc before I had installed the extension? I'm sure you are right, but I think there's something built in Toast that prevent you from accessing the BD video menu if you don't have the extension installed.

Cheers

We might be confusing the Toast HD/BD plug-in and the Toast BD Disc Support option that is installed on first launch.

The Blu-ray Extension installed by Toast is only to allow you to read the BD filesystem in Finder. If you're on Mac OS X v10.5, which already has this capability, the extension actually serves no purpose. It has nothing to do with being able to burn to the drive.

I have a Sony 4x SATA BD recorder in my Mac Pro, and can also burn without issue. I'm not saying there may not be a problem with some drives, but the method in which the drive is connected doesn't change the write commands to the drive. I'll install a GGW-H20L later in the week and see how it works internally....

If that's so the case, then why Toast 9 didn't allow me to burn a BD disc before I had installed the extension? I'm sure you are right, but I think there's something built in Toast that prevent you from accessing the BD video menu if you don't have the extension installed.

Cheers

I just upgrade to Toast 9, and tried the blu-ray disk again with the LG GGW-H20L. The drive is correctly identified as being on the SATA bus now.

Again Toast freezes when a blu-ray disk is inserted.

I force quitted Toast and then finder popped up a window saying that I insterted a blank Blu-ray disk asking me what I want to do with it.

As for the other functions CD, DVD, and Lightscribe work great with this drive.

There must be an incompatibility with Toast and this particular drive if other blu-ray burners work on the SATA bus.

Also this drive does work with Toast and blu-ray disks if I use a USB to SATA adapter or and IDE to SATA adapter, so I know there is no issue with the drive itself.

Mike

Actually the drive is fine, if I use a SATA to USB or SATA to IDE adapter it (blu-ray burning) works great, just does not work when attached to the SATA bus. There are numerous reports of owners of this drive on various discussion groups that have exactly the same issue (check out the drive database on xlr8yourmac). The toast blu-ray extension and/or Toast 8 does not work with blu-ray on the SATA bus of the MacPro. And since most users who will likely need to burn a blu-ray own MacPro and all the new drives are SATA, I would hope that Roxio would fix Toast to be compatible with this combination.

Mike

Actually the drive is fine, if I use a SATA to USB or SATA to IDE adapter it (blu-ray burning) works great, just does not work when attached to the SATA bus. There are numerous reports of owners of this drive on various discussion groups that have exactly the same issue (check out the drive database on xlr8yourmac). The toast blu-ray extension and/or Toast 8 does not work with blu-ray on the SATA bus of the MacPro. And since most users who will likely need to burn a blu-ray own MacPro and all the new drives are SATA, I would hope that Roxio would fix Toast to be compatible with this combination.

Mike

The Blu-ray Extension installed by Toast is only to allow you to read the BD filesystem in Finder. If you're on Mac OS X v10.5, which already has this capability, the extension actually serves no purpose. It has nothing to do with being able to burn to the drive.

I have a Sony 4x SATA BD recorder in my Mac Pro, and can also burn without issue. I'm not saying there may not be a problem with some drives, but the method in which the drive is connected doesn't change the write commands to the drive. I'll install a GGW-H20L later in the week and see how it works internally....

sounds like a drive problem. I don't recommend the LG for BD. Only good drive is the Panasonic/Sony.

Not sure why you are biased towards the Sony and Panasonic drives. The latest LG model burns faster, is less expensive, and also supports HD-DVD viewing, and reviews have been stellar everywhere I've seen them.

I also can't get my GGW-H20L to work with Toast via an eSATA interface (MacBook Pro through the expresscard 3/4 slot). Through firewire 800 and a FW/SATA converter, it seems to work fine in an external enclosure. I had to jerry-rig an old IDE enclosure since the drive is too long to fit in all the optical drive enclosures I've seen on the market so far. More info on compatibility, etc. can be viewed on the drive compatibility database of xlr8yourmac.com.

Archived