• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 12 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Problems Creating Dvd-r From Dvd-ram

tlctom299

Question

This one is driving me nuts (and causing a lot of coasters). I upgraded from 6.1.1 to 7.0.2 last week, and have been extremely pleased at the capability of copying files from my collection of DVD-RAM disks to DVD-Rs. However, I've run into a real snag and would like to find out what I'm doing wrong (if anything).

So far, I've copied about 30 half-hour TV comedy episodes from DVD-RAM to DVD-R, re-organizing them (thank goodness!) at the same time. I've sat down and watched some (but not all) of the episodes and I've been pleased with what I've seen.

My problem has been with a commercial VHS video tape -- a movie from the 1960s. It's old enough so that there is no copy protection, so that isn't what's causing my problems. I've been able to copy the tape to both DVD-RAM and DVD-R directly, and both play well. I've edited the DVD-RAM to split the movie into segments -- and that still plays well. However, when I copy it from the DVD-RAM to a DVD-R using Toast 7.0.2, the DVD stutters terribly when played back on my Panasonic DVD Recorder.

My first attempt was to record it onto a Dual Layer DVD+R (it actually comes on TWO tapes), and that plays well on any computer I try it on (where the DVD drive is DL-capable). In the Panasonic, it stutters. If I do just the first DVD-RAM onto a DVD-R, it stutters. I've read the DVD-RAM from three different drives and written the DVD-R on two different drives (two computers, running 10.4.4 and 10.4.5). I've burned about half-a-dozen DVD-Rs now, and they all stutter the same way.

In the middle of this, I recorded another DVD-RAM from an old tape, edited it on the Panasonic, put the DVD-RAM in my Mac, burned a DVD-R, and it played perfectly. No stutter. To follow up, I recorded the problem movie from VHS to a different DVD-RAM, moved it to my Mac, and burned a DVD. Same result.

Sometimes, it goes for a while without stuttering. It seems that if I play it at double speed in the Panasonic, it sounds typical for that experience. If I then slow it down, it will play properly for a few seconds.

The only thing I can think of is that it may be the sound from this tape. It has an incredible amount of sound -- perhaps Toast cannot handle that? The Panasonic apparently can, as it plays the tapes and the other DVDs of this movie without problems.

Other than this, I'm delighted with the new version of Toast, but haven't tried out some of the new goodies. That will happen soon enough -- but can someone please help???

Thanks in advance for any help at all!

2 answers to this question

Since you are able to play the same DVDs fine on the computer, I would first suggest you to try using different brand of media. Try Verbatim and see if that helps..

Thanks for the idea, but if media is the problem, why are six DVD-Rs playing properly in the Panasonic (the old tape and the TV episodes)? If I can find another one around here, I'll try it, but I just bought a spindle of 100.

This one is driving me nuts (and causing a lot of coasters). I upgraded from 6.1.1 to 7.0.2 last week, and have been extremely pleased at the capability of copying files from my collection of DVD-RAM disks to DVD-Rs. However, I've run into a real snag and would like to find out what I'm doing wrong (if anything).

Since you are able to play the same DVDs fine on the computer, I would first suggest you to try using different brand of media. Try Verbatim and see if that helps..

Archived