• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 11 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

How'd They Do That!?

jroc

Question

If you go to Roxio MyMoments and view the Featured Gallery, "Winter Sports Slideshow" you'll see why I titled this post as I did. How do you create such things as the pink motion overlay with snow flakes falling, plus the other overlays (I'm assuming these are overlays). I don't see things like that offered in Videowave's Add Overlays. That show and others have some very cool effects that I'd like to learn how to do. Anybody? :mellow:

Jim

If you go to Roxio MyMoments and view the Featured Gallery, "Winter Sports Slideshow" you'll see why I titled this post as I did. How do you create such things as the pink motion overlay with snow flakes falling, plus the other overlays (I'm assuming these are overlays). I don't see things like that offered in Videowave's Add Overlays. That show and others have some very cool effects that I'd like to learn how to do. Anybody? :mellow:

Jim

Read some of the posts by Karri in the "tips & tricks" forum for EMC 9. They might help you. I would think that you will learn mostly by experimenting!

Guest RCD74
I could try posting some 'frame' overlays for users to customize in their own productions, if anyone is interested. I'd just have to know what types of designs people would like.

Thanks to your tutorial on custom overlays, I have made a bunch of my own, as well. If you figure out how to post them for others to use, let me know and I will do the same with some of the ones I have made. Thanks.

Rachel

Jim

You are correct, those are not available as ready-made overlays. CineMagic has some interesting intros that are created for you, but I didn't see that one. I've found free stuff like that on the net. Just got to spend time searching.

Karri is good at this stuff. As malatekid posted, I bow down to your expertise and patience. :D

I haven't talked to her yet but I'm thinking of becoming her agent. Send the checks for the instructions to me. ^_^

So where is the party? I know New Years is a long way off but no harm in planning early. B)

You are correct, those are not available as ready-made overlays. CineMagic has some interesting intros that are created for you, but I didn't see that one. I've found free stuff like that on the net. Just got to spend time searching.

If you notice, they didn't say WHICH Roxio product was used to make that slide.

I suspect that it's the Toast addon pack ( of course, you'll need a Mac) here: http://www.roxio.com/enu/products/accessor...2/overview.html

Guest RCD74

That was awesome Karri!! I have learned so much from you. I am now waiting for your detailed tutorial!! Thanks for sharing that. It was truly the work of a professional!!

Rachel

We read your discussions and wanted to outline for everyone how this is done in Creator 10.

To create these types of slideshows you will need to utilize both Photosuite and Videowave. Photosuite will help you create an overlay with a "window" (aka frame) of any compatible image you can import into Creator 10 (Jpeg, etc). To create a frame for your slideshow, use one of the Cutout Tools in Photosuite to remove the middle of the photo or design. Once saved, the file will be converted to a .png file so that that slideshow is framed. JPEG files do not have this ability.

Once you have the transparent overlay (or frame), it can be imported over your VideoWave slideshow by dragging and dropping the .png image onto your Overlay track in VideoWave. Since the overlay will only be over a single image when imported, you'll need to expand the duration of that overlay for the whole production. You can do this by grabbing the object markers (orange markers on the yellow slide) just under the preview window and sliding them to each end of the production. Of course, you can add as many overlays as you like to a given slideshow.

As an FYI, when you drag the last marker, your playback head (blue triangle) will drag along with it. Be sure to drag it back to the beginning to see the preview. Also, when creating your slideshow, you may want to avoid the pan & zoom feature as the overlay may limit your photo's total viewing area. You don't want to unintentionally clip out

the mother-in-law (little humor thrown in there).

Anyway, I hope this helps some of you out. We'll be creating a full tutorial on this process soon.

ggrussell, where do you find those free on the Internet?

ml, good find on the Toast styles. I think most of the slideshow could be created using PhotoSuite and VideoWave, too. Take some time though, and I'm not sure how they created the overlay that appears to drop down with the noise effect and then back up. Be fun to try though.

jroc, Here is a link to a tip that might help you get started creating custom overlays. Depending on your version Flash player, the audio might be garbled. (I'm working on fixing them.)

http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=32767

(Thanks myguggi :))

If you notice, they didn't say WHICH Roxio product was used to make that slide.

I suspect that it's the Toast addon pack ( of course, you'll need a Mac) here: http://www.roxio.com/enu/products/accessor...2/overview.html

If they used Toast, wouldn't that be misleading adverstising? Bait & Switch? Perhaps Roxio legal should take a look at those pages. ;)

---

Karri - I visit a lot of sites / forums and it's amazing what you find links to. LOL Ulead had some free stuff for their video editor. I'm always checking out other applications and sometimes they have free stuff posted. Looking for fun stuff? Check out www.archive.org. Even full length old movies, cartoons, clips and more. All free and royalty free.

Looking forward to the tutorial, too, but to be more specific, how did they create the anitmated snow falling? I haven't found that anywhere in Videowave 10 or MyDVD or DVD Express. That is something I think should be added to EMC 11. Lots of reuseable, simple overlays with alpha channel (that works) like falling snow, falling leaves, rain, etc.

post-49-1205787803.jpg

I checked out the link on ml's post and it looks like he is correct in saying that the snow animation is there. The following in quotes is from ml's link. Do I understand correctly that Toast is only for Macs?

"The Fall & Winter Fun Toast 7 menu styles enhance the TV navigation experience for your Video CDs, Super Video CDs, DVDs and Music DVDs. These 5 beautiful high-quality styles change the menu backgrounds, button shape and placement, and font type and size. Personalize your discs and dazzle your audience with Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, Snowfall and Valentine premium menu styles!"

This is a great effect. Is there a Roxio product for PC's that will duplicate this animation?

No and that's why I think legal should take a look at how 'MyMoments' is being promoted. The website doesn't specify which app or apps were used which I find very misleading. Or perhaps Sonic/Roxio should have the exact same menu styles for both platforms!

What I would like to see is reuseable clips that I can use in my own video or on a menu. Choice and flexibility!

---

Karri - I visit a lot of sites / forums and it's amazing what you find links to. LOL Ulead had some free stuff for their video editor. I'm always checking out other applications and sometimes they have free stuff posted. Looking for fun stuff? Check out www.archive.org. Even full length old movies, cartoons, clips and more. All free and royalty free.

Thanks! I noticed Digital Juice has a few motion elements for free download, too. I might try those out. Also, I signed up with Motion Loops and they give you one free download a week (their pick). I haven't had good luck with archive.org. I would get an error message more often than not and so haven't been back in a while.

OT: I'm pretty sure I downloaded a trial of Ulead last year when I was first deciding which program to buy, but I hadn't been back since. I didn't put together (or never thought about) that it is the same company that bought Paint Shop Pro? If I remember, PSP had an animation tool; I imagine integrating PSP with a video editor would let you produce lots of cool motion effects ... hmmm :)

ok, I could make some snow fall and rotate, but not waft so nicely like in the Roxio video. Everything else, like Gary said, I could do in VideoWave and Photosuite. I did add 2 motion backgrounds, the red at the beginning and the champagne at the end.

So I am also eager to view John at Roxio's tutorial, especially to learn how to create, or access, this very pretty snowfall clip :)

Here is my re-creation. I didn't follow it exactly, but I think I got close. I agree it would be great to have easily reusable elements as suggested by Gary and ml.

http://roxioemc.bravehost.com/winter_ss/winter_ss.html

Hi, Karri,

Can you let us know how you re-created the falling snowflakes?

thanks!

Eveln

ok, I could make some snow fall and rotate, but not waft so nicely like in the Roxio video. Everything else, like Gary said, I could do in VideoWave and Photosuite. I did add 2 motion backgrounds, the red at the beginning and the champagne at the end.

So I am also eager to view John at Roxio's tutorial, especially to learn how to create, or access, this very pretty snowfall clip :)

Here is my re-creation. I didn't follow it exactly, but I think I got close. I agree it would be great to have easily reusable elements as suggested by Gary and ml.

http://www.emctips.com/if/sample_winterss.html

Let me know where you find the animated snow. Yes, you can MAKE custom frames in PhotoSuite and I recognize most of the transitions, but I don't know of ANYWAY to recreate the animated snow in Videowave (that I pointed out in my attachment above). But seriously, does Sonic/Roxio think a user SHOULD HAVE to go through that much trouble to recreate what they post in MyMoments? The website makes it sound EASY.

Let me know where you find the animated snow. Yes, you can MAKE custom frames in PhotoSuite and I recognize most of the transitions, but I don't know of ANYWAY to recreate the animated snow in Videowave (that I pointed out in my attachment above). But seriously, does Sonic/Roxio think a user SHOULD HAVE to go through that much trouble to recreate what they post in MyMoments? The website makes it sound EASY.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I think providing animations in EMC would be great. Even the ability to pick apart the preset themes and use the individual elements in other ways would be appreciated, absolutely. When I view the samples on My Moments, if I like it, I think ... now how did they do that? and start picking it apart ... So that's why I posted what I did. I will let you know how I make out with it :)

What's even worse is that none of those frame overlays is available in VideoWave ( at least I can't find them) That means you'd have to make them yourself which is a real hassle.

I agree that the My Moments should tell which program actually made the project and include steps on how to do it. Some of them look like they were made in VideoWave and Cinemagic, but the really cool ones do NOT look like they were made in EMC 10.

I actually own another program that has two types of Snow and if the poster would like to know which one it is, you may send me a Private Message.

Thanks everyone! malatekid, a lot of what I know I've built on the great information found in the posts on this message board. So I thank all of you.

Gary, it wasn't that bad really lol ... Once I created the first flake, I just cut and pasted it randomly, then made some position adjustments.

Steve, I was thinking the party would be at Roxio ~ unless you were planning to bring expensive gifts and lots of beer, then my house will work :D Oh and, you're hired! I'm thinking more partnership though :P

Jim and Rachel, I am working on tutorials for new users right now, basically starting at the beginning and going step by step through the process. This was just a little more advanced, although by no means undoable, I imagine the creative people at Roxio have a much easier way to do it. That's why I am eager for them to post their tutorial. I will put it on my list though :) I'll also try to figure out how/if I can post the snowflakes overlay so you could just use it in your own productions, if you wanted to.

I could try posting some 'frame' overlays for users to customize in their own productions, if anyone is interested. I'd just have to know what types of designs people would like.

Thanks again for all the feedback :)

karri

Gotta say Karri -- you're good! ;) Close enough, but how much time did you put into that? Apparently you have more patience than some of us. LOL

Thanks :) I spent a couple of hours each night on it. I knew I could make the snow fall (thx to myguggi's Dallas effect post), but I had to figure out how to make the flakes rotate (Crazy Spin effect). Making them waft using VW would take more time than I had to spend on it. I took the music from the Smart Sound audio selector, except for the first clip, which I took from the EMC 10 source files in the Programs folder. The "frame" overlays I didn't spend much time on, and I adjusted a couple of preset text effects, so they took almost no time. Then it was just adding the transitions and the 2 motions backgrounds. I can't wait to learn more in the tutorial.

Archived