• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 7 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Divx Convert / Save Is Avi

travelfurther

Question

Hello,

i've looked on da forums and find nothing like this.

I wish to simply take some video files and convert them to divx

(i'm using EMC 10 on Vista).

I open the copy/convert part, get the source files, set my divx options, the it asks only what folder to save it to.

then it says 'converting to Divx' or similar.

but after the hours it takes, i open up and find a .avi file, not divx!!

I've just this with 2 diff computers and different source files, but get .avi - no divx.

what gives?

6 answers to this question

Many of the XviD codecs will decode DivX AVIs, and vice versa. If WMP wouldn't play an AVI for you it may have been encoded/compressed with one of the other codecs [i263; IV41; IV50; MP42; MP43. . . etc] which you don't have installed on your system.

The GSpot codec information tool is a very good utility which will check which compressor was used in your AVI, and whether you have the required codec(s) installed. It is a free download here (click to download).

The unique .divx extension is applied to an AVI file by programs like the DivX converter. I usually just rename them to .AVI since more programs and set-top DVD players recognize the AVI extension than the .divx extension at this point in time.

The version of DivX that EMC10 uses, splits output AVIs into 2 GB chunks. I'm told it is a peculiarity of that particular version, and that later versions of DivX don't do that. Since DivX can compress a 90-minute movie to a good-looking AVI of 700MBs or an excellent AVI at 1.4GB, I wonder how much your DivX is set to compress [if anything] if the output file is bigger than 2 GB?

Regards,

Brendon

Thanks for comments -- all a learning experience.

Also to realise EMC10 is not the tool to make divx files as i tried again, and there is no compression options that i can see, and i've looked around.

i would like 90 min of video compressed to a good looking 700mb, but emc 10 isn't the tool for it..

travelfurther

The avi file is just a container for a different file type.What's actually there is a Divx file.It could be other things also like Xvid.If you were to take that file and burn it to a dvd and had a dvd player that played Divx it would work.

Take a look at this.

There is a very crude way of making the AVI smaller in EMC10. When you go to do the conversion and set your file output type to DivX, have a look at the options button on that page.

post-208-1205896851.jpg

You could lower the output resolution one notch. It's very crude but it might be good enough for you. :blink:

With the regular DivX codec and other applications I can get into the codec and set my own parameters, even setting the desired size of the output file. A much better way to do it.

after the hours it takes, i open up and find a .avi file, not divx!!
Any reason why you think those AVI files are NOT DivX? As pointed out, AVI is a 'container' and many different types of compression can be used like DivX, Xvid, DV AVI and even Quicktime.

AVI just happens to be a very common DivX file extension.

Any reason why you think those AVI files are NOT DivX? As pointed out, AVI is a 'container' and many different types of compression can be used like DivX, Xvid, DV AVI and even Quicktime.

AVI just happens to be a very common DivX file extension.

:huh: hmmm... i guess i have some things to learn about Divx..... I didn't realise that until now, and i thought i knew what most formats were all about...

But... how does one get the unique .divx extension then? It's no wonder some of the .avi's i been passed here and there won't play in media player as they were probably divx, unbeknownst to me. They all play fine in the great vnc player though ;-)

Ok, last question then - why is it that EMC 10 split my file then into two separate .avi's then?? I didn't ask it to, and there's seemingly no options for that..

And yes, i'm using and NTFS drive to write to...

thanks,

travel

Many of the XviD codecs will decode DivX AVIs, and vice versa. If WMP wouldn't play an AVI for you it may have been encoded/compressed with one of the other codecs [i263; IV41; IV50; MP42; MP43. . . etc] which you don't have installed on your system.

The GSpot codec information tool is a very good utility which will check which compressor was used in your AVI, and whether you have the required codec(s) installed. It is a free download here (click to download).

The unique .divx extension is applied to an AVI file by programs like the DivX converter. I usually just rename them to .AVI since more programs and set-top DVD players recognize the AVI extension than the .divx extension at this point in time.

The version of DivX that EMC10 uses, splits output AVIs into 2 GB chunks. I'm told it is a peculiarity of that particular version, and that later versions of DivX don't do that. Since DivX can compress a 90-minute movie to a good-looking AVI of 700MBs or an excellent AVI at 1.4GB, I wonder how much your DivX is set to compress [if anything] if the output file is bigger than 2 GB?

Regards,

Brendon

Archived