cdanteek

Windows Vista Delay, Good News For Apple!

Windows Vista Delay: Good News for Apple?

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,125168,00.asp

Delay could prompt holiday shoppers to check out Apple's wares--and it might force PC vendors to offer incentives to keep customers from straying.

Yardena Arar, PC World

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Microsoft's decision to delay the consumer versions of Windows Vista until early 2007 could encourage some holiday computer buyers to get Macs instead, industry analysts say.

"This gives Apple the biggest competitive advantage they've had in history from Microsoft," veteran technology consultant Rob Enderle, founder of the Enderle Group, said of the delay announced earlier Tuesday by Jim Allchin, co-president of Microsoft's Platform and Services Division.

Allchin told a hastily convened teleconference that Microsoft would release volume-licensed versions of Vista by year's end, as previously announced, but that consumer versions--including those preloaded on new PCs--would not be available until January 2007.

Allchin said that Microsoft was not worried about competition from Apple, but Enderle said that Microsoft may be underestimating Apple's potential, especially since the company is expected to introduce some appealing new products in time for the holiday season.

"I don't think anybody over there is really taking the Apple stuff seriously," Enderle said. "That's a mistake."

IDC analyst Bob O'Donnell agreed that a Vista-less holiday season would benefit Apple. But he added, "You have to keep it in perspective. Even if they [Apple] gain a full percentage point of market share because of this, that still only moves them to three-and-a-half, four-and-a-half percent market share."

Vista for Nonexistent Buyers

Both Enderle and O'Donnell said that it was ironic that Microsoft is making Vista available in late 2006 to volume licensing customers, since these are typically large corporations that may not migrate to Vista until 2007 or 2008 anyway. Corporate IT departments wouldn't have budgeted for a 2006 deployment, Enderle said.

O'Donnell speculated that announcing the volume-license availability in 2006 was a face-saving ploy that allowed Microsoft to say that it was meeting its earlier commitments to deliver Vista by year's end.

But the holiday season is by far the biggest technology-buying quarter of the year for consumers, and O'Donnell said that Vista's delay is bad news for PC vendors who were counting on the new OS to boost holiday sales. "They're going to have to do something--maybe a free coupon for an upgrade to Vista or something like that--to lessen the blow," he said.

Major vendors had no immediate word on any such plans--or for the matter, on the impact of Vista's delay. "We don't speculate on financial performance," Dell spokesperson Tom Kehoe said. "As a company we remain ready to ship Vista when it's available and are excited to do so."

"HP does not publicly disclose details about unannounced products or the terms of our partner agreements," spokesperson Melissa Stone said in an e-mail statement. "HP continues plans to support Microsoft's upcoming Windows Vista operating system across the company's consumer and business product lines."

Allchin said that Microsoft decided to delay release of consumer versions of Vista in order to meet industry demands for a firm product roadmap and to keep the playing field level for all of its PC manufacturing customers, but he did not elaborate.

Enderle said that he believes Microsoft could have made the consumer versions of Vista the direct vendors to direct-market vendors like Dell in late 2006 but decided not to do so because this would have given Dell an unfair advantage over competitors such as Hewlett-Packard, which need more time to get Vista PCs into retail stores.

They're damned if they do and damned if they don't. The retailers want it out before the end of the year Christmas shopping season and the bona fide computer user wants it out only when it's ready and free of problems. What to do?

They're damned if they do and damned if they don't. The retailers want it out before the end of the year Christmas shopping season and the bona fide computer user wants it out only when it's ready and free of problems. What to do?

Oh, if they have the minimum system requirements, they can do the coupon-when-we-have-it bit. :)

But remember, this problem with temptation from the Apple goes clear back to Adam and Eve ... :huh:

Lynn

Guest mlpasley
Oh, if they have the minimum system requirements, they can do the coupon-when-we-have-it bit. :)

That coupon-when-we-have-it wouldn't appeal to me. Upgrading from one version of Windows to another has always left computers plagued with problems.

Unfortunately, I don't see Apple gaining much more market share unless their prices go down dramatically.

Delay could prompt holiday shoppers to check out Apple's wares-

Funniest thing I've read in years! LOL If I had wanted an Apple, I would have bought one 20 years ago. Although got to admit the younger generation is much easier persuaded.

Funniest thing I've read in years! LOL If I had wanted an Apple, I would have bought one 20 years ago. Although got to admit the younger generation is much easier persuaded.

Okay question, have you ever used one? :)

I will take the bait. Yes I have but looked like this! OldApple.jpg

Seriously the first puters that were put out on the shop floor at John Deere were Apple 1980's.

cdanteek

I will take the bait. Yes I have but looked like this! OldApple.jpg

Seriously the first puters that were put out on the shop floor at John Deere were Apple 1980's.

cdanteek

Aside to you, Dan. I see that Lowes is now handling John Deere lawn tractors. Lowes's is building a new store in my area, which is not a big market area. It will kill the two small JD dealers here. :)

Edited by grandpabruce

Aside to you, Dan. I see that Lowes is now handling John Deere lawn tractors. Lowes's is building a new store in my area, which is not a big market area. It will kill the two small JD dealers here. :huh:

Nice avatar picture............grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :)

Guest mlpasley

I have and I loved it. Just couldn't afford it.

Artists love Apples and the computers seem to be designed to appeal to that type of user. I think that they're more 'mouse' oriented than keyboard oriented.

They appeal to 'non techies' who just want to be able to do their job without 'fiddling' with the operating system. Personally, I think that's the way a computer should operate. Unfortunately, most of the world works on Microsoft.

Okay question, have you ever used one?

As a matter of fact, I did. It was just as crash prone as any Windows machine I ever had and I got finger cramps from having to hold the mouse button down all the time. I bought it for only one reason - to transfer my PC files to a service bureau for printing. All the service bureaus were Mac and snooty about printing PC files. They never knew my files were made on a PC. LOL

ml - old school thought there. There are plenty of NON TECHIES using PCs these days as evidenced in the forum on a daily basis. If you think a Mac runs without error 100% then you're dreaming. About 10 yrs ago I went to an ALL MAC service bureau just to print one file. Not only did I take down the all MAc network, I locked up 30 Macs connected to it. Go figure! The Mac has all kinds of keyboards shortcuts. In fact - crazy ones with some that are even 4 keys at once!!!!

I don't understand why PC users think that Macs are so perfect. They aren't. I much more prefer the Windows interface, too. hey, but that's just me. :)

Edited by ggrussell

I have and I loved it. Just couldn't afford it.

Artists love Apples and the computers seem to be designed to appeal to that type of user. I think that they're more 'mouse' oriented than keyboard oriented.

They appeal to 'non techies' who just want to be able to do their job without 'fiddling' with the operating system. Personally, I think that's the way a computer should operate. Unfortunately, most of the world works on Microsoft.

What I like about Win98 SE vs WinXP IN PARTICULAR is you can adjust the operating system.

WinXP is "no poken Sie die Fingern in den Maschine" - I detest WinXP.

Lynn

Guest mlpasley
ml - If you think a Mac runs without error 100% then you're dreaming.

I didn't say they were perfect and my experience may have been different because it was a standalone machine. I've used them on networks and that didn't work well, but I chalked it up to the person who set up and maintained the network. Of course, I've also used PCs on networks that weren't worth a darn either.

I think both PCs and Macs have their strengths and weaknesses. Since Apple lost the suit to protect the look of their desktop to Microsoft, it's getting harder and harder to tell them apart for most users.

I personally don't think the delay in Vista is going to upset too many personal computer owners. Most of us are getting pretty tired of being forced to buy a new computer because the new version of Windows requires so many new resources.

Of course, if I was a computer retailer, I'd probably be pretty upset.

I didn't say they were perfect and my experience may have been different because it was a standalone machine. I've used them on networks and that didn't work well, but I chalked it up to the person who set up and maintained the network. Of course, I've also used PCs on networks that weren't worth a darn either.

I think both PCs and Macs have their strengths and weaknesses. Since Apple lost the suit to protect the look of their desktop to Microsoft, it's getting harder and harder to tell them apart for most users.

I personally don't think the delay in Vista is going to upset too many personal computer owners. Most of us are getting pretty tired of being forced to buy a new computer because the new version of Windows requires so many new resources.

Of course, if I was a computer retailer, I'd probably be pretty upset.

LOL! I don't care if it ever gets released. :)