• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 17 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Thinking About Buying This, Need Some Advice

norrin_radd

Question

Hey all,

my hardware:

Sony handycam mini dvd101

Olympus c550 sport zoom

Toshiba Satellite laptop,dvd burner (its only about a year old should exceed the requirements)

I'm looking for better software to make dvds and slideshows and I think I'm just about sold on EMC maybe even deluxe. But I wanted to see if anybody had any experiences with this using my hardware. I guess I would still have to use the pixela software to get my mpegs from the handycam, I use dvdrw's, and the olympus master to get my pics. My main concern is the quality of videos with this software using the format that comes from the handycam, MPEG-4's if I'm not mistaken. And the ability to make portable slide shows, possibly in .exe format or slide show cd's.

Any advice would be appreciated.

8 answers to this question

The miniDVD camcorders use teh MPEG2 standard unless Sony has a new model that I'm not aware. You should be able to use Roxio Media Import to capture from the miniDVD. You just have to finalize the disc in the camcorder first and then just put the miniDVD into the DVD burner in the computer. You can do a search on the forum for 'miniDVD' to read the posts from other users with a similar camcorder.

EMC no longer has the ability to create a .exe slideshow. I think that was dropped after V5 or 6, but you can create VCD slideshows still.

Thanks for the reply. I guess the minidvd's do use mpeg2, I just saw in the imagemixer softwar that you can convert it to mpeg2 and thought they must be mpeg4 by default, kinda weird.

I did do several searches on sony minidvd, sony handycam etc, with not much coming up, just minidvd did much better (duh on my part). thanks. I'll have some reading to do now.

Wonder why they took the .exe slideshow out? I guess the vcd slide show would do nicely.

thanks again.

Thanks for the reply. I guess the minidvd's do use mpeg2, I just saw in the imagemixer softwar that you can convert it to mpeg2 and thought they must be mpeg4 by default, kinda weird.

I did do several searches on sony minidvd, sony handycam etc, with not much coming up, just minidvd did much better (duh on my part). thanks. I'll have some reading to do now.

Wonder why they took the .exe slideshow out? I guess the vcd slide show would do nicely.

thanks again.

The quality of any VCD slideshow is poor, you will get better quality using DVD. Even using DVD don't expect to see the quality of the original jpeg photos. All slideshow on a VCD or DVD are actually movies.

Guest mlpasley
Toshiba Satellite laptop,dvd burner (its only about a year old should exceed the requirements)

Any advice would be appreciated.

It's the 'should exceed the requirements' that concerns me. With laptops, usually the weak link is the video card and onboard sound.

Check the requirements of the program carefully before you buy.

I agree with ml. WinXP barely runs in 256MB of RAM. You really need 512MB or more. EMC8 runs fine on my laptop and defaults to software rendering which means the 3D transitions and effects are not available.

I know that in V7, we were able to create a VCD slideshow with better quality if you did NOT use any transitions. I haven't tried that in EMC8 yet to see if that was still available. Most of the DVD players in my family don't play VCDs so I stick with the DVD Format.

It's the 'should exceed the requirements' that concerns me. With laptops, usually the weak link is the video card and onboard sound.

Check the requirements of the program carefully before you buy.

I guess I shouldnt have been so lazy:

Toshiba P25-S526

Intel Pentium 4 3.2 GHz

512 MB (DDR SDRAM

80 GB EIDE, 4200 RPM

17 in. WXGA TFT Active Matrix

xp pro

Graphic Processor NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200

Installed Video Memory 64 MB

External Video Resolution 2048 x 1536

I did look at the specs before and I think it should do (for a little while anyway), and just didnt feel like looking up the specs lol!

Thanks for the replys

I guess I shouldnt have been so lazy:

Toshiba P25-S526

Intel Pentium 4 3.2 GHz

512 MB (DDR SDRAM

80 GB EIDE, 4200 RPM

17 in. WXGA TFT Active Matrix

xp pro

Graphic Processor NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200

Installed Video Memory 64 MB

External Video Resolution 2048 x 1536

I did look at the specs before and I think it should do (for a little while anyway), and just didnt feel like looking up the specs lol!

Thanks for the replys

You will need a different video card than the one in your machine, if it only has 64MB of memory. That must be an onboard video chip. You will want to get and AGP video card, if you have an AGP slot in that machine.

If you do get a new card, get one with a minimum of 128MB of memory. 256MB would be better, but it isn't necessary.

I didn't see any updated drivers for nVidia GeForce Go5200 on the nVidia website. You will probably have to check with Toshiba for those. Does that video chipset use dedicated RAM or does it use part of the system RAM? You can always increase the RAM in the BIOS it uses the system RAM. Your system should be fine.

have you run the hardware test in MyDVD yet? Launch MyDVD. Click the TOOLS menu and then OPTIONS. If the test defaults to software, the 3D transitions and effects will not be available.

The miniDVD camcorders use teh MPEG2 standard unless Sony has a new model that I'm not aware. You should be able to use Roxio Media Import to capture from the miniDVD. You just have to finalize the disc in the camcorder first and then just put the miniDVD into the DVD burner in the computer. You can do a search on the forum for 'miniDVD' to read the posts from other users with a similar camcorder.

EMC no longer has the ability to create a .exe slideshow. I think that was dropped after V5 or 6, but you can create VCD slideshows still.

Archived