• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 24 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Recommended Video Capture Cards

JeffM0404

Question

I'm looking for recommendations for video capture cards that will work transparently with Media Creator 10. I prefer the use of USB capture devices, but have an empty slot if there are internal PCI cards that will do a better job. Lots of video tapes to convert to DVD, including many Beta tapes. Yes, I still have a working Sony Betamax. Thanks in advance for all the help I can get!

9 answers to this question

I'm looking for recommendations for video capture cards that will work transparently with Media Creator 10. I prefer the use of USB capture devices, but have an empty slot if there are internal PCI cards that will do a better job. Lots of video tapes to convert to DVD, including many Beta tapes. Yes, I still have a working Sony Betamax. Thanks in advance for all the help I can get!

You should look at some of the Hauppauge cards. The software that comes with those devices aren't the best but they are supported by almost every major software program. I own a few of their cards and while support isn't the best (who's is?), I think for your money, it's the best card for general use.

You should look at some of the Hauppauge cards. The software that comes with those devices aren't the best but they are supported by almost every major software program. I own a few of their cards and while support isn't the best (who's is?), I think for your money, it's the best card for general use.

Thanks! Just checked on the Hauppauge cards, and found that they all seem to be for TV viewing and recording. Do these have inputs for analog video devices? Can't seem to find one that is just for video capture.

Thanks! Just checked on the Hauppauge cards, and found that they all seem to be for TV viewing and recording. Do these have inputs for analog video devices? Can't seem to find one that is just for video capture.

WinTV 2000 software will do that but I don't recommend it. Hauppauge cards use hardware mpeg decoders.

Take a look here and here.

My opinion only. Save the slot and put your money into a good video card.

I have a Pinnacle A/d converter card that is very old and still work - I started with V7 and now to V10. Unless you video and audio card are really in sync (I don't know how to do this), you must capture in shorter 10-15 minute segments in order to minimize audio/video sync issues. I you go beyond the 10-15 minute capture the audio will run ahead of the video or vice versa.

Using a USB or Firewire device is not as convenient but it seems to me to keep the audio and video in sync better. I have captured one hour long videos and there were no sync problems. I used the DVC 90 and the DVC 100.

If you have a digital camcorder, and it will act as a pass through device using Firewire that is a good alternative.

Since you didn't post what video card/chip you have, I can't tell if there is a better card. I have an ATI based card (see my signature) and it works well but it needs a lot of power from the buss and from another power connection. I understand that a lot of the new cards have 512 on board and are reasonably priced.

Sorry, I didn't answer your question but I drifted into some options.

Paul, do you know if the new WinTV 6 will work with the older cards?

Not 100% sure Bruce but I can say that my PVR350 on an older machine does not seem to want to work with WinTV 6. In fact, I can't get my PVR500 to work with WinV6 in Vista but can in XP. In another Vista system I'm using the PVR1600 and WinTV6 works fine.......I just don't like it. However, it has done a good job of finding the ATSC channels in my area.

My opinion only. Save the slot and put your money into a good video card.

I couldn't agree more!

Don't know about the newer Hauppauge cards, but my WinTV PVR PCI II has composite input and it captures fine with Media import 10. Video/ Audio sync is fine, too.

Just check the website. It appears they have redesigned their cards. There appears to be a composite video RCA connector, but the website doesn't mention if that is input or output. Audio appears to be 1/8" plug instead of RCA connectors now.

Archived