What Effect Does Dma On/off Have On Dvd?

phillr

Question

I'm on a corporate computer that has pre-installed programs and configurations. Whenever I burn a DVD, I get a warning box telling me that DMA is turn off for my DVD burning device. However, i've been able to successfully burn a few DVDs so far.

Could having my DMA turned off cause problems in the future? Any advantages/disadvantages/known issues of having DMA turned on or off?

3 answers to this question

I'm on a corporate computer that has pre-installed programs and configurations. Whenever I burn a DVD, I get a warning box telling me that DMA is turn off for my DVD burning device. However, i've been able to successfully burn a few DVDs so far.

Could having my DMA turned off cause problems in the future? Any advantages/disadvantages/known issues of having DMA turned on or off?

In addition to what has been said.

Click #3 in my signature, start with 'Information' should answer most of your questions.

Index

* Information

* Resetting DMA using VBS script

* Enabling/Checking Windows 9x/ME

* Enabling/Checking Windows XP/2000

* Enabling/Checking Windows Vista

cd

Absolutely! DMA helps the drive run faster. With it turned off, you CAN NOT burn at high speeds like 16X. Call your IT dept. I'm sure someone over looked it. It should be turned ON.

Sometimes something as simple as removing the drive in the Device Manager and rebooting will turn it on automatically.

Archived