2 Similar Or Same Model Dvd Burners In A Pc

ptbpilot

Question

When installing EMC9 I had quickly read over the Read-Me file. One item caught my eye and I was hoping someone here could elaborate. It said that if you install 2 of the same model DVD burners in your PC, then Roxio might not detect both of them. Has anyone heard of or encountered an issue like this?

I have one Samsung OEM DVD+/-RW in my machine that works really well. Whats more my picky Sony Set top DVD player/burner has no problems with the DVD's I burn in it (no skipping). I'd like to get another of the same since its only $29 and install in my pc so I have 2. But I don't want any copying issues.

Thanks,

Pete

3 answers to this question

This is just an opinion as I don't have identical burners to try the exercise. Once connected to the PC, each burner will be associated to a unique drive letter. That makes it unique and the PC should be able to identify each, and the software should too.

Whenever you burn using Roxio EMC, it always gives a dropdown of selectable burners and their corresponding drive letters.

Don't try a firmware update with both connected tho.. :) I always do this anyway, unhook all drives except the one your applying the firmware update to. Make sure it's set a master, correctly! Flash it, disconnect it, connect the other drive set as master, correctly! Then Flash it, now reconnect the drives the way they were, properly set/pinned!

Just my opinion, I have six BenQ 1640's and five BenQ 1650's plus several other duplicate drives. I don't put two of the same drives in the same pc.... :)

cd

As far as EMC is concerned, I agree with Jess that each drive is by it's drive letter distinguishable, but cd has a pretty good thought about trying to do a firmware update with two identical drives. I'm not sure what would happen as I have never had identical optical drives.

Frank...

This is just an opinion as I don't have identical burners to try the exercise. Once connected to the PC, each burner will be associated to a unique drive letter. That makes it unique and the PC should be able to identify each, and the software should too.

Whenever you burn using Roxio EMC, it always gives a dropdown of selectable burners and their corresponding drive letters.

Archived