Capturing Sound With Sound Card

kenw

Question

I am an XP user with a Creative Sound Blaster Live 24 card. All drivers are up to date. The audio I capture using my sound card and EMC9 sounds great as long as I'm using my sound card to play it on my speakers. When I try to play it from iTunes or another audio program, I can hardly hear it on my speakers. I experience the same problem when using it an EMC track on a slide show/video. The sound is hardly audible. The speakers are ok and all other audio functions are fine. The only problem encountered is playback using captured sound.

BTW, the recording levels on the sound card are fully balanced (L-R) and the audio levels are set to a respectable level, i.e. not max'd out. This phenomenon is encountered when I record in WAV, WMA, MP3 or whatever formats.

Where am I going wrong?

Notes: I'm using following capture setttings: PCM, 44.10khz, 16 bit, stereo; I've adjusted reording level by clicking the "auto" button.

2 answers to this question

I am an XP user with a Creative Sound Blaster Live 24 card. All drivers are up to date. The audio I capture using my sound card and EMC9 sounds great as long as I'm using my sound card to play it on my speakers. When I try to play it from iTunes or another audio program, I can hardly hear it on my speakers. I experience the same problem when using it an EMC track on a slide show/video. The sound is hardly audible. The speakers are ok and all other audio functions are fine. The only problem encountered is playback using captured sound.

BTW, the recording levels on the sound card are fully balanced (L-R) and the audio levels are set to a respectable level, i.e. not max'd out. This phenomenon is encountered when I record in WAV, WMA, MP3 or whatever formats.

Where am I going wrong?

Notes: I'm using following capture setttings: PCM, 44.10khz, 16 bit, stereo; I've adjusted reording level by clicking the "auto" button.

If there are no new drivers, try doing a repair/reinstall on the drivers you have now; they may have been corrupted. Have you tried Creative's speaker setup/settings tool?

If that doesn't help, you might want to play around with the DirectX audio properties. Perhaps turning down the audio acceleration. Go to Windows/Start/Run/ type in dxdiag/OK/ wait for the window to load and look at the two tabs that have to do with sound.

Archived